News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are you being encouraged to sell your Charger?

Started by JimShine, August 29, 2005, 11:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad mcintyre

Petebell68

Not by the family but by quite a few people at cars shows or such

Kern Dog

Years back when I had my Camaro, I had thoughts of some checkbook guy stepping up to buy mine....My thoughts were to how I'd take the money to build one that I liked better.
With my 70 Charger, I have it pretty much the way that I like it. To replace it with an identically built car would be silly.

nvrbdn

I would consider selling mine, but only if I were to find my 68 from my high school days. And it would have to be for sale. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Challenger340

Show-n-shines invariably result in inquiries ?

Best to just very politely say "NO, but Thanks for the interest"..... because there is no point explaining things ad nauseam..... until they realize it's beyond their potential budget ?

Otherwise, for those that are persistent in that "anything is For Sale for a Price".... it goes something like this:

"Nice Restoration, who restored it ?"
It's NOT restored
"HUH" ?

"Looks to be in great shape, nice body & paint, Vinyl Top looks great too, What was the original color and how much body work was done to get so straight for the Black paint" ?
It's originally a Black Car, one exterior only repaint in the 80's, all original sheet metal, NO rust or accidents, and btw the Vinyl top is original
"HUH" ?

"Hemi or 440 Magnum Engine ? and what's been done to the Engine" ?
It's the numbers matching factory original 440 Magnum, never rebuilt or touched, and still in great running condition.
"HUH" ?

"New Exhaust System" ?
Nope... factory Original Exhaust Pipes/System is still intact
"HUH" ?

"OH, then it's a survivor then" ?
Nope, was repainted in the 80's
"HUH" ?

and on.... and on....
Like I said.... Best to just say NO and enjoy the day ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

morepower

I had a guy tell me he had someone who'd buy mine for 85k, I would have to send him pics and stuff. I said well the car isn't for sale, but if the guy wants to look at it tell him to come by. im not gonna pursue a sell on my baby but if ENOUGH money was offered I might pull the trigger. Especially since for 85k I think I could replace mine pretty easily. but anyway never heard anything about it.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Petebell68

I mentioned to my wife should I sell it once and pay bills or whatever ? Her answer was if you sell your car you probably
Won't buy another and wish you never did no matter the money .
There's only one other car I want and it's not in my range - took me a long time to get this charger .

tan top

ever since I first got my charger in april 89  had people coming up to me wanting to know if its for sale or will you sell it , how much do you want ,   , in the early years ,girl friends at the time came out with comments along the lines of !  , its  old &   smelly & noisy ,  your always working on it ,you don't use it everyday  .... then as the prices started to climb & the advent internet & ebays insane prices ,girlfriends, who knew about the charger ,  changed their reasoning f why I should sell  ! from   its  old smelly noisy ,  to , look how much these are selling for , why don't  you sell it , look how much their are worth , look what else you could buy with the money , or  spend it on etc , or why do you want to keep it , why ? ...   not always as direct as that , but you get the idea   , also  my dad & family members are sometimes  starting to say ,why don't ya sell the charger ... but theirs is not money motivated why they are trying to convince  me it would be a good idea to sell    
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Geez, does that ever sound like a wife I used to have.

wingcar

Everything has a price.....when that dollar amount is offered, you will sell......you may have sellers remorse for a while, but that's life.  Sooner or later we all have to pass along what we own.........after all we are just caretakers....you can't take it with you, so enjoy your Charger while you can
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

I only partially agree.  We are all caretakers without question but I'm not so sure everything is for sale.  I worked for a guy once who religiously believed that everything AND everyone was for sale.  His attitude may have jaded me on the statement.

Challenger340

Quote from: wingcar on September 12, 2017, 08:07:31 AM
Everything has a price.....when that dollar amount is offered, you will sell......you may have sellers remorse for a while, but that's life.  Sooner or later we all have to pass along what we own.........after all we are just caretakers....you can't take it with you, so enjoy your Charger while you can

For a Car guy's mindset that will probably always have something in the way of old Car ?  that's what I used to think... "Everything has a Price"
But now I'm just not so sure anymore ?    

