News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN decal on door concerning Daytonas

Started by hemi68charger, December 10, 2006, 10:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 15, 2006, 11:30:24 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 15, 2006, 10:15:16 AM
Geno,
Which way was the decal oriented?

The handiest pic I had of a VIN decal is actually from DodgeDon's website.  The Daytona decals were oriented the same and positioned about the same as any '70 Charger's decal would be - that is, readable from inside the car.

:2thumbs: 

I was thinking that as well.......... 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

So now the question is, does it depend on the scheduled build date? Or rather on the shipment date?

Did the car that Larry Bell owned have the VIN sticker on it? I'll have to call him and ask him. But then again it had been painted purple by the time he owned it.

hemi68charger

The problem with this dilemma is 36 years have past... Too many cars with too many change of hands and paint jobs.. It'll be hard to determine for sure, without some sort of Chrysler documentation, the validity of this... Too bad it wasn't a prerequisite to take pictures of doors back in the '70S...  ;D

Guess we're at the mercy of those cars that haven't been restored, or if have, been restored back to it's original condition based on it's "survivorship"....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2006, 09:49:37 AM
The problem with this dilemma is 36 years have past... Too many cars with too many change of hands and paint jobs.. It'll be hard to determine for sure, without some sort of Chrysler documentation, the validity of this... Too bad it wasn't a prerequisite to take pictures of doors back in the '70S...  ;D

Guess we're at the mercy of those cars that haven't been restored, or if have, been restored back to it's original condition based on it's "survivorship"....

Troy

Very true statements, Troy.  I still find it interesting to see what information can be scrounged up, as I don't think that the documentation still out there from Chrysler will ever answer all our questions.

Oh- and I just watched the last of the videos of the C.Sauer car restoration - and of course I told you the wrong thing on the VIN sticker orientation.  This last tape shows a closeup of the car's door and it has the sticker readable from outside.  Sorry for the mixup there, Troy.

Even though that Daytona had an SPD of 4/27, the VIN sticker showed a manufacture date of "9/69", and the VIN typing had a gap between "XX29L9B" and the sequence number.  I do wonder if the "manufacture" date gives us a clue that the stickers were installed at Creative Industries based on a projected delivery date to the dealerships...  Nothing firm to go on, that's for sure - just more questions at the moment.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on December 16, 2006, 07:17:22 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2006, 09:49:37 AM

Troy

Very true statements, Troy.  I still find it interesting to see what information can be scrounged up, as I don't think that the documentation still out there from Chrysler will ever answer all our questions.

Oh- and I just watched the last of the videos of the C.Sauer car restoration - and of course I told you the wrong thing on the VIN sticker orientation.  This last tape shows a closeup of the car's door and it has the sticker readable from outside.  Sorry for the mixup there, Troy.

Even though that Daytona had an SPD of 4/27, the VIN sticker showed a manufacture date of "9/69", and the VIN typing had a gap between "XX29L9B" and the sequence number.  I do wonder if the "manufacture" date gives us a clue that the stickers were installed at Creative Industries based on a projected delivery date to the dealerships...  Nothing firm to go on, that's for sure - just more questions at the moment.

Geno.
So the orientation is such that it is 180 degrees from the picture of the '70 Charger that's posted here on the thread? Also, what's the month/year lettering like? Is it like the '70 Charger in that the month is completely spelled out and the year complete?

Thanks Geno !!!
Troy

3--Daytona

Hemigeno,,, and every body else:::::::::::::;
Question     -----one,, are you guy's refering to what (__I_) call the Federal Safety Sicker,,or a completly different decal with vin no,,date of birth etc on it?  My red and green car's both had  Fed Sf  decal,,,,,blackcar had none.   Had to put one on it to get it out of Canada. None of the three had anything else on the door.

Question---2---Heard a story yesterday of some co, in Iowa has 15 rear glass for Daytona for sale at $1500.00 each. Suppose to have PPGE sticker on them.  Not Iowa Glass. Has anyone else herd of his story?      3-daytona

69_500

Not sure what the federal saftey sticker your refering to is Jim.
The one they are talking about shows the VIN and date of the car. Typically I thought they showed the productions date of the cars. But I could be wrong on that.

