News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cops don't like my mufflers!

Started by steves66, October 02, 2006, 07:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steves66

Well I knew it was only a matter of time before the cops were going to say something. My engine is a 496 stroker with 2" TTI headers going into 3" exhaust with X pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flow race mufflers. This beast is so loud you can feel the thump of the cam in your chest it almost makes your heart skip. While driving home through a neighborhood this past weekend I got pulled over for having "NO" exhaust. ::) I didn't get a ticket, but was told to quieten it down some. My question is how am I going to "quieten it down some" without hurting performance? Are the Dynomax Super Turbos quieter than these Ultraflos? Any suggestions? :-\

70charginglizard

I don't know but what ever you do just make sure you keep your reciepts for any mods in your car so if that same cop pulls you over again you can just show him the dated reciepts and go "see officer. I'm trying to do something."  :icon_smile_big:
70charginglizard

RT DAVE

Is it louder than a stock Harley at WOT?  I don't understand why HD guys get away with having exhaust loud enough to wake the dead but car guys get hassled.  I understand the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" concept but most of the people who say this don't wear helmets so...    :stirthepot:
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Mefirst

One way, so you don't have to change your exhaust setup, is to keep a couple of these in your glovecompartment

..so the next time a cop pulls you over for noise, just give him a pair of ear plugs and he will be happy again :icon_smile_big:

See how easy it is :slap:

firefighter3931

Steve, which ultraflows did you have installed in your car ? the round or oval Ultraflows ? The oval ultraflows aren't that loud....certainly much quieter than a flowmaster style muffler. Noise is subjective to the officer and often cars that may sound loud are still legal. Around here the noise has to be in excess of 98db to be considered illegal/excessive. Check your local ordinances/bylaws to see what is permitted.

Installing some race bullets or glass packs in the talpipes will reduce noise significantly.....and not hurt performance. That is the most economical option.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

SeattleCharger

The ultimate in muffler modification. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Wakko

lol at Doug.  :)  It's a shame that he harassed you about it, most cops I know give leeway to older hot rods and Harleys provided their flexibility isn't abused.  Make sure you don't keep gettin' on it in the same place and drive it gently around the residential areas.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

steves66

Ron, I have the oval Ultraflo race series. They don't hold anything back, but they are not deafning loud until you drop the hammer and then all hell breaks loose. :devil:

Plumcrazy

Quote from: RT DAVE on October 02, 2006, 09:36:30 AM
Is it louder than a stock Harley at WOT?  I don't understand why HD guys get away with having exhaust loud enough to wake the dead but car guys get hassled.  I understand the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" concept but most of the people who say this don't wear helmets so...    :stirthepot:

:iagree:  I swear some bike exhausts are louder than a car with open headers.  :flame:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

firefighter3931

Quote from: steves66 on October 03, 2006, 04:11:28 AM
they are not deafning loud until you drop the hammer and then all hell breaks loose. :devil:

:icon_smile_big:  :icon_smile_cool: :devil:

Ok Steve, here's your "high performance" resonator. Weld these into the tailpipes and it will mellow out the volume yet still maintain all the performance.  :yesnod:

Ron

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24219&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+4294922710+400358+4294891681+4294906121+4294791977+4294906132+4294791976+115&autoview=sku
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

steves66

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 03, 2006, 08:02:23 AM
Quote from: steves66 on October 03, 2006, 04:11:28 AM
they are not deafning loud until you drop the hammer and then all hell breaks loose. :devil:

:icon_smile_big:  :icon_smile_cool: :devil:

Ok Steve, here's your "high performance" resonator. Weld these into the tailpipes and it will mellow out the volume yet still maintain all the performance.  :yesnod:

Ron

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D24219&N=700+4294923429+4294922711+4294922710+400358+4294891681+4294906121+4294791977+4294906132+4294791976+115&autoview=sku

Thanks Ron!  :2thumbs:

73Charger

I had a problem like this with my "race/summer car" - not my charger. I got a couple dinatech vortex cones that you normally would put in the collector and installed them in the tail pipes behind my muffler, keeping the air in there a bit more.  They apparently cause no loss of performance and definately quieted down my beast. ofcourse, you could also put them in the header collectors - just more work.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DTC%2D72%2D32520&N=700+115&autoview=sku
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

deputycrawford

Those damn cops don't understand anything.  :o I would love to run a 496 with the exact set you have. I would just tell them off. What can they do to ya?  :spank: Just tell them to spank you like a bad puppy and they will let you go. :police: I was in my cruiser once and let a 10 second drag car test his car out on a side street. It was a Chevy but I gotta let the guy find out if his car worked. You did not say wether you had the bullet mufflers or the oval ones. I would hammer down driver and flip off the cops. They couldn't catch you anyway.  :no: I guess I am alittle differente. I just let the car guys have their fun as long it isn't a drunken stupidity thing. I guess I'm weird like that.   :image_294343:
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

deputycrawford

If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Steve P.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And to tell you the truth, I couldn't agree more!!  It pisses me off to no end when some a-hole on a bike pulls up along side me and just as the ass of his bike makes it to my window he NAILS IT!!!!!  This alllllways seems to happen when I have my window open..

