News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear window removal on 1968 Rt Charger!!!!

Started by gpnavar, August 31, 2005, 11:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpnavar

I have the trim off now and have the moulding off of the inside of the car but I need some information on the quickest and best way to remove this rear window. I apprecaite any input that you could give me. Thank You Gary

41husk

I watched them do mine.  There is a tool used to remove the putty then it pulls out,  A glass shop will do it pretty reasonable.  I bet this gets moved to tech! :yesnod: 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

8WHEELER

They also use strong thin wire like piano wire, and run it around the hole window to
break the seal between the glass and the puddy. Less likely to break the window than
just trying to push it out.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Troy

I used a heat gun and a thin scraper/putty knife from the inside. Once you get all the sealant broken loose you can just push it out to a buddy. I wanted to use one of the wire tools but with the sail panels on a Charger it is difficult.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

dodgecharger-fan

I used one of these:

$15 at www.handsontools.com, but I imagine it can be found for less.

A little heat to soften up the sealer in the channel and the blade goes right in.
I found that if I then turned it so the blade hooked under the glass, I could pull the blade all the way through the length of the window.
That also kept the handle from dragging against the glass as it was stick up perpendicular to the glass.
I stopped near the corners and heated up another spot on the next side. Then I went back and took care of what was still stuck in the corners.

Drop Top

Thats the tool I use all the time. It works very well and you don't need another person or worry about the wire breaking. I keep a few extra blades on hand also. But then I probably use it more then most of you guys.

gpnavar

Hey I want to thank all of you guys for your help I have the rear window out now and you all help make it so much easier. I'm going to order one of those tools immediately. Thanks again I really appreciate all of your help. Gary