News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Booster question

Started by reghoule, November 28, 2006, 09:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reghoule

Hi everybody

I just bought a brake booster for my 69 Charger from a junkyard. The problem is that the junk Charger has a 4 drumks brakes set, and mine is front disc. Since the booster is not the same model, will it fit??

thanks for your help! ;)

Chatt69chgr

If you look at rockauto.com, you will find that they list different boosters for disc and drum.  The disc booster is a Cardone P/N 5473603.  The drum booster is a Cardone P/N 5473501.  The first one is a Bendix dual diaphram unit.  I think the second is a Midland Ross.  Don't know if it is dual diaphram or not.  They are pretty inexpensive.  Since your life depends on your brakes, you might want to consider buying a rebuilt unit. 

reghoule

Thanks Chatt for the links, I'll check it out ;) Don't worry, I was planning to rebuild the booster but since I'm not sure if I get the right one, I prefer to ask  before :icon_smile_big:

histoy

Check out the new one that was listed on eBay yesterday. Item #250055595334

Chatt69chgr

The unit listed on ebay may work OK but it doesn't look like the Bendix dual diaphram unit ( which is what I think 69 RT Chargers with disks on front and drums on back with power booster were supplied with).  And it's finished with gold cad.  Not correct.  69 Bendix disc booster and master, including the master cover, as well as the firewall stiffener plate were a gloss (possibly reduced gloss) black.

Other boosters and master cylinders were used depending on the engine size and whether the car had drum brakes all around.  I think there was a Midland Ross unit as well as a Bendix unit for these.  And some were single diaphram.  I have no idea what the finish on these boosters was or whether the masters were painted or bare cast iron.  Seems like some of the master covers with these were golden cad finished.