News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to resize your pics to 400kb so you can post them.

Started by nitrometal, April 28, 2011, 10:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

I've noticed a lot of posts from frustrated people that can't post their photos because they're above the 200kb 400kb limit but I haven't seen anyone explain in a step by step process on how to do it.  I recently e-mailed a walk-through process to a friend and I thought that I would copy and post it here for those that need help and maybe I can make you a resizing fool.  :2thumbs:

I use a program to view and organize my pics (it does music & movies but it sucks at doing that).  Download a program called "Irfanview".  It's free and I think very user friendly. I've been using it for 15 years or so now.

You can get it here...

http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3000-2192_4-10021962.html?part=dl-IrfanView&subj=dl&tag=button

Once you install it you will probably have to reboot and then all your photos on your desktop & etc. will have a bright red cat? road kill icon.

1.   The Dodge Charger forum will not let you post any picture larger than 200kb 400kb so your goal is to get it as close to 199kb 399kb as you can so that you don't lose any detail (or mention in your post that this is just a sample and you can provide a higher resolution photo if they PM you).
2.   Open the photo
3.   Click on "Image" at the top menu bar.
4.   Click on "Resize/Resample" and another menu will open up.
5.   There are two easy ways to resize your pic.
6.   On the right side of this menu there are two large boxes named "Half" & "Double". You need to be smaller so select "Half". Now look at the upper left of this menu and you will see "Current size" & "New size" in pixels. You just reduced your old photo by half.
7.   Click on "OK" at the bottom. Your photo might look funny now (blurry etc.) but you will be back at the photo that you are working on.
8.   Click on "File" at the upper menu bar.
9.   Click on "Save as..."  ***(do NOT use "Save (original folder))***
10.   A new menu will pop up entitled "Save Picture as..."  at the top it will say "Save in:" ...that should be in the folder that your photo is now ( I usually move the photo that I'm working on to my desktop so that I can find it quickly).
11.   Down near the bottom of this menu find the box entitled  "File name:" ... Your photo name should already be in the box beside it.
12.   What I do is click just to the right of the photo name and add "-1" to the photo name so that way you keep the original photo and your new resized pic.
13.   Click "Save"  at the lower right.
14.   Now you should have two photos.  The original and a smaller copy called "original name -1".
15.   Right click on the newly resized photo titled "original name -1" and select properties and it will tell you the size of the photo in kilobytes and hopefully you are now below the 200 kb 400kb limit.  If not repeat the process.
16.   There is another way to reduce the size with much more control and it can get you very close to the 200 kb 400kb limit.
17.    Go to the "Resize/Resample" window and on the left side Tick the circle that says  "Set new size as percentage of original".  You start off at 100% and according to how far off you are you need to guesstimate what percentage will bring you down to the 200kb 400kb limit.  You may have to do it several times to tweak it to your goal.  Just make sure that you always rename the resized photo name to "-1,-2.-3 & etc. when you "Save as..."  In fact it would be a good idea to copy and paste the original into another folder so you don't mess up the original forever.

If this sounds like more than you can handle feel free to call me at 979-691-8429 and I can walk you through it on the phone. Once you start playing with this program you'll find it can do all sorts of neat things with your photos.

Hope this helps,
Phil

**edited by hemigeno to update maximum attachment size allowed**
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

Troy

Hey, that sounds familiar (I've been using Irfanview for many, many years and been recommending it on here since I joined).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nitrometal

Hey Troy,

Yeah, when I searched the forum I saw that you mentioned it frequently but I thought that a step-by-step guide would help people out.

Phil

bull

nitrometal

Quote from: bull on May 09, 2011, 12:33:09 AM
Does it work with Windows 7?

Yes I have it installed on all my PC's and they are running XP, Vista & 7 respectively and it works fine on all of them.

My9302002

Tried to re-size using this program. Have my pic down to 197 kb and when I try to post is still says " to large to post"
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Drew
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

My9302002

Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

A383Wing

Aarons68

Life's to short to keep them original