News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Started by db12, September 24, 2006, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

db12

Hi guys, Doug Schellinger told me there was alot of good info over here, so i thought i would check it out, i'm building a superbird clone and needed some info on suppliers etc., so far looks great, i've learned quite a bit already.

daytonalo

Have you started ? And do you have a plan , as far installing a window plug and going with a metal or glass nose . To do a clone weather its a daytona or bird can very expensive and super expensive depending on you want metal parts or fiberglass
                                                                                                                                                         Larry

db12

i've got the car, its a 70 rr 383 4spd, getting ready to hang new quarters. i want to get it rust free first. i am still searching for suppliers to see whats out there. i'm looking at janak, wingcarfab, dayclona, and showcar body parts. the window plug is availible from janak and showcar in glass, i plan on moulding it in. the daytona guys have it harder than the bird guys when it comes to the plug. the birds plug looks like it just lays over the existing deck panel and window opening plus the bird uses the tri angle pieces and a vinyl top to hide the work. the nose will be glass, im just trying to figure out the easiest way to make the headlight doors work. been reading alot of your posts on that. i have the wing, wing washers, and wing braces covered for about $1250, rear window plug $400, triangle pieces $95, nose and everything that goes on the front for about $3000, i'll have to locate a coronet hood and fenders but its the rear window trim that has me worried. janak has the rear glass but no trim plus after joining this forum i see he takes too long to deliver.

THE CHARGER PUNK

hey if u want al lthe bird parts that are quality, go here www.islandserve.com/~dc99/  -MATT

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Welcome to the best place on the net. You're a glutton for punishment my friend. ;D

Don Currie built my bird clone parts. He built me a steel wing. It's pretty nice. I haven't had time to build the car yet. Too busy working on the daytona clone stuff.
You're right about the rear window problem. With the fiberglass plug you're almost going to have to go with a lexan back window due to the weight of the glass piece. If you're going with the f/g plug and lexan back window, you can just use a black plastic glass molding. Actually looks pretty decent. To use a repro glass back window, you would need to use one of the very expensive steel plugs and then you have the problem with the fact that no one repros the correct moldings . Makes cloning the birds a little tricky.
Here's a pic of a clone that I looked at last week that has the lexan window and plastic filler molding. Keep us posted on your progress.
Larry Roper
hotrod98

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Howie

Welcome to the jungle. If you have thick skin and have a sense of humor you will fit right in. There is a welth of information floating around here. Hope you enjoy your stay and don`t be shy. You won`t find out anything if you don`t ask. There`s a lot of great guys willing to help out.  I`ve been gathering and trying to build my car for over 10 years. Hotrod had my wing on it less than 2 hours.
                                                                                                                        Again Welcome
                                                                                                                        Howard

db12

got my janak catalog today, prices look good but worried that i'll be waiting forever on parts. he says 2-3 months. ???

hotrod98

Discussing vendors is a touchy subject on this board. My suggestion is if you're truly not in a big hurry, go ahead and order the stuff and wait. His stuff is pretty good, actually probably some of the best f/g stuff out there. He's going to want you to order the entire kit. That puts you on the "A" list. Similar to those folks that made big contributions to Jim and Tammy Faye Baker's PTL club and getting in the express lane to heaven, sorta. You could always take the fiberglass plug and have a steel one made using it as a pattern and order the glass back window. I'm almost sure that someone will figure something out on those moldings by the time your stuff arrives. I really wouldn't use that fiberglass plug and lexan back window. That lexan piece will be scratched long before you ever get the car finished and will just get worse every time you wash the car. Or, order a few extra lexan windows  and replace them once a year...your call.  That clone I looked at a couple of weeks ago had the lexan back window and you could barely see through it after just a couple of years of use.
As for me, I'm using the steel wing from Don Currie as well as his fiberglass nose and my lights will be mounted in the lower nose area. No expensive compicated headlamps on this car. I'll install the fender scoops and use an R/T bulge hood for the hood conversion. Don built the steel hood extension as well. I won't use the back window plug or install a vinyl top. My car won't be mistaken for a real bird and that's the way that I want it. Overheating shouldn't be a problem with the 5.7 hemi and 5 speed automatic. I'm building a very nice highway cruiser for those long hauler trips.
I say go for it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams