News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are you being encouraged to sell your Charger?

Started by JimShine, August 29, 2005, 11:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflyer

Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Afflyer

Volk68, don't take that center smiley personal- I was just DYING to use it!!!  :devil:

Considering I wanted a '69 Charger for over twenty years, my "Mistress" isn't for sale.  :eyes: 

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

beenaround

my take is simple.my wife and  i have owned our chargers since the 70's.if we sell them we will never have the chance to replace them.they both have that pristene sheetmetal that can only come from being stored inside for years.i  redid mine in 1989 and started on hers in 2001.we're not rich but these cars hold a lot of  magic memorys for us! so no we have no plans to sell!!!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Been there done that.  Was selling mine a few weeks ago to a guy in Cali......strung me along for a week.

Went as far as opening another account to wire the $$ into.....then the guy emails me telling me he cant buy the car..."wife was giving me too much flack" (didnt even have the ball$ to call me and tell me)

The sheer joy on my kids faces when I told them "daddy is keeping the car" was all that I needed to get back to reality........

Never again!!........well almost never........unless someone throws the same # or better at me..... ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on September 07, 2005, 02:39:38 AM
Been there done that.  Was selling mine a few weeks ago to a guy in Cali......strung me along for a week.

Went as far as opening another account to wire the $$ into.....then the guy emails me telling me he cant buy the car..."wife was giving me too much flack" (didnt even have the ball$ to call me and tell me)

The sheer joy on my kids faces when I told them "daddy is keeping the car" was all that I needed to get back to reality........

Never again!!........well almost never........unless someone throws the same # or better at me..... ;)

Sorry the deal fell through on your car....I totally understood what you were thinking but, got to admit I am glad to hear you are keeping it.  :boogie: :boogie: 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

charge69

Only people encouraging me to sell my Charger are the people who want to BUY my Charger!! My wife and I have been through some hard economic times over the years and had to really sacrifice to get by , but the Charger was never for sale. Was offered 10 times what I paid for it 2 years after I bought it and turned it down. Benn offered stupid money for it lately by people who could actually afford it but .... not yet!!!  Nothing like driving a Charger!! Got to get mine restored soon!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

JimShine

Glad I am in good company guys. My car isn't as desireable as most of yours, but I love it. I have seen every nook and cranny a million times, but I never get tired of just looking at it, never mind driving it. Even at car shows I will sit and look at my car as if it wasn't even mine. If there is another there, I will give that equal time, but something feels good when you know you are driving a particular one home.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: JimShine on September 07, 2005, 12:37:32 PM
Glad I am in good company guys. My car isn't as desireable as most of yours, but I love it. I have seen every nook and cranny a million times, but I never get tired of just looking at it, never mind driving it. Even at car shows I will sit and look at my car as if it wasn't even mine. If there is another there, I will give that equal time, but something feels good when you know you are driving a particular one home.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :2thumbs:
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

chargervert

I currently have 5 Chargers,I have a 70 R/T SE 440 4 speed dana car,that I just put a 472 crate Hemi in,a 69 500,with a Daytona nose and wing on it,my 70 Charger R/T convertible that I built from a Satelite,and I have two 68 Chargers,one of which I am going to build with/for my son! While the prices are getting crazy,I have no interest in selling any of them! I suppose everything has its price! I'm still kicking myself for cars that I have sold in the past! Like most of us Mopar people who are true inthueists, I bought most of the eleven Mopars I own back when they were still affordable! I would'nt want to have to replace them at todays prices!

Afflyer

:o Wow Chris- I never thought you'd consider selling your Charger, after all the "sweat equity" you've put into it.

I'm glad you're holding on to what most of us- especially me, use for reference!  :D

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:

2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Ghoste

I don't get hassled about selling this one.  I had one that I got hassled about before and caved to the pressure and have regretted it ever since.  I'd sell this one, but only AFTER getting something I like better to replace it.  I'm not too sure my wife would let me get rid of it though.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Afflyer on September 08, 2005, 02:07:43 AM
:o Wow Chris- I never thought you'd consider selling your Charger, after all the "sweat equity" you've put into it.

