News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have any updates on their daytona/superbird clone projects?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, November 22, 2006, 03:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

Anyone have any updates on their daytona/superbird clone projects?-MATT

Daytonalo?, sunroofsuperbird? Daytona R/T SE? etc?

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

yea , i haven't touched it since before the summer . I'm taking a break after finishing my 68 r/t . it's gonna be daytona spring . I've been rounding up some more parts  and money . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Wish I had something new to report on Howie's clone, but too many other things going on...like a new building to work out of. Howie's out in California and he's supposed to check with a couple of companies to make the hinges. So far I've completed two trunk conversions, one for Howie and one for Rene. I hope to start cutting on Howie's car to install the vega plug real soon.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Last weekend I just finished up installing the subframe connectors, hemi torque boxes, and leaf spring hanger reinforcement plates--she's good and stiff now...there's been some progress lately....but nothing really photo-worthy :P

sunroofsuperbird

Same here been busy with everything else. Have 2 rollbacks and both are broke trying to get them back on road. the motor blew up in my GTO changing it out. so Nothing photo worthy here also. did get it wet sanded today and hope to put some more clear on it this weekend.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

Old Moparz

Been working on my house on & off most of this year & haven't touched anything in the garage. I'm facing the construction of a new shed & rebuilding a retaining wall next. I looked at my Charger last week & might go out to look at it again later after some turkey leftovers.   ::)
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

A383Wing

Yea...still got no brakes...oh well...it's gonna be a long winter anyway...

Bryan

jodaddy1

ok not a great update but the framework for the nose is almost done.

hotrod98

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Howie

Staying busy getting the hemi ready for install on the daytona project after larry is finished with it. I am working on getting the trunk hinges made via cnc so all are the same bend then sending them to larry for installation of all the brackets. Right now I am installing heat and air in my shop. Gotta have comfort.

hotrod98

Quote from: Howie on December 19, 2006, 12:42:44 PM
Right now I am installing heat and air in my shop. Gotta have comfort.

Yeah...air last weekend...heat this weekend. From 75 degrees to 50 degrees. Why couldn't it have stayed warm say....until May. The shop floor in my new building was sweating big time when I opened the doors last weekend.

Charles Addams

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

I got a spare FG daytona lower valance laying around if anyone needs
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hotrod98

Finally found time to work on Howie's Daytona clone this weekend. First I took the wing back off to make it easier to work on the car. I then removed the back glass moldings and back glass. That thing was in there good. Managed to remove all of the moldings and the glass without damaging anything. I also cut the 3rd gen dutchman panel and tacked it in temporarily. While it isn't a direct match for an original, it's close enough to work and won't look all that bad at all. The depths on the steps are a little different than the charger drip channel, but the radius matches the front edge of the converted trunk lid perfectly. The dutchman panel is a little too flexible in the middle so I installed a temporary brace to hold it into place until the vega plug is in. I still haven't decided the best way to install the vega plug. There's a couple of different ways to go. I'll study it a little more and decide pretty soon. I'm ready for that plug to be in. I had hoped to start cutting on the plug today but ran out of time.
I also started working on my wife's Superbird clone this past week. I stripped the coronet fenders and started the body work on them. I moved the car to the dealership so that I can work on it in my spare time. Hope to have it on the rotisserie very soon.

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

nitrometal

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 14, 2007, 09:52:15 PM
Finally found time to work on Howie's Daytona clone this weekend.
I also started working on my wife's Superbird clone this past week. I moved the car to the dealership so that I can work on it in my spare time.

Geez Larry,  I sure hope that you would get a hobby or something to take up that "spare time".  :lolexplode:

I haven't moved my ass off the couch in a month or more.  You sure are making me feel guilty! :spank:

Phil
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

hotrod98

If I had a nice superbird clone to drive, I'd probably be sitting on the couch right now as well. lol   Hey Phil are you guys getting hammered with the cold wave like we are? We missed the ice and snow that Oklahoma got hit with but it's in the 20's right now. Not used to this kind of weather.

Charles Addams

nitrometal

Yeah, we're getting it, only not as bad as just north of here.  But, they did announce that schools will be closed tomorrow including the one I work at.   SWEEEET!!!  More sitting on the couch!!!   ;D

hotrod98

Worked on Howard's clone this weekend. I've got the vega plug roughed in. Will still need to work on it a little more before I start welding. Howard's coming down on Tuesday to look at it before I go any further. I used a 3rd gen dutchman panel for the front drip channel to make the job a little easier. I still have to cut out a panel to fill in the space above the plug. Before I start welding everything up for good, I'll attach the headliner retainers and make a panel to fill in the area between the bottom of the plug and the original Charger dutchman panel. Now I'm getting excited about starting on my Daytona clone. Can't though, my wife says that her Superbird clone has to be finished before I can start on my project.

