News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OT.....My 65 is off for its cage and mini-tubs!!!

Started by Hemidoug, November 18, 2006, 02:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

It looks like my future 10 second ride is off for its cage and mini-tubs tomorrow. I won't see it again until spring, so I thought I'd take some pics and post them for you all. The guy I'm bringing it to does some really good work for reasonable money. It's a 3 hour drive from my house, so I hope it's worth it. I think I'm going to go with a ladder bar setup and a narrowed Moser rear. Plans are to run a stroker RB in the 500+ cube range with a 727. I'm hoping to get it deep into the 10s with that setup. If anybody has a favorite stroker setup for a 440 please let me know. That will be my next purchase for the car. I'm going to try to have the drive line set for when she comes home and start getting some track time!

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

BigBlockSam

nice car! it's gonna look great with some big meats in the back.  :thumbs:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Blusmbl

Nice.  Who's doing the mini-tubs?  My body guy did them in my car, used the stock inner and outer, just sectioned it 2.5" and ran it in to the framerails.  Just looking in the trunk you'd have no idea they'd been widened.

As for a stroker 440, if you're using a stock block I'd reccomend a 512" kit from 440source.com, be sure to have your machinist check everything closely though.

I'm building an EZ-headed 511 for mine.
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

Hemidoug

Quote from: Blusmbl on November 18, 2006, 04:31:50 PM
Nice.  Who's doing the mini-tubs?  My body guy did them in my car, used the stock inner and outer, just sectioned it 2.5" and ran it in to the framerails.  Just looking in the trunk you'd have no idea they'd been widened.

As for a stroker 440, if you're using a stock block I'd reccomend a 512" kit from 440source.com, be sure to have your machinist check everything closely though.

I'm building an EZ-headed 511 for mine.

Yep, that is where I want to go with this, 512 stroker with the Indy EZ heads. Have you seen the latest (Jan 07) issue of Mopar Muscle? They are doing a stroker with Indy head build up that I have been following. They just did an interesting article on flowing different intakes with the EZ heads. I am considering the cross ram for my setup, but after reading that article I may go with the Indy intake. They are going to dyno the build up with the intakes they flowed, so stay tuned....

Blusmbl

Yep, AndyF from Moparts writes most of those.  That thing made over 700 with the CNC'd heads, a single 4bbl intake, and a nice roller cam.  Not bad at all, the heads are wicked.  :icon_smile_cool:
Caintmakit Racing: Craptastic!
-66 BondoVille Roadster
-05 QC Hemi Ram
-looking for another '68-'69 Charger

Charger_Fan

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 18, 2006, 03:13:26 PM
nice car! it's gonna look great with some big meats in the back.  :thumbs:
:iagree: Make sure to show us the results. :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

firefighter3931

Nice Doug !  :cheers: Is this going to be a steet car or just a race car ? As for engine combinations for mid 10's....you can do that with a std stroke 440 and e-heads. R2 has a 440 in his 65 belvedere running mid 10's.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hemidoug

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 19, 2006, 08:30:45 AM
Nice Doug !  :cheers: Is this going to be a steet car or just a race car ? As for engine combinations for mid 10's....you can do that with a std stroke 440 and e-heads. R2 has a 440 in his 65 belvedere running mid 10's.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
It's going to be raced at first, maybe pro-street after I can afford the body work.....

After talking to the chassis guy today, I decided to go with back halving and going with a full cage to be legal if I bust 10s. I looked over some of the jobs the guy has done and they are just great. The guy knows the NHRA rule book by heart and was full of good advise. Basically, he told me that it was better to go with full tubs/cage so I wouldn't have to rip everything apart later on if I just went with mini-tubs and a partial cage. Cage design changes for time below 10.0 and if I ran faster then that, I would have to replace all the work that I had done. So....it's a full cage and tubs then!!!!!  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: . I decided to go with 31-18.50-15 tires and Weld rims. Next step is to get him the rims and tires, then he will let me know what width the rear has to be. Once I have that info, it's off to Mosier for the rear. Looks like the rear suspension\tubbing will be first, then the cage. The adventure begins!

wedgeheaded

Make sure you post some in process pics for us DYI ers. I'd like that for my 64 Polara project. Best to ya. Tony

firefighter3931

Quote from: Hemidoug on November 19, 2006, 05:09:17 PM
Basically, he told me that it was better to go with full tubs/cage so I wouldn't have to rip everything apart later on if I just went with mini-tubs and a partial cage. Cage design changes for time below 10.0 and if I ran faster then that, I would have to replace all the work that I had done. So....it's a full cage and tubs then!!!!! 

That is good advice !  :thumbs: It never hurts to overbuild the chassis with potential upgrades in mind. Kamkuda is doing the same thing with his 68 Roadrunner allthough he went the mini tub route with ladder bars and a 10pt cage. The wheelwells on the later B's can accomodate some big rubber with a basic mini tub job.....31x16.5 fits fine with the correct offset rim & backspacing. On yours, the backhalf is the best way to go for some serious meat under the quarters.  :icon_smile_cool:

Looking forward to some progress pics !  ;D

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

R2

Congrats,,,,,,,going to be sweet....keep the pics coming....
The trim on your car looks to be in good shape....do you have a grill for it....mine is ok,,,but could use some fixing....was the car red at one point ?
I sent mine out for paint today,,,,heads will get done,,,and then reassemble,,,and hope to be up and racing by spring.......
Doug

Hemidoug

Quote from: R2 on November 19, 2006, 09:11:10 PM
Congrats,,,,,,,going to be sweet....keep the pics coming....
The trim on your car looks to be in good shape....do you have a grill for it....mine is ok,,,but could use some fixing....was the car red at one point ?
I sent mine out for paint today,,,,heads will get done,,,and then reassemble,,,and hope to be up and racing by spring.......
Doug

The trim is in fairly good shape, some dings and scratches that need to be taken care of. I did get a grill with the car, but it needs a TON of work. I was able to buy another one that still needs work, but a lot less then the one that came with the car. The car was originally gold like yours, but has been painted MANY time since. I think I'll loose 100 lbs off the car once I strip all the paint off of her. I think the car was so well preserved because of all the paint! I don't know if I will have her all together by next year, built at least I'll have a lot of the heavy lifting done. I'm going to have a very busy summer next year, I've still got a 71 R/T to put together! I am really excited about working on the 65.  I'm getting tired of having just show poodles. My street Hemi has just not satisfied my need for speed! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_evil: :devil: