News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Belt trim on a '69?

Started by fixinto440, November 06, 2013, 06:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixinto440

I picked up a 69 last Saturday and it has what look to be factory drilled belt trim holes down the sides. I found the broadcast sheet in the back seat springs and it is a White Hat Special and lists that it should have belt trim. I've never seen this on a Charger that I recall. Is this something rare that I should try to replace or is it just so ugly that everyone welds up the holes?

cdr

what is the code,,,belt molding on chargers is on top of the doors & 1/4 panel.they never came with it down the middle of panel.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fixinto440

This is my first Charger resto so bear with me figuring out the sheet. In the "M" molding section box 31 Belt has a 1 in it. The holes really look to perfect to be anything other than factory to me but I can't imagine it would look good at all. In the "A" section I have 01 and 41 which makes it a White Hat Special correct? Is that rare enough to try to put back original? It was a 318 car but has a 440 in it now so I am guessing that's going to be a value killer?

cdr

a01 is a lighting package,a41 is white hat,,car would be worth more with a big block.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104869.msg1252993.html#msg1252993
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

oh by the way welcome to dc.com...need lots of pictures of your car  :yesnod:

fixinto440

You mean if it was originally a big block it would be worth more or that it's worth more with the 440 in it now than it would have been with the original 318? I'll plan on welding up all of the little trim holes down the sides. I appreciate the information.

cdr

its worth more with a big block now than with a 318. :Twocents:

fixinto440

Well that's great news! I have always built early Broncos but I loves Chargers and this one was too good of a deal to pass up. I'm glad to see that Mopar guys are as friendly and helpful as Bronco guys! I managed to get this one fired up and drove it on the trailer. The 440 sounds bad ass, I can't wait to get started on this one.

cdr

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome to the site.....
M31 is a standard option on all '69 Chargers (68 & 70 also)

These are the chrome trim pieces on the top of the door & rear quarter window areas.

Now IF you are referring to moldings that go down the center of the fenders/doors/quarters to protect from door dings....those are dealer installed & not a factory option
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

fixinto440

Ok then, I have the M21 and the M31 trim plus wheel opening trim. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to drill all of these holes to add the door molding from front to back.  Must have been an old ladies car originally! It was B3 blue with a white vinyl top and white interior. Whoever shot it red didn't even bother to cut anything in.

Dino

It was pretty common back then to have dealers add the side molding but it never came that way from the factory.  I have a white hat special as well but it doesn't do anything to the value of the car.  Mine came with a 318 as well but when I acquired it, it had a 440 in it. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

And if it were mine, I wouldn't add the aftermarket moulding back to the middle of the door.

Dino

Quote from: Ghoste on November 07, 2013, 08:10:36 AM
And if it were mine, I wouldn't add the aftermarket moulding back to the middle of the door.

Agreed
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

fixinto440

Nope, I'm with you guys. I just wanted to make sure I didn't weld up all of the holes not knowing and find out it was something really rare. I think it would be ugly as hell. I'm definitely glad to hear that not having the original engine isn't hurting it! I always thought Mopar guys were big into matching numbers. Gotta love the sound of that 440 though!

Patronus

I would strongly recommend changing the oil prior to any further starting. You'll only need to learn that lesson once.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

fixinto440

Yeah I did that and pulled the gas tank. I've done frame off restos, this is just my first Charger. My first hard lesson was with old gas. This one runs good and doesn't smoke at all and was supposedly built by a reputable builder so I am going to do my best to save on a rebuild.