News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal Daytona window plug

Started by Mark H, March 23, 2018, 10:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark H

Hey guys, I plan on building a Daytona clone and I was wondering if anyone makes a metal rear window plug?

70 sublime

Most of us are using a Vega rear hatch as they are very close to the original shape and fit of a Daytona
Not very easy to find but easier than finding a real one
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

wingman(22)

I know someone that can do metal one. He has a real one for template. He does noses for birds and Daytonas.

held1823

Quote from: wingman(22) on April 17, 2018, 10:10:54 PM
I know someone that can do metal one. He has a real one for template. He does noses for birds and Daytonas.

did he ever set a price on a daytona nose?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70 sublime

If a person gets a metal back window hole that is the same as a Daytona where does one get the glass to fill the hole ??

panhead

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 18, 2018, 05:17:44 AM
If a person gets a metal back window hole that is the same as a Daytona where does one get the glass to fill the hole ??

It's been a flew years now but I called AMD about there rear window trim set and asked about a rear window. The gentlemen said that yes we have some so I ordered one. The glass I got from them was the same size and shape as the original. I don't know if I got lucky or not. Oh' I was also offered a choice of three date codes.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

david hunt

Vega rear window and stainless
600.00. Pm. Me

chargervert

I also got a date coded correct Daytona rear window from AMD.  It was $995.00 plus shipping. Very nice piece!  I was told that if I wanted one that I had better get one now, because once they were sold out, there may not be another run made.

wingcar

FYI to Interested parties:

I just got off the phone with AMD and they have one (1) Daytona Rear Window in their warehouse that IF they can find it has already been spoken for. 

HOWEVER:  The owner is thinking about making another run IF there is any demand.  SO all Daytona owners both real and clones, should call in and let him know that you are interested in buying a rear window.  If he gets enough calls he may well be motivated into making another run.  This may well be the very last chance to pickup a rear window, so call.  I actually have an NOS window, but plan on ordering one...just in case......
Don't miss out.................
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Stevetona

For a thousand bucks on a car worth 6 figures I would. Not like you can go to Speedy Auto Glass if you need a replacement.  :Twocents:

70 sublime

But how much difference is a clone car worth with a $600 Vega hatch welded in or the same car with $2000 worth of after market Daytona shaped parts welded in ?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on April 18, 2018, 09:17:17 PM
But how much difference is a clone car worth with a $600 Vega hatch welded in or the same car with $2000 worth of after market Daytona shaped parts welded in ?

All depends on the level of "correctness" you desire, or incorrectness you are willing to tolerate,  ...It's the same when you look at a vehicle that has been detailed incorrectly, or is wearing the wrong make or year parts, you deduct value accordingly, same as a vehicle detailed correctly and wearing the correct year specific parts, you pay more....

chargervert

Quote from: wingcar on April 18, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
FYI to Interested parties:

I just got off the phone with AMD and they have one (1) Daytona Rear Window in their warehouse that IF they can find it has already been spoken for. 

HOWEVER:  The owner is thinking about making another run IF there is any demand.  SO all Daytona owners both real and clones, should call in and let him know that you are interested in buying a rear window.  If he gets enough calls he may well be motivated into making another run.  This may well be the very last chance to pickup a rear window, so call.  I actually have an NOS window, but plan on ordering one...just in case......
Don't miss out.................

It is good to hear that Mark is considering another run of Daytona rear window glass. I bought the one I have because I was planning to do a 69 Daytona clone, but since I bought the stock car, and the 70 purple Charger R /T, I might not be using the window.  The purple car is going to be a 70 Daytona clone without the rear window plug, and I will be using a lexan window in the stock car so I can drill holes with plugs so I can put the speed wrench through the window to adjust the rear suspension.

white

I just called yesterday about a rear window to and he said they did not have anymore left.

kevs1969daytona

Took me about 5 months to find a vega plug.  Looked everywhere, finally got one about 500 miles away at a wreckers, was $300 cdn give or take.  Think theres not many left.  Also make sure you get the right year think (and don't quote me) they are 73 to 77 vegas, newer ones have different glass.  Also the Monza, Astra all have the same back window think they call them H body chevys.  Good luck with the project.  Just the window trim from classic industries for a real daytona plug is just short of $1000.  I am very happy with mine.  I have lots of pics of the project right now on this site if you want to have a look.

billssuperbird

I have a Vega rear hatch no glass if any one is interested. Cheap I just wanted gone. Has the chrome molding on it

Nwcharger

I have a reproduction Daytona back window for sale that was  made in the 90's that I have no use for.
1969 coronet wagon

charger chris

Quote from: Nwcharger on April 20, 2018, 09:13:00 AM
I have a reproduction Daytona back window for sale that was  made in the 90's that I have no use for.
Email sent to you
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

billssuperbird

Aero426

Quote from: Stevetona on April 18, 2018, 06:38:32 PM
For a thousand bucks on a car worth 6 figures I would. Not like you can go to Speedy Auto Glass if you need a replacement.  :Twocents:

This is true.     It should be mentioned that the reproduction glass will fill the hole, but won't be correct in shape versus the factory produced glass.      The factory glass has a slight bubble to it.   Visible when viewed side by side. 

A383Wing

And I have read from many members that the reproduction C500/Daytona rear window chrome trim is junk

chargervert

The AMD Daytona/500 moldings were templated from the original 69 Charger 500 I used to own.

chargervert

Quote from: Aero426 on May 18, 2018, 11:43:50 AM
Quote from: Stevetona on April 18, 2018, 06:38:32 PM

This is true.     It should be mentioned that the reproduction glass will fill the hole, but won't be correct in shape versus the factory produced glass.      The factory glass has a slight bubble to it.   Visible when viewed side by side. 

The current AMD Daytona glass,has the correct curvature of the window that the originals do.

A383Wing

Quote from: chargervert on May 19, 2018, 03:13:51 PM
The AMD Daytona/500 moldings were templated from the original 69 Charger 500 I used to own.

well, there are a number of people here that have bought the repro pieces and wish they hadn't

chargervert

I have yet to see anyone post any threads on here or any of the other aero sites showing any fitment issues with the AMD window trim. As with any Daytona,and 500,the original plugs from creative,may vary,and the installation,was marginal at best. If the window plugs are fiberglass,or steel reproduction,those may vary as well. It is a tough product to offer because of what I stated. I saw them in person on Ted Stevens Daytona,and I thought they fit pretty well.