News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Burnt Wiring - Shorted alternator

Started by hookem78613, November 28, 2006, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookem78613

I replaced my alternator a few days ago and it took a dump while I was driving the other day.  I knew because I could smell the burnt wiring.  I was able to trace it down to a few things. 1st. the alternator went bad and was shorted to ground.  The second was that my wiring it very brittle and has been patched many times by idiots!  I think it also burnt a fusible link?

I was able to cut out alot of the bad spot and splice it back together as a temporary fix.  I need some help correcting past mistakes.

First...is there a fusible link from the Bulkhead connector down to the top post on the starter relay?  That is toast but I don't know if it's a fusible link or a straight wire that was burnt.  If it is do you know what guage I should replace it with?

I have a single field alternator with an aftermarket regulator.   Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it?

Last question.  The post with the two wires connected should be the positive output going back to the battery and all accessories. The other connector (single wire, female plug) is the field plug and goes the the regulator??
68 Charger R/T - 440 Stoker /727<br
72 Barracuda - 440 / 727
71 Nova