News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Diecast Daytona Chargers..Rare??

Started by THE COLONEL, September 24, 2006, 03:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE COLONEL

I know this should be posted in the ebay section, but I don't think many people go there from what I can see.  I posted it there too, but...this one is 1 of 500 made in that color. I have heard these can go for big bucks. Whatcha all think?   I'm not interested in this one, but I have seen one at a flea market for $45.  Is it worth it to get it?

**Inactive Link Removed**
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

nascarxx29

If the box clearly indicated 1 of 500 collectible..As I collected for many years 69-70 Mopar Aero cars diecast
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Quote from: THE COLONEL on September 24, 2006, 03:40:46 PM
I have heard these can go for big bucks. Whatcha all think?   
**Inactive Link Removed**

My feeling is that if you want to collect any kind of diecast, buy it if you like it, but not as an investment.  I've learned this the hard way several times.   Now 500 cars is not a lot, but what tends to happen, is eventually, a similar car may get reissued with a tweak or two, a different stripe or interior color, etc.   Ertl produces those special runs for different vendors who contract with them to do so.    Chances are, sometime down the road that car will be back. 

The other thing that happens on larger runs of 1000 or more cars, is sometimes the vendor dumps the excess inventory as it gets long in the tooth, and you can buy it at a discount if you're willing to wait.     I cannot tell you how many times I've been stung by buying when the model comes out, only to see it 40% off list six or nine months later.   

hotrod98

I agree. Buying diecast as an investment is probably not advisable. Look at the guys that invested heavily in the Nascar collectibles. They got hung out to dry...big time. I buy a wing car diecast every once in a while because I like them. The only one that I would like to buy now is the Sox and Martin Superbird. I saw one at Monster Mopar a couple of weeks ago for $120. I think thats too high. Anyone know where to find one cheaper?

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Aero426

The regular issue red white and blue Sox Bird should be $55-$60.     There were some black chrome special editions which would cost more. 

THE COLONEL

It sure didn't fetch much money.  I thought it would be higher, but I'm sure you guys are right.  :yesnod:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"