Charles Addams

dads_69

Looks good Larry. Thats where I'm at w/mine as well. Ready to weld it into place. car is under 2 feet of snow at this moment,but thats ok. I'm working on other parts for it as well for this spring. Thanks for the photos.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hotrod98

Mark, Luckily it hasn't snowed here...yet. It's been a lot colder here than usual though and that could change. I had to run the heat in the shop on Saturday to stay warm enough to work. So much for the warm sunny south. I called daytonalo half way through this part of the project to get a couple of pointers. It definitely helped. I had to cut a few reliefs in the vega plug in the lower area to get it to lay down properly. I also melted the lead out of the seams to have a solid place to weld so that it wouldn't crack back out later. If anyone melts the lead out of their seams, be sure to wear a respirator. That stuff can cause long term problems with your lungs, liver and kidneys. I already have enough problems from the isocyanates in the urethanes that I've been shooting for the last twenty years. I don't need more lung problems.
As for Howard's car, I can't ignore the work that needs to be done on the nose much longer. I'm going to study those pics of daytonalo's nose to see if I can get some ideas. I've already bought the GTO actuators. Two sets actually, one set for Howard's car and one set for mine. Once we have the nose fitiing properly, we're going to remove it and build our mold.
As for the Superbird project, I have the coronet fenders and hood mounted and aligned and need to start cutting on the hood to add the extension. I've had the z-braces on and the nose set in place, but had to remove them to install the coronet hood. Another story for another day.
hotrod98

Charles Addams

daytonalo

I look at those photos and its amazing , those photos look like my car a year ago , my Vega plug was red as well . Looks good !Need any help with headliner teeth call me . Larry O

hotrod98

That's funny. Howard saw the pics and called me tonight. I told him that his car would look a lot better if it was stripped or at least all one color. I can't wait until it's as far along as yours. The bad thing is, I get to do this all over again when I start on mine. I told Howard that he needed to get the inside trim moldings so that I can set the retainers in place correctly. Thanks for all of your help. I need to get those pics of your a-pillar trims on my brid clone. I took them off to keep them from getting scratched or dented. I'll put them back on temporarily and take pics. They look great.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Year one has the rear window inside trim , I'm sure your aware of that

nitrometal

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 21, 2007, 11:52:15 PM
Howard saw the pics and called me tonight. I told him that his car would look a lot better if it was stripped or at least all one color.

Yeah, I was looking at those pics and thinking that it had been sitting out in a field most of its life.  I don't recall any prior progress pics of Howard's car. Other than the way it looks now, is it in good condition?  I would imagine that there's no use in making it look pretty until you get everything roughed in, huh?

Howie

I had gotten it with another car deal and yes its been sitting outside for a # of years. Pretty much stripped and no one wanted it so with no interior it was a great canidate for a race car. Body is solid. I`ll have it media blasted and primered after all the mod work is done.

nitrometal

Quote from: Howie on January 22, 2007, 08:57:18 PM
I had gotten it with another car deal and yes its been sitting outside for a # of years. Pretty much stripped and no one wanted it so with no interior it was a great canidate for a race car. Body is solid. I`ll have it media blasted and primered after all the mod work is done.

That would make a good candidate then, huh?  As long as no Charger goes unused  :smilielol:
That project will be street legal, right Howard?

jmanscharger

1968 Silver Charger RT
1969 Yellow Charger 440
1969 Charger General Lee Replica (rescued W.VA car)
1970 Charger RT Daytona Replica
Previous Chargers Owned 66, 68(2), 69(2), 70(3)

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hotrod98 on January 21, 2007, 07:44:21 PM
Worked on Howard's clone this weekend. I've got the vega plug roughed in. Will still need to work on it a little more before I start welding. Howard's coming down on Tuesday to look at it before I go any further. I used a 3rd gen dutchman panel for the front drip channel to make the job a little easier. I still have to cut out a panel to fill in the space above the plug. Before I start welding everything up for good, I'll attach the headliner retainers and make a panel to fill in the area between the bottom of the plug and the original Charger dutchman panel. Now I'm getting excited about starting on my Daytona clone. Can't though, my wife says that her Superbird clone has to be finished before I can start on my project.