As far as being able to go back in time and get photo's from the 70's? well that is somewhat possible. I know my dad shot a ton of photo's of weird things on these aero cars from back in the 70's. NOt sure if I recall any of the door jams or not, but I know he took photo's of fender tag's and such even back in the early 70's. I'm sure he wasn't the only one either.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 3--Daytona on December 17, 2006, 12:36:23 PM
Hemigeno,,, and every body else:::::::::::::;
Question     -----one,, are you guy's refering to what (__I_) call the Federal Safety Sicker,,or a completly different decal with vin no,,date of birth etc on it?  My red and green car's both had  Fed Sf  decal,,,,,blackcar had none.   Had to put one on it to get it out of Canada. None of the three had anything else on the door.

Question---2---Heard a story yesterday of some co, in Iowa has 15 rear glass for Daytona for sale at $1500.00 each. Suppose to have PPGE sticker on them.  Not Iowa Glass. Has anyone else herd of his story?      3-daytona

There he is !!!!! Was getting ready to email you Jim about yout green one....... We're talking about the VIN decal that's on the driver's door with the "date of birth" on it, typically the month and year.......

Hope you're doing well.... I'm getting ready for Christmas with the family and Julie, my 6 month old......

Cheers,
Troy
Troy

3--Daytona

Troy----69--500;;;;;;;  We are talking about the same decal, without doubt. But,,,I'm not sure that Federal Safety sticker is not a better name for it than vin decal.  If you read the decal( This vechile conforms to all U,S, and Federal Safety Standards in effect on date of Mfg,.)
In my opinion,,,,that decal was put on, not as a vin tag, but as confirmation to the Fed's that Creative Ind,, had not added some unsafe part to the car AFTER it had left the plant.
I got my interpitation of that decal,,,when I called the chief of Border Patrol, to inquire about geeting the black car out of Canada. His exact words---' if that car does not have Federal Safety stecker on it, you will never get it out of Canada,"  That's first thing they looked for .
                                 good nite               3==daytona

Ghoste

That makes sense.  Especially if it was going to become a law across the board for 1970 models anyway.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 3--Daytona on December 18, 2006, 02:13:47 AM
Troy----69--500;;;;;;;  We are talking about the same decal, without doubt. But,,,I'm not sure that Federal Safety sticker is not a better name for it than vin decal.  If you read the decal( This vechile conforms to all U,S, and Federal Safety Standards in effect on date of Mfg,.)
In my opinion,,,,that decal was put on, not as a vin tag, but as confirmation to the Fed's that Creative Ind,, had not added some unsafe part to the car AFTER it had left the plant.
I got my interpitation of that decal,,,when I called the chief of Border Patrol, to inquire about geeting the black car out of Canada. His exact words---' if that car does not have Federal Safety stecker on it, you will never get it out of Canada,"  That's first thing they looked for .
                                 good nite               3==daytona

Ahhhh, I see said the young Mopar-ite to his Master..... :bow:    :icon_smile_big:

Thanks Jim.....
Troy

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 17, 2006, 08:49:29 AM
So the orientation is such that it is 180 degrees from the picture of the '70 Charger that's posted here on the thread?

Yes, that's it.  Again, sorry I got the info screweed up earlier...   :smash:

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 17, 2006, 08:49:29 AM
Also, what's the month/year lettering like? Is it like the '70 Charger in that the month is completely spelled out and the year complete?

The date was shown numerically in M/YY format:

9/69

Jim is right about the description of that sticker.  It does have verbage right below the date that says something to the effect of:

"THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE U.S. FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE
SAFETY STANDARDS IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF MANUFACTURE SHOWN ABOVE"

I guess we always look at that sticker to check for VIN information, whereas the Canadian Border Patrol guys (and the US DOT too, back then!) are more interested in the "safety standards" implication.  I remember Jim telling the story about having to put a repro sticker on the door, and smear dirt/grime all over it to make it look original...   :icon_smile_big:   :thumbs:  Guess it worked!

