News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger 4 speed console finished

Started by charge-it, October 24, 2006, 01:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge-it

Here are a few pics of my newly rebuilt 4 speed console for my 68 Charger project. I used a L&P 4 speed console body, PGclassics 4 speed console plate, R.E.M. side hump, and a new carpet kit. I re-used my console door and all the other hardware and trim from a few parts consoles I had here. I have test fit the side hump and taken it back off because this is all going into storage until the car is painted (triple black) and didn`t want it to get broken. Next on the list is to start on my seats. I have all new foam and lengendary upholstery, black with black pleats. Enjoy!

Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

bull

That looks really nice. What do you think of that 4spd top plate? Does it look and feel like an original?

charge-it

The plate fit the console perfectly. I measured it and compared it to an old one I had here and all the measurements matched. The original part number was even on the repop part. The only difference I could find was the pentastar was ground off the repop part. In my opinion the fit and finish were perfect.
Visit our new website:

Magnumcharger

Your console looks great!
I have to do exactly the same thing.
All of my plastic has crumbled to nothingness, the carpet has faded and fallen apart, and I'm changing from an automatic to a manual transmission.

Would you be so kind as to list: the components used, the manufacturer of the components, and the price of each?
I'm thinking this console might end up costing thousands of dollars.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

BigBlockSam

looks real good . your giving me some idea's
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

charge-it

Quote from: Magnumcharger on October 25, 2006, 10:18:48 AM
Your console looks great!
I have to do exactly the same thing.
All of my plastic has crumbled to nothingness, the carpet has faded and fallen apart, and I'm changing from an automatic to a manual transmission.

Would you be so kind as to list: the components used, the manufacturer of the components, and the price of each?
I'm thinking this console might end up costing thousands of dollars.
Here`s a list of suppliers and prices but I`m going on memory. My car was originally a console auto and it was changed to a non console 4 speed before I bought it. I had to find every single piece to make this happen.
Junk 4 speed console complete $210.00 complete, ebay
new repro L&P 4 speed console body $145.00, ebay
new repro 4 speed top plate $400.00 PG classics direct
new repro side hump $45.00, Dante direct
new carpeting $40.00, ebay
one can of black spray paint, $3.00
one can of silver spray paint, $3.00 walmart
one package of sheetmetal screws .45 home depot
one can of spray adhesive, $6.00 home depot
Total investment $852.45
Sold off all the parts from the parts console I didn`t use on ebay for $537.10
Total actual investment $315.35
My actual investment will drop a little more because I still have 4 or 5 more extra parts I will be selling off at some point. I suspect I may be able to knock off another $100.00 of my final investment. It`s taken me a year to gather up all the parts I needed because most of the time I`m a frugal shopper (cheap!). If your in a rush to build one it could easily cost you over a thousand bucks. If you take your time and shop around it can actually end up not costing so much. None of the above prices reflect my time to do all of this. I don`t dare guess how many hours I have invested into it. I really enjoy doing this type of stuff so I look a it as fun way to relieve stress.
Visit our new website:

BigBlockSam

QuoteIt`s taken me a year to gather up all the parts I needed because most of the time I`m a frugal shopper (cheap!). If your in a rush to build one it could easily cost you over a thousand bucks. If you take your time and shop around it can actually end up not costing so much. 

:yesnod:  so true . thats the way i do it . i little at a time , with some big bursts   :thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

charge-it

Correction, add 69.00 to the final cost. I forgot to add in the shifter boot for the console top plate. That part also came from PG Classics. Please note that that final total doesn`t include the correct console shifter handle, and the metal 4 speed hump that I also needed to buy.
Visit our new website:

squeakfinder

It looks like a $1000.00 console. You did it wright.  :2thumbs:  It took me at least a year to put mine together (automatic).
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Magnumcharger

Thanks for the info and tally.
Mine will likely cost a grand because all that's left of mine is the console lid, lights and side trim.
Oh well, you get what you pay for!
And least I don't have to try and glue together what's left of my old one.

deputycrawford

Charge-it, and here I thought you were just like the rest of us. You showed your console in what looks to be your living room. Then you went and disappointed all of us and said you were putting it in storage. You must take back that last remark and build a shelf on your living room wall. Then place said console on shelf for all to see. Come on man, wheres your mind?  :rant:

You must have neighbors over for  :cheers: and have VERY long conversation about Chargers. It makes for a perfect evening.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

charge-it

My storage area is about 4 feet from where the pics were taken, my closet! Oh, and there`s always plenty to talk about here. I have Mopar stuff in the basement, attic, under the bed, garage, bookcase, backyard, etc., it`s everywhere. Yep, I`m addicted...LOL! :P
Visit our new website:

BigBlockSam

QuoteI have Mopar stuff in the basement, attic, under the bed, garage, bookcase, backyard, etc., it`s everywhere. Yep, I`m addicted...LOL!   

me too

Magnumcharger

I've been looking for a source for the four-speed console side hump.
According to this thread, Dante direct is the place to find them.

http://www.dantesparts.com/partsforsale.html

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I still can't see them anywhere.....
Anybody else have any ideas?

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Anders

I'm planning on converting my 727 to manual trans sometime in the future. I would like to use my old automatic trans console, can anyone tell me how does the manual console differ and can I convert my auto console to manual? Which parts if any can I use from my automatic console?
68 Charger

Troy

Quote from: Anders on June 28, 2007, 06:34:12 AM
I'm planning on converting my 727 to manual trans sometime in the future. I would like to use my old automatic trans console, can anyone tell me how does the manual console differ and can I convert my auto console to manual? Which parts if any can I use from my automatic console?
That would be quite a hijack. In my opinion, it's easier to buy the repro console body for $150 than it is to convert one. Brian Shaughnessy (I believe) wrote up the steps to convert one on the old site and it's a lot of work (compared to buying one which wasn't an option then). You have to cut a rather large hole in the side for the floor "hump" and add some trim holes. The lights, rear cover, passenger side trim, door, and the piece at the rear end of the door are the same. The wiring harness, driver's side trim, shifter top plate, and floor mounts are different and there is a carpeted cover to go over the floor hump that attaches to the driver's side (this is why the trim on that side is different). Compare the pictures above to an automatic console and you'll see the differences.

That one looks way better than mine! :2thumbs:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

OttawaCharger

Charge -it Outstanding work.  Thanks for the detailed post.  :2thumbs:

Troy - how about if he gets one of those top loader Tremec transmissions?  (Keisler) I don't know for sure but it looks like things would line up a lot better  :shruggy:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Troy

Quote from: OttawaCharger on June 28, 2007, 11:59:15 AM
Charge -it Outstanding work.  Thanks for the detailed post.  :2thumbs:

Troy - how about if he gets one of those top loader Tremec transmissions?  (Keisler) I don't know for sure but it looks like things would line up a lot better  :shruggy:
Uh well, line up where? The shifter will come straight out the top so you don't *technically* need the "hump" or to cut the hole in the floor that it covers. So, an auto console and brackets will work fine. You will need to trim the floor if you go that route but the console will hide it. The top plate for the 4-speed will work perfectly fine on that console with the correct shifter as well so there's no need to buy the side cover or trim. In my opinion, you need a console for the 5-speed because it looks silly to see a shifter poking out of the center of a Mopar floor. :P I have a couple of spare consoles and plates for mine but I may just go with the non-console factory 4-speed setup instead. I really like the look.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Anders

Thanks Troy. Keisler manual trans is the one I was thinking. I'm glad to hear that I can propably modify my auto console to work with the keisler manual trans. Anyway, it's the project of the future. Btw, has anyone used this keisler automatic to 5sp conversion?

Btw, the 4sp console looks awesome, I wish mine would look the same.
68 Charger

OttawaCharger

Anders - I thought there might be a chance that you were going with the Tremec thats why I mentioned it. 471_Magnum has one installed.  Put Keisler in the search bar at the top.  There has been lots of discussion on the conversion.

Troy - very good points!
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Magnumcharger

I just got a top plate delivered, fresh from China or wherever they make it. Not impressed with the quality, I'll post pics in a bit.
Oh yeah, got a console from L+A as well, again, there are issues!!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Magnumcharger

OK...here's the pictures.
Keep in mind, this is exactly how I recieved this item, right out of the packaging.

I was dissapointed to say the least.
Dirt in the paint like I've never seen before.

Check it out. Anybody else have similar results?