News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Dash Resto Using Bare Metal Foil

Started by dkn1997, November 24, 2006, 09:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I have been wanting my dash to look better for the entire 10 years I have had the car.  I am just too cheap to send it off the one of the vendors to have it redone.  I know they do a perfect job, but my car is a driver.  However, I wanted the best looking job possible and I also wanted to do a little better than just using a mettalic sharpie or a silver paint stick.  In another thread, Bill440RT and JIMSHINE turned me onto this bare metal foil stuff. 

Here are some pics I took. I am not totally done yet, but It's getting there:

The supplies, Bare metal foil, cleaner to degrease the dash, krylon semiflat black (recommended by my local hobby shop, he said it would not fill the crevices in and he was right)  Not shown, but I used 2 exacto knives, mineral spirits to degrease the bezel before painting.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

This will be a total freshening, including replacing the entire lense with a better one I have, and refacing the gauges.  starting with the bezel.  check out the backside, I am pretty lucky that most of the switches, etc.. are pretty good.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Here you can see that I have the entire thing lettered with a white paint stick and I still have to "chrome" around all of the square bezels on the left side of the cluster and all of the small gauges. 

RECHRGED

dkn1997

By the way, I have previousely practiced on a spare bezel and I found out a couple of interesting things:

1.  Using a silver metallic sharpie marker is just as good as a silver paint stick.  much easier to use is you go that route and there's nothing wrong with that at all.  I will admit that the bare metal foil is not easy to use, but the results are pretty damn good.

2.  One of the reasons I never did get my practice piece to look good was the "relief" on the raised letters.  I always made a mess and never could successfully use the white without it looking like a two year old did it.  Today, working on my original, untouched bezel, the letters were much more defined.  I used the exacto knife to really define the letters.  The hardest ones are the 4 places that say "off"  they are small and the "F" will give you a problem if there is any paint build up on it. scape all areas out with knife before using the mineral spirits and painting.

3. this krylon semiflat black did a nice job of covering while not so thick as to fill in the ribs or around the letters.

bare metal foil:      $15
Krylon paint:         $  5
exacto knives:       $  6
cleaner:               $   7
mineral spirits:        $  3
RECHRGED

kamkuda

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

DC_1

rt green

when i did mine, i went to the motorcycle shop and bought a can of PJ1 satin black engine case paint. the finish is the best i've ever seen. also, being a high heat resistance paint, its a lot tougher finish than normal krylon. that PJ1 company also makes a vynal dye paint in black for cycle seats, and has the same nice finish. not the glossey shine that makes the seats look cheap and painted.         bruce
third string oil changer

dkn1997

Quote from: Sydmoe on November 25, 2006, 07:28:53 AM
where do you get the foil?

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal/bare-metal_foil.html

I am not done yet, but one sheet should do it.  the turn signal bezels will be the hardest, so small.  I may have to use the silver sharpie on them.  I tried once already, and it did not work well. 

silver: thanks for the compliment.  but make no mistake, it's not as good as what you would get from performance car graphics or cv vacuum platers, but it's a little better than just using paint.  If looking close at it, you can tell it's not chrome.  So I guess have the worlds first 1/1 dash. at 1 mph or1 foot away, it looks mint!!

On the paint, I don't know how durable it needs to be.  For my car, which sits in a nice shady garage when not being driven, I don't see it taking that much of a beating.  The bare metal foil might give up the ghost before the paint does.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dkn1997

Finished the main bezel, I could not get the foil to work on the turnsignal bezels or the smaller gauge bezels.  I used a silver sharpie on those.  I don't think it really takes that much away.  I find my attention drawn to the larger gauge pods and the border anyway.

RECHRGED

bill440rt

dkn1997,
Glad to hear the bare metal foil worked out for you, dash looks great!  :2thumbs: :cheers:

If it makes you feel any better, my dash has been done with this stuff since the late-80's, about 20 yrs. STILL looks good after all these years, it may only have slightly yellowed some. My '68 sees show duty & cruise-night outings, so I am very pleased the way it held up so good. The dash bezels were probably painted with Krylon as well. It's been so long I don't remember. But, that too still looks like the day I painted it.

Keep going. The radio & glove box bezels are a breeze compared to that gauge bezel!!!  :icon_smile_big:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Looks good.  I wonder how many people just wallking by and glancing inside would ever notice it isn't a regular replate?

BigBlockSam

wow, that looks great. i've been thinking of doing my own dash. you just made up my mind for me . thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dkn1997

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2006, 11:14:02 AM
Looks good.  I wonder how many people just wallking by and glancing inside would ever notice it isn't a regular replate?

I bet some will.  from a distance all you would see is the shine. this stuff picks up the light very well.  I am not a very coordinated person.  I have always been good at fixing everything under the sun, but I cannot draw a straight line or anywhere near a perfect circle.  I cannot do any kind of art work very well at all.  with that said, I bet that someone with good hand/eye coordination could get this stuff to look perfect and probably do around the small bezels and turn signal lenses. 

I will tell anyone this.  if you want a more than presentable job, you can use a silver metallic sharpie.  You almost cannot F that up.  the only hard part then would be using the white paint stick around the letters, but If I can do it, anyone can.  No it does not look like chrome, but looks better than "what's left of the chrome" like most of start out with. 
RECHRGED

JimShine

That looks great! I wanted to do it myself, but never found the time.

2fast4u

looks like it was done professionally to me!  :2thumbs:

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

dkn1997

got my decals from performancecar graphics tonight and went right to work.  took me about an hour sitting at kitchen table with frequent interruptions to give the kiddies juice, cheerios, putting various cartoon dvd's in, etc..

I did not know you have to take them out of the cluster to do them.  directions say to sand/paint old faces if they are rusted.  well, since I have never seen an original in my life that's not rusted, they would have to come out.  very easy work with the right size deep socket.

here is the beginning:
RECHRGED

dkn1997

mr anal marking my gauges with a label maker so i don't get them mixed up after i sand and paint all of the faces black
RECHRGED

dkn1997

one down.....
RECHRGED

dkn1997

mock up...no lense in, and I did not even have to do the clock, it was mint, as most are.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

here is before and after to show you what well under 100 bucks and some hard work can get you...
RECHRGED

FastbackJon

Very nice. I have had many '66/'67 dashes in and out but have never taken the '68's dash out.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

BigBlockSam

that looks great  :2thumbs:
that will brighten up your dash . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722