News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Surface rust inside the doors.

Started by bull, August 28, 2005, 04:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

If you're not having the car dipped, and the media blaster doesn't get all the rust inside the doors (between the skins and the panels) what do you do in there? Spray everything down with POR 15, Hammerite or what? Any advice?

Drop Top

Its been my experance that POR-15 dosent work well on surface rust. I would sugjest useing a wire brush and then metal etch and prime.

javakmcharger68

I thought por 15 was made for surface rust?

ck1

Bull i did mine with por-15 this last winter, knock of the loose stuff with a scotch brite pad and put the stuff on with a paint brush, I check it every once in a while and its still on, hasn't pealed and it was surface rust, the kind that would only come off with some hard sanding or sandblasting, pretty scaly, which i don't know if dippin would even remove it, for i think dippen is more for just paint removal, doesn't get all the rust, could be wrong, but I'm to cheap to dip or sand blast, for its not that bad i think on my car......
CJK

Drop Top

I guess the meaning of surface rust is differant to whoever is using the term. To me it means any rust that you can sand away easy or metal etch and it will be gone. Anything heavier then that is just rust. If you can't do any of the mentioned to get rid of the rust. Then, Yes POR-15 will work on it. That is just what POR was intended for.

ck1

also bull, I was considering and still might do, for there is a old dent repair on my left pass side door, is have the door skins removed and repair the dent and then have the rust clean up, for your right it is very hard to sand or media blast in this area for it is very tight, it was really tuff just trying to sand, vacuum and brush por-15 in these areas with the small little openings on the inside of the door on my car...............
CJK

runningman

I took my doors off and had them dipped, came out really nice

MoparUSAF

You can spray Por-15  !!!!
Does it have to be thinned out with something?
Details please!

AKcharger

I know eastwoods rust encapsulator can...thin 20% with laqer thinner and spray

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Drop Top on August 29, 2005, 09:32:22 AM
I guess the meaning of surface rust is differant to whoever is using the term. To me it means any rust that you can sand away easy or metal etch and it will be gone. Anything heavier then that is just rust. If you can't do any of the mentioned to get rid of the rust. Then, Yes POR-15 will work on it. That is just what POR was intended for.

POR makes Metal-Ready to prep clean metal for the POR-15 coat. Probably similar to metal-etch.
They say it MUST be used if there isn't a lot of rust to bit into.

Troy

Quote from: MoparUSAF on August 30, 2005, 12:14:52 PM
You can spray Por-15  !!!!
Does it have to be thinned out with something?
Details please!

It always helps to read the instructions:
http://www.prp-porstore.com/POR15-Complete-Instructions.html

This has been mentioned before but I'll bring it up again. Be extremely careful when spraying POR-15 as it is "moisture-cured" and if you breathe it then it will "cure" (harden) in your lungs:
NOTE: Organic vapor particulate respirators, NIOSH/MSHA approved, must be used when spraying POR-15.

IS IT BETTER TO BRUSH OR SPRAY POR-15?
Most people brush it on, but many spray also. Proper equipment and organic vapor particulate respirators for solvents are essential for spraying.

HOW DO I THIN POR-15 IF I WANT TO SPRAY IT?
You should use only POR-15 Solvent for thinning. Keep lacquer thinner handy for clean-up. Do not thin POR-15 more than 5%.
Found at:
http://www.prp-porstore.com/POR-15-FAQ.html#applic

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodgecharger-fan

You're good. I went looking for that info and couldn't find it...

Drop Top

mopar_madman

You can buy zero rust aerosol and spray, thats what I do in a tight spot I take the spray button off and put one that will accept the stem attachment (like on a can of WD40) and shoot it in cracks and crevices that you can't normally reach.
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

big al

Hi I know we  are quaint here in the uk england,, but we do get rather alot of rain and we do salt the roads, I have found all the rust remedies rather expensive and quite frankly a waste of time and money,, the best I've found to use ,,, is cheap and very effective here anyways,,,, buy a gallon of cheap 20/50 oil remove the loose particles and paint on with a brush. It seems to last for years and have never found rust re-apearing, you can re-coat every couple years if you so choose too. ;) :icon_smile_wink:

bull

Quote from: big al on September 09, 2005, 01:01:54 PM
Hi I know we   are quaint here in the uk england,, but we do get rather alot of rain and we do salt the roads, I have found all the rust remedies rather expensive and quite frankly a waste of time and money,, the best I've found to use ,,, is cheap and very effective here anyways,,,, buy a gallon of cheap 20/50 oil remove the loose particles and paint on with a brush. It seems to last for years and have never found rust re-apearing, you can re-coat every couple years if you so choose too. ;) :icon_smile_wink:

I've heard that too. Not sure what to make of it yet. ??? No reason why it wouldn't work I guess as long as it's not too thick.

ck1

Quote from: bull on September 09, 2005, 11:21:02 PM
Quote from: big al on September 09, 2005, 01:01:54 PM
Hi I know we   are quaint here in the uk england,, but we do get rather alot of rain and we do salt the roads, I have found all the rust remedies rather expensive and quite frankly a waste of time and money,, the best I've found to use ,,, is cheap and very effective here anyways,,,, buy a gallon of cheap 20/50 oil remove the loose particles and paint on with a brush. It seems to last for years and have never found rust re-apearing, you can re-coat every couple years if you so choose too. ;) :icon_smile_wink:

I've heard that too. Not sure what to make of it yet. ??? No reason why it wouldn't work I guess as long as it's not too thick.
make sure you paint your car first or Roley poley fish eyes :icon_smile_dead:
CJK

BigBlockSam

i saw a 67 chevy that the frame was rusted out except where the engine was leaking oil on. so that must work. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Wakko

Naturally oil will work, but I'd be concerned with it affecting the paint on the other side.  Not sure if it would, just my concern.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

4402tuff4u

Wow! If it's that dangerous when spraying POR15, have the wife do it! :yesnod:

(Just a joke)
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"