What I mean is this, if you can't replace it or get a better one for the Selling Price, even the stupid price.... what's the point in Selling ?  (Unless you are getting OUT of Cars)

Without starting another hated WIW thread, and, as I have told a very few insistent potential Buyer's to do when being pressed on my "stupid" price....

Find me another example as a price comparable to "substantiate" why I should accept your lesser Offer

I believe that's the fairest response to any further "negotiation" when pressed ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ws23rt

I too used to think of everything as being "for sale". That thought comes from assuming that everyone will say "uncle" when a price offered reaches some silly point.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say --almost everyone can be coerced or bribed to part with something they have that is not for sale. :nana:

I like to keep stuff simple.  When playing with the -meaning- of words to make a point happen--- there is no end to disagreement.

Example--I really like my 69 Coronet.  I am not offering it "for sale".  To me, that means it is NOT for sale.  However, that does not mean it is NOT for buying. :icon_smile_wink:

Kern Dog

Women that try to push their man to sell a car need a kick to the crotch.
* EXCEPT when the man spends all his money on the car when bills go unpaid, kids go hungry or the Wife is extremely sexy.

BDF

I couldn't ever sell mine. It has been part of the family since day one, is the 1st car I ever drove  :icon_smile_big:,and will be handed off to the 3rd generation.
After I'd been care-taking the car for about 10 years I "let" my dad drive it again (he lifted before it shifted to 2nd) and afterwards told me to "never sell this car!"   :2thumbs:

6pkrtse

Quote from: BDF on September 12, 2017, 10:14:14 PM
I couldn't ever sell mine. It has been part of the family since day one, is the 1st car I ever drove  :icon_smile_big:,and will be handed off to the 3rd generation.
After I'd been care-taking the car for about 10 years I "let" my dad drive it again (he lifted before it shifted to 2nd) and afterwards told me to "never sell this car!"   :2thumbs:

To me, that is what these cars are all about. The Family heritage that is no lost with today's cars. Remember the days when everyone like neighbors or relatives bought or brought a new model home from work & the whole neighborhood had to come out to check it out. These days my whole block is full of Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Hyundai crap cars & trucks.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

JR

I noticed something related to this.

I repainted my 70 in 2005, and again in 2015. Both times before the respray, the paint was 10 years old, and starting to look tired.

When it looked sort of beat, with dings and chipped paint is when I got all the offers to buy it. But immediately following reassembly, the offers stopped. I haven't had one person make a serious offer since I resprayed it in September of 2015. Not one.

But  Between 2014-15, I must have had ten different offers. It had a dented rocker panel, and scratches and chips on every panel back then.

I don't know why that is. I assume people think it would be too expensive to buy the car with new shiny paint so they don't even bother?

Not that I would ever sell it anyway, it's just an observation.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: JR on September 13, 2017, 08:35:52 AM
I noticed something related to this.

I repainted my 70 in 2005, and again in 2015. Both times before the respray, the paint was 10 years old, and starting to look tired.

When it looked sort of beat, with dings and chipped paint is when I got all the offers to buy it. But immediately following reassembly, the offers stopped. I haven't had one person make a serious offer since I resprayed it in September of 2015. Not one.

But  Between 2014-15, I must have had ten different offers. It had a dented rocker panel, and scratches and chips on every panel back then.

I don't know why that is. I assume people think it would be too expensive to buy the car with new shiny paint so they don't even bother?

Not that I would ever sell it anyway, it's just an observation.

I think that they are expecting to get it at a much cheaper price and then be able to do the work themselves cheaply.  Neither one of their thoughts are really correct....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

JR

That makes sense Chad.

They're probably the same guys posting the "Cheap 69 Charger wanted" ads on Craigslist.

Its just funny how on/off the offers have been depending on how shiny the paint is. I'd bet if I plastidipped it flat black tomorrow the offers would start right back up.  :icon_smile_big:

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green