News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wrinkle finish paint question

Started by Goldfinger71, August 26, 2005, 02:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldfinger71

Hey all,
I just had my air cleaner sandblasted and I wanted to know of a GOOD wrinkle finish paint to use.Any suggestions would be appreciated.......I have heard of the Totally Auto stuff but I have not heard  feedback on it.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

mopar_madman

I used the krylon before and it came out nice. heat is supposed to make the wrinkle finish come out better.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Drop Top

Just read and fallow the directions exactlly and you'll be fine.

Spartan

I put the 3 coats on pretty thick and nailed it with my wife's hair dryer in the paint booth (I did it at work) and it came out like it was from the factory.   I redid mine 3 times before I got it right, trial and error.  If you go too thin the results are sparatic.  I used a rust inhibitive coating, then primed it and sanded it smooth.  Then you do 3 coats a couple minutes apart. Once that is done use a hair dryer or heat gun (on low) and keep spreading the heat around evenly.  It will wrinkle up pretty fast using some heat.  Wish I had a few after pics to post to show you the results (I lost them w/ an o/s crash) but it looks really nice.  Bought a pie pan for the top and it looked sweet :).  The biggest areas I had problems with are any 90 degree angles in the sheet metal and trying to keep it even.  It will run if its too thick but the biggest thing I had to learn was not to go thin with it.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Goldfinger71

1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Spartan

I sandblast mine as well.  I think I did paint the inside of mine so there wasn't any exposed metal.  I can't remember if it was wrinkle paint or the hi temp black I was using on the oil breather cap.  If I had to guess it was probably wrinkle paint. I painted the lower pan of the air cleaner with the same paint I used on the breather cap.  I don't have the car at my house right now otherwise I would go look.  When I was finished I bought some air cleaner decals from Y1 that were correct for 69 for the finishing touch.
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Spartan

They only one I could find was when I put it on the engine after the rebuild.  I'll see if I can post it

Goldfinger71

I just painted it!
It came out great!I used the hairdryer trick and it worked wonders!It took a while for the metal to heat up but before long,I could see the wrinkle finish as I moved the dryer around different areas! :)I have to do a few touch up areas but other than that im happy with the results!
I did not however use any primer,I just cleaned it with mineral sprits so I hope the finish will last.
                                                                                           Thanks Guys!