News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NOS?

Started by volk68, August 26, 2005, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

volk68

Most of you know that I live up in the mountains of Colorado at about 8,000', and as you can imagine, hp and torque takes a major hit up here.  Even with a 440, it is difficult to make "muscle" power.  I have been kicking around various types of rebuilds and turbo/superchargers, but they are all rather costly, and I just don't know what kind of dividends it will pay per dollar.  The more money it requires, the farther out the project will be  :-\

Given that NOS actually increases compression on the fly by adding oxygen to the mix, it seems like it would be the cheapest and yet very effective way to add power.  I understand that engine longevity doesn't suffer if the NOS is used properly.  I would love to have plenty of horses on tap at all times, but I don't have the cash for that at the moment.

Anyone using NOS? Advice?

bull

Ghoste

A trivial technicality but NO2 doesn't really increase compression but rather it raises cylinder pressure.  Either way, the end results become the same in the manner of what you are seeking.
Anyway, sorry for being anal, have you tried Bull's suggestion as far as tuning the car for the higher altitude?

694spdRT

We don't have a lot of experience but, my dad just started running a ZEX 175horse shot on his '02 Mustang GT. It made a huge difference on that car.

His system is designed to work only under wide open throttle blasts and NOS might not work the same on an older non computer or fuel injected car.  ???
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

I think it works equally well, it just has to be properly set up like any other performance part.  You would certainly bring more oxygen to the party.  How far are you from Bandimere?  There must be some stock eliminator guys there who can help.  Some of them run impressive numbers even without altitude correction.

Chryco Psycho

I`m no fan of nitrous , over time a blower will be cheaper for sure & easier on the engine

SpudRacer

He seems pretty  dead set on NOS, I hope his engine doesn't become dead-set.

Tom
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise