News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 help

Started by Mean 318, September 26, 2006, 11:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mean 318

Hi guys, I am building a 440 for my 70 Dodge Coronet and I was wondering what you thought I should do? I am going to use the 906 heads, and I don't want to bore it out. I also want to be able to run it on pump gas. I have a 727 that is going to be built with a good shift kit. I am still looking for a rear for it. I am looking for a lot of torque, but still a drivable car. I will be hitting up the track for fun, but not too serious. The more power the better!!! I will be running street tires for now and when I get the cash I will get a set of Hoosier street tires. The motor is a 440 out of a 70 New Port. Now comes the hard part, I am working 8 hours a day and going to school another 7 so I don't have the time to do much myself. I will just be putting it in, otherwise most of the other stuff will have to be done at the machine shop. My budget will be between $3500 and $4000 for parts and labor for the motor. I got the transmission and driveshaft covered already. Now that you know that what would you do? I was thinking flat tops, and a hydraulic cam. Could you guys gime a good idea of what I could do with it?  Also if you could list some rough prices I would appreciate it! THANKS!!!!!! P.S. I think I put his in the wrong spot the first time, sorry! ::)

Chryco Psycho

I would do a sound short block with Michigan 77 brgs , new rod bolts , Speed Pro L2355F pistons , balanced , with windage tray & new Melling HP  oil pump 
using a Hyd cam will keep costs down , I would use a mild Engle grind
even if you run short of $$ it is far easier to upgrade cam , intake, carb, head or exhaust later on than to pull the engine again & upgrade the short block   

Rolling_Thunder

I just built a 440 for an LAPD officer...    iron 906 heads, 9:1 compression, duel plane intake, edelbrock carb and a pretty mild cam...     making 458hp...   nothing extraordinary but a very fun street engine.

NOTE: carb was an accidently installed 650...      going to install a 750 and see if we can get a few more ponies...    currently running lean at WOT...         

shoot me a PM if you want every little detail on the engine.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mean 318

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 27, 2006, 07:38:58 PM
I just built a 440 for an LAPD officer...    iron 906 heads, 9:1 compression, duel plane intake, edelbrock carb and a pretty mild cam...     making 458hp...   nothing extraordinary but a very fun street engine.

NOTE: carb was an accidently installed 650...      going to install a 750 and see if we can get a few more ponies...    currently running lean at WOT...         

What did that run him?
Did he run headders?
Pistons?

Rolling_Thunder

Well it was 9:1 compression with forged pistons...    i'll check friday when im in at work to see what brand they were...         

he ran TTI 1 7/8" headers with a full 3" exhaust system...   

not sure what we charged him (not my area...   i just build the thing) - but all the parts are pretty much available cheap...    no expensive aluminum heads or anything like that...      i would say this engine could be built on your $4000 budget.

Mean 318

This is what I am thinking,
Edlebrock AVS
Edlebrock Preformer RPM
Flat tops/med. Cam /rebuild kit
Chrysler Stock Starter
Headmen Headders
High Vol oil pump/ deep pan(Found a junk yard pan for $50.)
New timing chain
New Water pump
gasket kit
Head work
Stock ignition/distrib
I might go bore it out
I am running 2.76 gears and street tires untill I can fing something better. Theat will make top end, so I really want to pull out some torque
Feel free to tear into this or meake sugesstions! Thanks

Rolling_Thunder

i would like to know your plans for a cam...    the cam is probably the most important part of the engine...     heads and airflow in the heads.

Mean 318

all I know now is that it will be a hydraulic cam, nothing too big. I wont know untill I talk to ths machinist this weekend. What do you guys think machine work will cost me? He is a little on the high side, but he is good! Just a rough guess please!

RD

was that engine dyno or chassis dyno?  you got a screenie of the dyno numbers?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

SeattleCharger

:popcrn:

Hey RD, noticed your signiture line.   I saw one said:                No God,  Know Fear

Know God,  No Fear     but I like the version you have better.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

is_it_EVER_done?

Quote from: Mean 318 on September 26, 2006, 11:22:51 PM
The motor is a 440 out of a 70 New Port.

FIRST: make sure if you have a 440 and not a 383. The Newport came with a 383 unless someone changed it out at some time in its life. The New Yorker and 300 came with 440's. Make sure you know how to tell the difference and how to read the pad codes, block casting number and date.

Nothing at all wrong with 383's but you will be far better off torque wise with a 440.

It doesn't sound like you could have time to undertake a rebuild with your schedule so If it were me, I would check around for a shop to build it for you.  Good luck.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: RD on September 27, 2006, 11:06:00 PM

was that engine dyno or chassis dyno?  you got a screenie of the dyno numbers?

this was a chassis dyno - although those numbers are formulated for the flywheel hp rating...           no screen or print out with me - havent gotten the car back as of yet - should have a dyno sheet in the near future.

Mean 318

Maybe it was a New Port... I know that it ia a 440, I just spent all my timeunder the hood, so I forgot.

Ghoste

When you say stock ignition, are you meaning you are going to use the old points distributor?  If so, might be money well spent to get the MP electronic conversion kit.

Mean 318

I am going to bump my budget to  $5000 now.

Mean 318

Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake manifold- $200
Edelbrock AVS- $375
Cam/Lifter Kit- $350
Head gasket Kit- $60
7qt Oil Pan- $50
High Volume oil pump- $80
Headers- $300
Timing Chain- $80
Fuel Pump- $60
Pistons- $350
Starter $70
Spark plug wires- $50
Misc. Shit that I forgot about- $500
Thats about 2500 bucks worth of parts, does that seem reasonable? Are my prices a little off? Did I orget anything big?

Chryco Psycho

you could buy TTi headers & save a bunch of ign wires sets @ $100 each