News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Horn power wire on a '69 318

Started by JimShine, August 25, 2005, 12:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimShine

Where is the power wire for the horn relay located in a '69 318 Charger? I found the horn button wire bundled in the washer and temp gauge bundle, but can't see to locate the horn power wire.

John_Kunkel

The horn "power" is actually located at the horn relay in the engine compartment, the wire in the steering column is the ground for the horn relay (usually black with a tracer).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JimShine

I understand that, but where does that power wire come from? I have no relay or wires near that area.

Ghoste

The relay is likely up on the rad cradle near the horns.

JimShine

My car came with no relay or horns. I need to know where the power wire for the relay is so I can find what is left of it.

Just so I am clear:

My car had no horns or relay, just the horn button wire was visable. I cannot find the hot wire for the relay. I need to find where it exits so I can reuse that wire rather than run my horns direct off the battery.

Ghoste

It should be under the hood up near the alternator someplace and long enough to make it to the rad cradle or inner fender just ahead of the washer bottle.

JimShine

John_Kunkel

To clarify a bit, there is a wire harness that runs down the passenger side valve cover, it originates at the firewall bulkhead disconnect, runs along the valve cover, down past the alternator and then back up to the horn relay on the back side of the radiator core support. The power wire is violet (purple) in color and is hot whenever the battery is connected.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JimShine

Is this a lone wire or bundled in with the temp gauge wire (also violet), horn button wire, and washer wire?

Ghoste

It starts off with that bundle and splits off behind the alternator.   It's considerably longer so I guess it would be more accurate to say that those other connectors split off before and the harness continues up to that hot wire.   It may be wrapped in tape until the very end and the hot section plugs into one of the horn connectors.
I'll find the bride's digi-cam and shoot you a pic.   That'll be the best way.

Ghoste

Not a good pic and a little cluttered under there but will this help?