To me, it seems unlikely that they added the sticker for the sole reason that Creative had modified the vehicles.  Chrysler was very careful to engineer and/or approve every modification made to the cars, and they made both a Chrysler and Creative representative sign off on each modified vehicle.  It could be that's the case, but why didn't they require the stickers for '69 Charger 500's then? 

I think we're back to when the cars debuted at the dealerships - right at the time the 1970 model year cars came out.  In fact, Ford was arguing to ACCUS/Nascar that the Daytona was a 1970 model (and therefore subject to the same production rules as the Superbird), but that argument was shot down.  It was a gray area though, and Chrysler almost certainly erred on the side of caution and slapped the stickers on "just in case".

nascarxx29

Theres another type of grey silver decal on the drivers side above the door jamb switch.But doesnt have a vin
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

I would say that the 500's don't have the sticker because they aren't a mid year production car. Where as the Daytona's and A12 cars were. The 500's were all at Creative by the end of 68, some had already made it to the street by the first of January of 1969. Where as the Daytona's weren't on the street until late in 69 when the 70 models were either out, or just about to come out.

Just my thoughts.

nascarxx29

I guess it one of those mopar mysterys for rhyme and reason for the vin door decals.69.I found this picture for you 69 500 where the seat buttons were omitted on my orig daytona just on one side.Another mopar mystery :yesnod:

hemi68charger

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 19, 2006, 12:31:58 AM
I guess it one of those mopar mysterys for rhyme and reason for the vin door decals.69.I found this picture for you 69 500 where the seat buttons were omitted on my orig daytona just on one side.Another mopar mystery :yesnod:

That was just plain lazy quality control.......  :eyes:
Troy

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 18, 2006, 03:01:26 PM
Theres another type of grey silver decal on the drivers side above the door jamb switch.But doesnt have a vin
Its the safety standards decal...ECS sells them
http://www.ecsautomotive.com/oscmax/product_info.php?products_id=50]

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Hey who let the picture of an R/T in this thread? JK

hemigeno

I happened to be digging through some pic files, and I came across a pic of Elmer D.'s sticker that was posted in his eBay ad a while back.  This should answer a lot of the format and orientation questions.  Wish I had found this picture earlier!

nascarxx29

Thanks Hemi Geno for the 69 daytona decal picture.For some reason in 1970 they changed the font size and the the letter zero had a line in it.Also 70 started the steering colum lock/shift interlock,Maybe the revised decal fonts were a added measure of security.Like the column/interlock also the vin decal voids if its being removed.This is off subject but I had to ask Hemi Geno now that you found all the owners history on your daytona and the motor was changed under warranty.Have you ever heard or seen a piece of documentation that accompied the warranty engine.I seen a 69 super bee from my area and had also had a warranty motor replacement .And in the cars paperwwork it had this document I seen.That went into detail about the motor being changed and dealers name and date was on it.if I run into the guy with the car I will try to get a copy

hemigeno

I haven't personally seen warranty documentation like that, but I have heard of similar things before.  I had asked the 2nd owner of my car when I first talked to him  a couple of years ago to dig around and see if he had any paperwork.  I was hoping that he had dealer or Chrysler warranty paperwork like what you mentioned, but he didn't remember keeping anything.  I also contacted the dealership that did the warranty work, which is still in business, but they sorta snickered when I asked about some service work done in the fall of 1973...   :rotz:  "You want whuuuuttt??"

There is also normally a small blue tag rivited to the block denoting a warranty engine.  My replacement block didn't have the tag, and even having it is not concrete evidence of a warranty replacement, since the tags themselves occasionally pop up on eBay.  Almost bought one, but decided not to.  I have a totally different (and date-correct) engine block to put back in the car now, although I intend to keep the '73 block due to its connection with the car.

Dave, If you ever get the chance to copy that documentation, it would be a neat thing to see.

69_500

Off topic I know, but did Elmer keep his car, or did someone actually purchase it off of him? I thought he would always own that car. If you've had it since 69 why not keep it until your no longer with us on earth? Thats just my thoughts on the subject.