What you said about the loud pipes saving lives is a bunch of bullshit. I AIM AT THOSE ASSHOLES!!!!!!  :flame:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: Steve P. on October 04, 2006, 07:30:47 PM

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

And to tell you the truth, I couldn't agree more!!  It pisses me off to no end when some a-hole on a bike pulls up along side me and just as the ass of his bike makes it to my window he NAILS IT!!!!!  This alllllways seems to happen when I have my window open..

What you said about the loud pipes saving lives is a bunch of bullshit. I AIM AT THOSE ASSHOLES!!!!!!  :flame:

Steve, how do you REALLY feel about loud pipes.  :lol:

Ron

Mean 318

Quote from: Steve P. on October 04, 2006, 07:30:47 PM

:iagree:

emanscharger

tell that cop to come to Rhode Island and see my car..I'm going to run tti 2 1/8 headers through a three inch tti exhaust..with electric cut outs for open headers..that way he'll have a reason to give a ticket!

deputycrawford

Send that ticket to me and I'll rip it up. Those damn cops will never understand. I should get sponsered by this site to travel the country and educate the police about Chargers. Damn cops.

Steve P.

I realllly would like to know why so many bikes are straight pipe and getting away with it??

I have thought about putting powered dumps with 2 pipes going out one side of my Coronet. WHY you ask. Because I have one of those bunghole neighbors that thinks he has to rev his piece of HONDA every time he comes in or goes out.   

I just happen to know that he goes to be early every night that he isn't out pissing other people off with his bike!! :devil:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Lightning

try living in the New Smyrna Beach/Daytona area when Bike Week/Biketoberfest happens....oh wait...that's next week!
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

Steve P.

Trust me. There is a 1 - 2 year old Harley store about a mile and a half from me that draws bikers from everywhere. They have poker runs, giveaway's and cruises for every occasion starting and ending at the damn place. It's maybe not as big as BIKE WEEK, but,,, we have it EVERY WEEK, ALL WEEK AND ALL DAY LONG!!!!   :flame:  I think most of the riders use to work at Micky D's as it is right next door to my buddy's shop. Every time those jerks go by at least 20 of them rev those pieces of crap.... :flame:

Guys, don't get me wrong. I use to ride and loved bikes. I just cannot stand to hear all the noise coming from them. Most of them sound like shit..  AND the RICERS are well known for racing off the light at the corner and many of them are on one wheel....   I have another buddy that use to drive a wrecker. He quit do to the many wrecks with blood and death. He tells everyone that the worst cases are the bikers.  The one that made him quit was while unloading a bike in the (DEAD POOL), (that's a secured indoor area where they put vehicles involved in a death), he was hooking a chain to what was left of the bike and found part of a palm and 3 fingers jammed in the neck and handle bars... That was enough for him.. 

At least 1 bike accident per week ends up in a death. I'm not talking about all over the states. I'm talking about right here in my little neck of the woods. Biking in Florida? NO THANKS!!!
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Lightning

Quote from: Steve P. on October 07, 2006, 12:04:33 PM
Trust me. There is a 1 - 2 year old Harley store about a mile and a half from me that draws bikers from everywhere. They have poker runs, giveaway's and cruises for every occasion starting and ending at the damn place. It's maybe not as big as BIKE WEEK, but,,, we have it EVERY WEEK, ALL WEEK AND ALL DAY LONG!!!!   :flame:  I think most of the riders use to work at Micky D's as it is right next door to my buddy's shop. Every time those jerks go by at least 20 of them rev those pieces of crap.... :flame:

...ok, you win.
when racing deals fall apart.....you go home, like me.

deputycrawford

I have my motorcycle endorsement and have ridden many a Harley. i watch them park them on sidewalks. I have listened to them go by WAY TO LOUD. I know loud pipes save lives but damn. I have written a citation or two for the loud thing. they just pay them and keep riding too loud.