I'm glad you're holding on to what most of us- especially me, use for reference! :D

Bradley :icon_smile_approve:
I never thought I would even attempt to as well......when the DOH bandwagon came by, I listed it on ebay for a goof.....got some serious offers on her though.  One serious enough to make me commit but like I said it fell through and I'm glad it did.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Kern Dog

I hear people talk about people throwing out offers for their cars. This has only happened to me a few times in the 17 years that I have owned the car. Its not as if mine is a weird color or full of bad workmanship so I wonder why I rarely get hassled?
I have no intention to sell it anyway. If I didn't have this car to tinker and play with, I'd be a mess.

6pkrtse

Mine is not for sale ever. I have been offered over 4 times what I have into it. Yes, there are plenty of others out there much nicer but to this day I have never seen another R/T S.E. loaded with all of the options like mine has & the fact that I have had it since I was a teenager & it is still unrestored makes it priceless to me.

I have another Charger that I could also sell for probably 5-6 times what I have into it but I am not into this hobby for the money. I am into it for the love of American Musclecars (Mopars). Charger #2 is not going anywhere either after the fact that for my youngest Son's Birthday I handed him the title's to the second Charger & the Road Runner & asked him which one he wanted & he chose the Charger because he wanted to be like Dad. The look on his face & his reaction to me giving this to him made this one now priceless to me also. The Road Runner now belongs to my oldest Son who was just as happy & surprised. We are going to restore, show or race them all together over time.     
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

Paul G

I have had this Charger for 7 years now. Getting the 7 year itch. I would consider selling it soon. 
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

ITSA426

I'm considering thinning the fleet, just because I have so many, and it's getting to be a lot to maintain them.

The plan is to ask plenty for them and keep whatever doesn't sell.  If nothing sells I'll keep them all.

taxspeaker

It is really interesting to read this 12 year old thread, the prices, the comments and the "no longer active" posters. I would be interested to hear what the original posters have to say today, with prices way beyond the 3x cost "stupid money" statement. Try 8-10 times cost if you bought it in 2005! Not knocking anyone, just commenting on how interesting the thread is.

Paul G

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 06, 2017, 09:08:20 PM
It is really interesting to read this 12 year old thread, the prices, the comments and the "no longer active" posters. I would be interested to hear what the original posters have to say today, with prices way beyond the 3x cost "stupid money" statement. Try 8-10 times cost if you bought it in 2005! Not knocking anyone, just commenting on how interesting the thread is.

I was post #20 way back in 2005. I had a 73 Charger back then. Sold it in 2008, in 2010 I bought the 72 I have now. And I am ready to let it go. lol
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

smithenhiven

I've had my Charger for about a year and a half now.  I think I got a pretty good deal on it when I bought it ($25K for a driver quality 70 RT).  I've had one serious offer for nearly double what I paid for it, but I'd rather have the car than the cash, just like the person who wants to buy it.

Offblue

I know a few dudes who go through this every time they make it to a car show, some guy with deep pockets who "doesn't have the time" to build his own. I have one guy who's had his mustang over 10 years, ground up resto, nut and bolt everything, how do you even put a price on that invested time and money?

The equation goes like this ... 100k+ for the car + sentiment and time = a bit over half a million and you can driver her away now. Hahaha.

When it comes to family, unless they love it the same or at least have the same amount of passion they will only every view it as a large pile of money sitting in the garage.

chargerboy69

I knew it was a old thread was I saw Jim Shine as the one starting it.

Money talks, the old cars are always for sale.  My F-350 dually on the other hand, shes a keeper.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

Just 6T9 CHGR

I was the last post in 2005....still have it!  20 years and going strong!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cdr

I wish I never sold my 1st car back in the late 70's & it was a 68 Charger, so the 68 Charger I own now for 6 years would be really hard for me to sell, when I am having a bad MS day I can walk out in the garage & see my car, it is very good therapy, even better is,, get in,fire up the 512,turn the ac on, get on I-10 west at 80 mph click on the overdrive & realize that life is still good.    :yesnod:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!