News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

easy fast way of repairing scratchs ???

Started by IBsmokin, August 27, 2005, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IBsmokin

hello what would be the easiest way to repair this scratch that would make it look like it was never scratched.

mopar_madman

kinda hard to tell from the pic but if you want it perfect its need to be repainted, touching it up will make it look ok from a distance but it will still be noticable up close.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Drop Top

Like was stated before. Can't tell from your picture. If its just a slight scratch on the surface. It can be buffed out. Otherwise you will need to get it repainted. Like madman sugjested.

IBsmokin

I hate to repaint the whole car, this car has its original paint job still on it, the rest of the car has a right nice sheen to it and stands right out just like the day it was first driven off the lot.

This car is my barn find, it sat in a barn for over 15 years and before that it was always garage kept.

see!  I would hate to have to repaint the whole car and takes its originality away from it.

Drop Top

Still can't see the scratch. Take the car to a detail shop and have the whole car buffed and detailed. Make sure its a good reputable shop. It will look like a new car if its done right.

moparguy01

it looks like the scratch went through the color on my monitor here. if thats the case you have to repaint or it wont look right. but if your careful you might be able to repaint just the fender and door and have it look ok with the rest of the car.....IF its done right.

if its not through the paint, try buffing it out.

this is one reason i like having alot of clearcoat on cars, if it gets scratched you can wetsand alittle and buff it back to a luster. (provided the scratch isnt too deep.)

Drop Top

You say this car has the origanal paint. If this is the case you can touch it up. But it will take some time. Only do this if the paint is scratched all the way past the top coat. I have fixed many scratches this way.

The origanal paint was a single stage paint. Take the car to a paint supple store and have the paint matched. Get a pint of the paint with the hardener.
Mix a small amount of paint and hardener into a small can (Like a cat food can). Do not thin the paint with reducer.
Now go along and dab paint into the scratch. Build it up past the top surface of the paint.
The next day use a small rubber block and sand the dabbed paint with 1000 grit wet paper. Sand it until the paint is even with the top layer of paint. If you didn't get enough paint inside the scratch the first time. Then you will have to repeat the first and second step.
After you have filled the scratch and sanded with 1000. You will need to buff the area. Then you will need to buff the entire car to make it look like new.
By the way if you have any chips in the car. They can be fixed the same way.

Silver R/T

looks like its too deep and will need repainting
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722