News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

#22 Daytona

Started by tan top, November 10, 2010, 03:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

moparstuart

looks way better then that other abomination they were trying to pass off at mecum as real .
:popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68X426

Quote from: moparstuart on November 10, 2010, 04:43:19 PM
looks way better then that other abomination they were trying to pass off at mecum as real .
:popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Here we go again with CSI Daytona.  :smilielol:

I agree that the Mecham scam-tona was an abomination. If this one's fake it's excellent. I'll take it. :drool5:

This one has what appears to be the correct airdam, nosecone, scoops, wing and especially the plug.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

jonw29

That was the show that I took my Talladega to.I spoke with the guy that did the restoration and from what I can tell it is legit.I can get his name and number.He gave me the specifics of it previous owners.I dont remember all of it of course but it seemed to be too much info to make up.

hemigeno

Isn't this the one that was advertised ad nauseum at Barrett-Jackson a couple years ago? 

IIRC the car has a lot of correct parts on it, but I thought its pedigree as the #22 Rossi/Allison Daytona was primarily based on some roll cage paint.  Not necessarily a wrong conclusion, but hard to justify spending big money - which ended up being the case.  I think it went for way less than a 4-speed street hemi Daytona would ever sell for even by today's standards.

It looked to be a pretty correct specimen judging from the pictures and comments made back then.

Aero426

The #22 Daytona is another car that it would be enlightening to see photos in its as discovered feral state.    Geno, I believe you are correct that the decision to restore as an Allison car was based on paint found on the cage.

Weird things:   Why is there no drivers torsion bar adjustment?   Also, the torsion bar crossmember does not tie into the bottom bar of the cage, which should be welded to the rocker panel.    

The sample photo of the project car (not #22!) below shows the adjustment mechanism below the steering wheel, and the proper welding of the torsion X-member running from side to side tied to the cage.  

wingman(22)

Doug,
Is it possible this is the McKinney car? It had never really proved to be my dads car. But was done to look very close.
These race cars are voodooo. If you put one out there it better be documented.
I have some documentation on my Hylton car but I think I am going to bury it so I will not have to go thru the headache of explaining what I have.

Aero426

Quote from: wingman(22) on November 11, 2010, 10:00:29 AM
Doug,
Is it possible this is the McKinney car? It had never really proved to be my dads car. But was done to look very close.

Yes, it is the car Pat McKinney restored.    George Wallace looked at it and expressed that it was not quite like what he remembered Bobby's cars being like.    I think it is probably a real Nichels car, but there are some swings and misses on the execution.  I realize some things may have changed through the years and they may not have been corrected during restoration.   The fuel cell looks wrong.    The double shock mounts under the hood are just flat pieces of steel.    The dash guage panel isn't right.    

Bill, are there detail photos of the hood of your dads Daytona that would show if the leading edge was turned down like the #88 car?   Ray Elder's original Daytona hood is also like this.  Same with the Nichels #99.   They fabricated this edge and added metal to the hood, I assume to keep air from getting underneath, and it extends the hood all the way forward since the rubber gasket is not present.  See photo below.  Just asking...

wingman(22)

I will have to see if I have any. If not there is a mechanic that has some photos of my dads cars. He used to work on my fathers cars back in the day.
I will see if he has any. I have never noticed that before. I did talk to Doug Dempsey about his new hood and he said it had an extension on it but he did not say it was rolled.