News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gear ratio with rear out of car

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 22, 2005, 12:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I have the rear out on jack stands. There are no wheels on the car. I want to get the gear ratio so I can pick a good cam and stall. I know you can get the ratio by turning the driveshaft (pinion yoke) and seeing how many turns it takes for the wheels to make one revolution, but seeing as I have no wheels on, can this be done the other way around? Sitting on the side and turning the axle and seeing how many times the yoke turns.

thanks

Chryco Psycho

yes it can be done , if you use the yolk both axles have to turn equally to be accurate
if you turn 1 axle make sure the other doesn`t turn & double the # of turns the yolk makes

javakmcharger68

I'm sorry but I'm a bit slow in this area. Chryco Psycho could you explain that a little further. Don't want to bother you but this really interests me. I have never been told the story on how to fully do this. How many turns of your yoke equal what. Basicly what I'm trying to spit out is that try explaining as you would to an  idiot!  ::) I have pride, but I have to say it as I see it. Thanks

Oh I have to say that I do know what everything is & called, just not how to do this. Thank again 

Chryco Psycho

rotate the yolk , both axles Must turn equally to be accurate
if the yolk turn 3.5 turns for 1 complete rotation of both axles then you have 3.55 gears