News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Window Rust...any easy fixes without removing the trim?

Started by Dans 68, July 21, 2005, 08:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

My '73 SE has had some window rust at the window trim for as long as I can remember, and while it does not seem to be getting any worse I KNOW that it is slowly eating away at the metal. What are some good solutions to this, aside from removing the trim, window and completely treating the body of course? I've attached a photo showing the typical condition around the window. Perhaps when I do a complete re-paint I can do a proper repair. But until then...? Thanks guys.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

NHCharger

I hate to tell you, but under that trim it's probably 10 times worse. IMO I would at least remove the trim and see how bad the rust is under the trim. I removed the back window on my 72 last winter and ground out the surface rust and painted it. It wasn't that difficult of a job. The problem is whenever it rains that channel under the trim fills up with water since there is no drain for it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69hemi

Remove the trim now to stop the progression of rust before it turns to holes.   Look it over carefully to make sure the rust does not extend under the glass.   If it does, take out the glass and keep looking until you see the end of the rust.   Using a grinder or sander remove all the rust and don't forget to look under the lip also.   You can treat the area with POR 15 or other rust encapsulator or just give it a shot of etching primer.   Follow with some epoxy primer then high-build primer them paint.   I know it sounds extreme but it is the only way to get rid of it.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

Silver R/T

only way is to remove trim, trim holds moisture and it just keeps on rusting there, i went to wash my car and I pressure washed around trim and I couldnt believe how much rust just ran out of there and it kept coming and coming.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Telvis

My car didn't look too bad until the back glass was removed. it was baaaaaaaad. :rotz:

ChargerBill

Time and money well spent now will save you more time and money in the future...do it right.
Life is a highway...

mopar_madman

unless your going to remove the trim and the glass and do a proper repair it might be best to leave it alone. If you remove the trim and the metal is rusted through and you try to clean it you might make matters worse. Crawl in the trunk and look up under the area and see if the back side is rusted. If it looks ok it might be only surface rust but if its rusted through you will need new metal welded in. Either way the trim and glass should be removed repaired and the glass resealed.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

andy74

i had to do the same thing on my 72 last winter-it is a pain in the ass,but the results are well worth it.if you catch it now while its not so bad,you will be way better off,Andy

Dans 68

Thank you, Gents, for the comments. I just went out to the Charger and took a few photos (attached) from inside the trunk to see if it has rusted through. I'd have to say no. It is a California car, and thus has not seen the weathering that other parts of the country do. What I found was lots of surface rust. It seems that this area of sheet metal did not have any paint (at least top coat) and has grown a fine misting of rust. Everywhere in the trunk it looks great wherever there is paint or sound deadening material, but very surface rusty where not. It seems that the factory had a hard time getting any kind of protective surface coating on the underside of the trunk/rear window valence. The 3rd photo is of the right side hinge point/upper valence/fender location to illustrate my point better. Just don't tell me that I'd better get it inside ASAP!   :P

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

69hemi

I think your are looking good there.  Just pop the chrome and sand and prime the rust, touch up the paint and you should be good to go.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

MGBRingo

You are in good shape but get it stopped now.  You must take it all apart like everyone has recommended.  Then coat it with POR 15.  Don't just prime and paint it when you go to all of that work taking it apart.