News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Grille Assembly

Started by bksfld68, October 21, 2006, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bksfld68

Hi all -

I have my grille for my 68 ready to be assembled and put in.  It was disassembled when I bought the car.  So, basically I have all the plastic pieces, a bolt and spacer package, vacuum pods and my grill support frame.  I am wondering if anyone has a guide on how the assembly is best done.

Thanks,

Ryan

Finn

aha oh...I was putting my 68 grill back together tonight and I saw this post right before I started (because I had taken it apart a couple weeks ago and of course forgot a couple thing so I was searching on here). It dawned on me to make a quick and rough video to give you a general idea of how it goes back together but I didnt notice this was from back in 2006. haha oh well, if by some chance you still haven't put it together, let me know and Ill upload it.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

70daytonaclone

HI I just got a 68 this past week and it needs a grill up grade. video please.

Finn

k will do, youtube is taking for ever to upload at the moment. Course my web connection isnt a hemi but Ill let it sit and check back in a bit.
Ill forewarn you now though its just to give you a general idea of what goes where, my grill is far from a showpiece lol.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Finn

damn it timed out. Ill try it again tonight.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Finn

weird, it just showed up this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/v/xHr1X2blmFY&hl=en

Notes: I mix up nut/bolt and the names of some things. And my nose was stuffed up from fumes of cleaners and paint so if you cant understand something I said let me know haha
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

bull

I'd like to download that video. Does youtube let you do that?

runningman

Link doesn't seem to want to work for me..........anyone else having problems??

Finn

I don't think it lets you download it but I can try to email it to you if you want.
Try this link:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xHr1X2blmFY
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

runningman

Cool, that worked.  Thanks!

Matt

Tilar

There is a program named Video Piggy that will download from You Tube.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69*F5*SE

Finn

Sorry for bringing back an old topic guys but Ive been getting a couple emails/messages about the video I did a couple years ago. That video was accidentally deleted from youtube and my computer a while ago. Ive just re-made it tonight since I had to put a new corner trim part on the grille.
Ill be re-uploading tomorrow.
Hope it'll be useful to someone.
:cheers:
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

charger2fast4u

good to see this thread back to life i'm going to have to redo my grille on my 68 in a few weeks when it's at the body shop i'm going to have to work on restoring mine.  the one side corner is missing so i might have to try and use fiberglass to fix it this oughta be fun... hey Finn how did the air suspension ever turn out on your charger i'm still waiting for some money to buy the kit myself are you driving the car now?

Finn

I haven't done any real street or track driving yet as I am having issues with the EFI but I have taken it around the neighborhood and let me tell you, that sucker is stiff.
Not harsh, just very stiff. I took a 90 degree corner at a guesstimated (my speedo isn't hooked up yet) 30 mph and it didn't roll at all. Any movement you feel is 98% likely to be you sliding in your seat.
Is it worth the install process? Well, I can say I like the setup and have no regrets for putting it in, but I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone that isn't doing a lot of customization to begin with.

The two issues that stand out the most when using this system are wheel clearance and exhaust routing.
I bought a 3" TTI exhaust only to find that it wont clear the 4-link setup in the rear. So for now I'm running turn-downs until I can fabricate something that will work.
My problem with the wheels is that Id like to tuck them closer to the quarter panel, but in doing so with stock wheel-wells, the body will sit on the tires long before full drop is reached.
The piece on the inside of the well that it hits has structural bends in it so you'd have to account for that while tubing the wheel-wells to fix this problem. It can be done easily enough if your quarters aren't already on and painted, like mine.  

As far as the kit goes, its very nice with good quality parts. I did have a length issue with the lower bars on the 4 link but the customer service was great and they made me new ones free of charge. They also have a good forum/following plus a number of videos online.

