News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How To Remove Chrome Trim

Started by bordin34, October 17, 2006, 08:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I have a 74 Charger SE and would like to know how to remove the chrome trim around my windshield and back window. It looks like its held on differently than the vinyl roof trim. Is there a special tool for this. I am more concerned about the windshild trim because the is wide.
Thanks
Dan

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

daytonalo

There is a tool designed for this , any auto glass shop should be able to sell you one .

Judhudson

Yeah, you are looking for a Windshield Trim Removal tool.  You can find these in the tool section of your local Auto Store.  They should look like this:

You just slide it under the trim until you catch the clip and gently pry it off.

NHCharger

Yes, that's the tool I use. It's kinda tricky if your a first timer. I found that once you hook the clip, pull in towards to center of the window and use your free hand to pry up the trim.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

41husk

Can you still damage the trim using this tool?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NHCharger

I suppose if you twist the tool while it's under the trim it's possible. The tool is designed to grab the back lip of the clip and pull it out of the groove on the trim so you can pull the trim up. I'm always more concerned about scratching the glass when I'm doing this.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bordin34

Thanks for the help. I'll get one of those soon.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

58pwrwgn

Becareful prying the clip back. if you force the clip or tool agaist the glass it may break

rusty lee

Not trying to hijack but.. will that tool also take off the trim on the doors and around the side windows?

Judhudson

Do you mean the drip rail mouldings?  If so, you just use a flat tip screwdriver and a rubber hammer and very gently squeeze the tip under the lip part and lightly tap the moulding off.

rusty lee

here is a pic.

rusty lee

see the rivet head in the bend. does this need drilled out?

Judhudson

Oh, you mean for a second gen charger.  My bad, my mind was on the 3rd gen.  I cannot help you on that yet since when I bought my 68, they were already off... sorry bout that

Winged 1

;D
Do not drill out the rivet. No need to. Never have been able to figure out the purpose of it.
That piece has screws on the inside of the window that allows you to remove it..

daytonalo

I ONLY USE A 1 INCH PUTTY KNIFE TO PUSH OFF DRIP MOULDINGS ,MUCH LESS CHANCE OF DAMAGE , COMPARED TO SCREW DRIVER