Great work Hotrod98

hotrod98

Thanks. Sheetmetal work is not one of my strong points. I just don't work with it enough really. The only real problem that I've had is the rear part of the vega plug. I cut reliefs on the sides that helped, but there is still a slight amount of buckling that needs to be addressed. Anyone have suggestions?
I'll have to wait for the interior moldings before I go any further since I need to locate the headliner/molding retainers before welding the plug in permanently.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

The headliner teeth can go in last , thats how I did mine , if you need a close-up shot let me know . As far as the plug , are the reliefs deep enough and in the right spot ? It takes some tweaking !

hotrod98

Larry, I was looking at some old pics that I think are of your car and I don't see any reliefs cut into the vega plug. Where did you cut the reliefs? As for the teeth, I want to wait until the moldings are here before I attach them.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

A couple of updates, sort of.
I've started to re-glass the nose for my bird clone back together. I had Don Currie cut it up to ship it out of Canada which saved around $400. I'm starting to think that I should have just paid the extra dollars now. Kind of a pain to glass this thing back together.
I also received the Janek nose that I bought on e-bay a couple of weeks ago. Thanks Rene for posting the e-bay info on here. I plan to alter it and use it on the 71 Charger that I bought. Now I need to decide what wing to alter for the g-series project.
I found a pretty solid plain jane 71 charger in a salvage yard. The only rust is a couple of spots in the lower quarters and on the passenger side floor pan. Howard found me a nice pair of 71 fenders for it. I already have a 71 R/T louvered hood and a set of door skins with the 71 style depressions. I also have a sunroof car that I bought from the same salvage yard for $250. May install the sunroof in the 71. I still need the headlamp doors, side markers and a set of the R/T style taillights. Trying to decide which engine and tranny to use in this car. I have a 340 4 speed setup, a 440 automatic setup and a 440-6 4 speed setup. I was planning to use the 440-6 4 speed setup in the 70 cuda that I bought last week.
I should have Howard's vega plug completely welded in this weekend. I'll post pics then.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

glad i could help Larry. looking forward to seeing the plug installed. Rene

chargerbird

Just came across you web site. I just bought this car in last week. it's a 69 charger SE was a 318 but motor is gone and had a 440. I have a rebuild 440 and 440 six pack. will decide when i get closer to working on the car. I am looking at who overall does the best nose at a good price. The wing on the car is a real Daytona, that is the only reason i bought the car. anyways any suggestions will help.  Starting with the vega hatch back ...what year will work on the 69 charger? thanks peter

THE CHARGER PUNK

IowaCharger69

This is my favorite parts locater. There's a few options:

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Chevrolet Vega
Hatch

edit: the website wont let me post the search results so you'll have to enter in the search the parameters yourself.

hotrod98

Quote from: chargerbird on March 12, 2007, 11:02:57 PM
were did you get the nose? thanks

In my opinion, at this point in time, your best bet is to get with Larry O'Donnell (daytonalo) and see when he can build you a complete working nose. This will save you the aggravation of having to gather all of the parts needed to make it work and will save you from having to figure out how to make it work as well. Trust me when I say that in the long run you will save a lot of money and time going this route. Been there...done that. 
Once it arrives, you just bolt it on, hook up the lights and vacuum lines, align it to your fenders and paint it. Otherwise, you will spend a year trying to gather the correct parts and another year trying to figure out how to make the darn thing operate.
You will still need to alter your 70 fenders (69 hood and fenders won't work) and install the valance and fender scoops. You will also need a latch tray and nose seals.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

hotrod98

Charles Addams

65post

Quote from: chargerbird on March 12, 2007, 10:49:34 PM
Just came across you web site. I just bought this car in last week. it's a 69 charger SE was a 318 but motor is gone and had a 440. I have a rebuild 440 and 440 six pack. will decide when i get closer to working on the car. I am looking at who overall does the best nose at a good price. The wing on the car is a real Daytona, that is the only reason i bought the car. anyways any suggestions will help.  Starting with the vega hatch back ...what year will work on the 69 charger? thanks peter
Are you sure that is a daytona wing ???
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

daytonalo

wingcar builder

unfortunately that is a superbird wing, you can tell by the way it angles back. but as stated earlier you can sell that one very easily and get the one you need and then some. but don't take it as slamming. you got a far better deal this way. ~ Wcb

70charger_boy

Quote from: chargerbird on March 12, 2007, 10:49:34 PM

Whats up with the 2 fuel caps?