News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is this a real 1969 charger 500

Started by BigBlockSam, October 12, 2006, 11:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Guess I shouldn't say 99% but thats how I feel. I'm close to adding the .99% to make it almost a definate.

Ghoste

69_500

I've stared at that photo for hours now. Many of those things just don't add up to me. It just doesn't make any sense unless its a fake tag.

Ghoste

Well, let's put it up here for everyone else to judge.  It isn't like the tag was being hidden from private eyes so there are probably a few pics of it floating around out there now.

nascarxx29

Like I said all along its a Y4 gold car as indicated by the Y4 seen on the fender tag.Not white or silver.And the H51 code for Air conditioning is there.But if I recall correctly the story in mopar muscle .When this car was on the cover.Said they took 2 69 500s to make this one.You would have to check trunk rail and etc .To see if the actual 157499 numbers are there
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

How come there's no A11?.....  There should be........ If it's an early production C500, then it should probably have XS as well instead of XX...

Naaaaaaaaa, something gives........ Or, I've missed something..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 31, 2006, 09:48:33 AM
How come there's no A11?..... 

:iagree:  I thought the same thing.

It's a repro tag, for certain.  Original tags would have a crease by the left side screw.  As the cars were going down the assembly line, the tag was affixed to the inner fender by the left screw only, and bent upwards so that paint got underneath the tag (to prevent rust).  They later pushed the tag down and installed the second screw, which didn't have any body-color paint on it.  There's always a tell-tale crease from the bending process.

V1X????  Vinyl Top??  Ummmm, I don't think so...

There's also no pitting on that tag.  Look at the inner fender right around there, and you can see pitting everywhere else, so how did the tag remain pristine? 

The Body color (Y4) should also be listed twice, once for body color, and the other for the roof color.

I also don't think R35 was available in B-Body cars - that was a C-body radio IIRC.

It all adds up to a Repro tag...  You guys were right-on in questioning the tag.  That doesn't mean the car isn't a legit 500, but the tag isn't factory original.

:Twocents:

69_500

Ah come on Gene how did you miss the VON?  ::) Where is the 925.
On the bright side though you guys all said the same things that I had said when Ghoste first emailed me a photo of the tag. The V1X was a total give away, as well as the R35 Radio. The missing A11 i have seen on 1 tag so far. So that I don't guess would be a total give away, however I haven't seen any without the 925xxx for the VON. The other give away to me was the missing XS on the fender tag. Production date is way too early to have XX.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on October 31, 2006, 04:52:04 PM
Ah come on Gene how did you miss the VON?  ::) Where is the 925.
On the bright side though you guys all said the same things that I had said when Ghoste first emailed me a photo of the tag. The V1X was a total give away, as well as the R35 Radio. The missing A11 i have seen on 1 tag so far. So that I don't guess would be a total give away, however I haven't seen any without the 925xxx for the VON. The other give away to me was the missing XS on the fender tag. Production date is way too early to have XX.

Ahhh, thanks Danny......  More info..........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger_Fan

I was also thinking that there should be a punch thru or two, like '70 tags have...

...or am I mistaken?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemigeno

Grant,

The St. Louis plant did the punch-throughs.  Hamtramck often had a small separate tag that had an imprint of the inspector's mark.  They were supposed to sign off on each car before it left the plant, but I've only seen the punch-throughs on St. Louis fender tags.

I'm sure I've got a picture (or maybe someone else has one handy) of that small tag with the inspector's mark somehwere.

Geno

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemigeno on October 31, 2006, 05:50:12 PM
Grant,

The St. Louis plant did the punch-throughs.  Hamtramck often had a small separate tag that had an imprint of the inspector's mark.  They were supposed to sign off on each car before it left the plant, but I've only seen the punch-throughs on St. Louis fender tags.

I'm sure I've got a picture (or maybe someone else has one handy) of that small tag with the inspector's mark somehwere.

Geno
Ah, that makes sense. I wasn't too certain how they did the '69 tags, thanks. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nascarxx29

On my 440 daytona under the left fender tag screw.There is the thin metal strip that says 1G.Ive heard that the strip of metal was longer.And got shorter as the car got random inspected.Leaving this remaining short piece with the inspectors ID remaining
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Jerry Nerramore's 500 still has a huge portion of the metal tag under the fender tag. His car is the only one that comes to mind for me as having a big piece of that inspection tag left. My sunroof car had about half of the tag remaining.