Another thing to keep in mind is the room that this will take up. If you plan on putting speakers/subwoofers/nos-bottles/fuel-cells/whatever, you better look into that now because if you get the bigger tank with dual compressors, it eats up a lot of room in the trunk. I managed to tuck mine directly under the rear shelf but its been a pain trying to fab a custom sub box that will hold just a single 10" sub. Clearances are TIGHT. Its a trick setup though for sure and from the videos Ive seen online and the short amount of time Ive tested it it, it lives up to the performance it promises.

I'm converting the video right now so it should be up in a bit. ;D

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

charger2fast4u

thanks Finn i'll be looking forward to the video. you have a PM

Finn

Just replied.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7wFssRD7Yo

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUGeRRODao

It says the quality will improve once its done processing.

Hope they help.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

69*F5*SE

Great video and explanation Finn.  Really helpful.  :2thumbs:  Ted

grdprx

Awesome video Finn!  Thanks again.

My grille was just resting in it's place when I got my car, so i really had no idea where to begin.  I'll be starting work soon now though!   :2thumbs:

MRCHARGER

Those videos are very helpful thanks for taking the time to do them and post them!

Some of the fasteners used on that grill were not correct factory pieces. The plastic grill spacers were the re-pops, originals were flat and very different. The bolts they used to attach the grill washers (stock) were also very different. The 8 bolts that hold the head light doors to the actuator bar (which I'll bet yours are correct) are 68 and 69 charger specific they are a unique fastener only to the charger. They have distinctive markings in the heads and are  practically impossible to find (despite the fact that they had to use at least 1,480,000 bolts to build all the 68 and 69 chargers). They are usually rusted and break when disassembling. I took great care in finding the correct fasteners to use for my restoration. Not everyone is into that but it's something I have enjoyed. My buddies laugh because most people wouldn't know the difference but I do and I know there are others out there like me. When I look at a really nice charger resto I check those details. I love spotting wrong fasteners. Anyone can buy fasteners at Lowe's and put a car together, try restoring the whole car; nuts, bolts, washers, and ever other obscure part. 

runningman

Quote from: MRCHARGER on July 05, 2010, 01:09:48 AM
Those videos are very helpful thanks for taking the time to do them and post them!

Some of the fasteners used on that grill were not correct factory pieces. The plastic grill spacers were the re-pops, originals were flat and very different. The bolts they used to attach the grill washers (stock) were also very different. The 8 bolts that hold the head light doors to the actuator bar (which I'll bet yours are correct) are 68 and 69 charger specific they are a unique fastener only to the charger. They have distinctive markings in the heads and are  practically impossible to find (despite the fact that they had to use at least 1,480,000 bolts to build all the 68 and 69 chargers). They are usually rusted and break when disassembling. I took great care in finding the correct fasteners to use for my restoration. Not everyone is into that but it's something I have enjoyed. My buddies laugh because most people wouldn't know the difference but I do and I know there are others out there like me. When I look at a really nice charger resto I check those details. I love spotting wrong fasteners. Anyone can buy fasteners at Lowe's and put a car together, try restoring the whole car; nuts, bolts, washers, and ever other obscure part. 

Do you have pics of the "correct" finishes on the grille attachment hardware??  Mine were rusted up and trying to find out the correct way to refinish.   Thanks 

Matt

suburbanfireman

Man am I glad I checked this thread today - you saved me A TON of grief (Daddy already taught the kids enough bad words while he works in the garage!)  Thank you for taking the time to repost the video  :cheers: - I owe you one.
Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I think I might be addicted to cars."

Jill Taylor: "Well, DUH!"

Tim "The Toolman" Taylor: "I'm thinking about checking myself into the Henry Ford Clinic!"

Evilcito

Hi Guy,

From Chile, I just bought a headlights cover because one were broke, so I start to disassemble the grill, but I have no Idea, reading learn that I have to take off all the front. But is classic that the bolts and other part have modifications... So, Will be very helpfull that some one tell me if theres a detailed scheme of the front grill mounting.

Best regards.