News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Petty 'bird clone before decals

Started by nitrometal, October 11, 2006, 05:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitrometal

I finally have some pic's of my Petty clone after it was painted & before they decaled it.
Take note that it had OEM wheels & tires on it at this time.  The promotion company thought that it didn't look "racey" enough and had the restorer change them out.  The restorer told he had a hard time finding a set of those wheels (are they that rare?)

I think that it looked pretty good in stock trim (I am kinda biased though)  ::)
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

nitrometal

nitrometal

and one more...

I have the full size pics (I had to resize these to fit the post) if you want them.  I can e-mail them to you if you PM me.  They're about 1 meg each.

daytonalo

Nice car , is the nose -cone homemade ?

THE CHARGER PUNK

how bout some pics of the roll bar?-MATT looks wicked w/o decals but better with em, all u need now isa HEMI :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

I like it...very much. Makes me realize that my car will look just fine with the stock back glass.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

that car if u added a vinyl top and stock bird decals would look dead stock cept 4 the rear window-MATT

nitrometal

Quote from: daytonalo on October 11, 2006, 06:26:34 PM
Nice car , is the nose -cone homemade ?

I dunno  :shruggy:

I've never seen another clone so I'm not sure what to look for.  The way it's mounted it doesn't seem to be a kit. It's looks like it's kinda rigged with whatever they found at the hardware store.  Actually, I haven't checked a real bird to see how it's mounted and compare it to mine. 

I can tell you that it is fiberglass and it came out of a mold for sure.

nitrometal

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 11, 2006, 07:34:31 PM
I like it...very much. Makes me realize that my car will look just fine with the stock back glass.

I actually get a LOT of comments about the back glass.  Like, "That wavy glass is so unique, you just don't see that anymore" and "I'd hate to try to find a replacement for that!" are some I hear all the time.

hotrod98

Phil,
That stock back glass is not rare, in fact it's quite common since they were used in almost all 2 door b-bodies both dodge and plymouth from 68 to 70 except the charger of course. It's the same glass that's in my 69 runner and my 69 superbee. I personally prefer the stock back glass over the bird glass.
hotrod

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

those rims u have on ur car aint that rare, they are common aftermarket 4x4 truck wheels that you can get from LMC truck catalogue or whereverthat give it a very nascar look and feel-MATT

nakita7

In my opinion, the stock rear glass looks way better than Superbird glass/roof.

Howie

Phil, That looks great. Now you need to get a set of A pillar stainless covers.

hotrod98

I agree with Howie. It's the one thing that will wake that car up. A nice set of correct reproductions will run about $500. I plan to make my own for my bird clone. We'll see how they turn out and I might make an extra set for your car if they look nice enough. Mine won't be as nice as the $500 versions, but they should be close.

Charles Addams

Howie

I ordered a set of chrome D spoke wheels like the black one there from summit with a different backspacing and they really change the look. They are 15x8 with 4.5 bs and have the 27x12x15 nascar tires mounted.

LilRedDave

Guess you won't be doing much night driving? Does it not have any headlights? Great looking car by the way!

Howie

They are U.S.Wheel steel truck wheels series 87 chrome daytona. They are 15x8 and $57.88 each. You will need to tell them the b.s. I ordered 5 of them and they had them built and shipped to me from cal. Shipping was $8. My total was a little over 300. I believe hotrod has a picture with a wingcar wearing these style of wheels. I ordered them frome summit.

nitrometal

Quote from: Howie on October 12, 2006, 07:10:02 AM
Phil, That looks great. Now you need to get a set of A pillar stainless covers.

QuotePosted by: hotrod98
I agree with Howie. It's the one thing that will wake that car up. A nice set of correct reproductions will run about $500. I plan to make my own for my bird clone. We'll see how they turn out and I might make an extra set for your car if they look nice enough. Mine won't be as nice as the $500 versions, but they should be close.

$500.00?!   :eek:
Wow! I'll wait for Larry's repro's.  Even at half that price they'll be a bargain!  Either that or I'll tape some tin foil up there!!!  :image_294343:

Howie

Did they decal the nose. I keep looking at that nose without the headlight doors and it looks  :yesnod:

nitrometal

Quote from: LilRedDave on October 12, 2006, 11:27:15 AM
Guess you won't be doing much night driving? Does it not have any headlights? Great looking car by the way!

It actually has headlights tucked into the turn signal bays.  You can't see them in those pics.  It's a bit dim at night because they're mounted so low but you can drive after dark and it passes Texas inspection (after I installed turn signal lamps in the grill).  I'll see if I can find some pics and post them later.

Howie

Hotrod has a picture of a bird with the headlights mounted that way and it does look sharp.

THE CHARGER PUNK

how come no one makes a nascar 68-69 charger and not a daytona justa plain 68-69 charger??? id liek 2 make a clone of the #71 1969 charger nascar-MATT

Brock Samson

Your gonna make a clone but you can't spell like.. 

hemigeno

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on October 12, 2006, 02:13:54 PM
how come no one makes a nascar 68-69 charger and not a daytona justa plain 68-69 charger??? id liek 2 make a clone of the #71 1969 charger nascar-MATT

To my knowledge, Bobby didn't race a "regular" 1969 Charger.  In NASCAR the #71's racecar progression went: 

1968 Charger --> start-to-finish through the 1968 racing season
1969 Charger 500 -->  from the start of the 1969 racing season full-time, and on all short tracks (<1mi.) until  5/15/1970
1969 Daytona --> from the 9/69 Talladega race through the end of the 1970 racing season only on tracks 1 mile or longer
1970 Charger -->  on short tracks (<1mi.) from 5/15/1970 through the end of the 1970 season

The 1969 model year cars were not eligible to race in NASCAR until after 1/1/69, so the first race they could run was at Riverside in February of '69.  I have seen pictures from that Riverside race, and they did run Charger 500's then.  To my knowledge, in every race after Riverside, the drivers running Dodges (in NASCAR) ran the Charger 500 until the Daytona came out in September at Talladega. 

That doesn't mean other people in different racing series didn't race with the '69 grille configuration (since that's about the only difference in a racing version between a '68 and a '69).  However... If you're just talking about the #71, I don't think a "regular" '69 Charger was raced by Bobby.

Geno

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on October 12, 2006, 02:31:34 PM
Your gonna make a clone but you can't spell like.. 
He can't help it, he's stuck with the keyboard he uses on teeny-bopper chat rooms...

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)