News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger Value

Started by ViperDave, December 18, 2006, 12:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViperDave

I've been following the forum for awhile and have found an interesting car so I thought I'd come out of hiding and get some help.  The car is a 1968 w/ 52k miles.  Red with white top and red interior.  318 engine, inside and out in great shape.

Now the big question.  What is she worth?  Thanks for the help...

Brock Samson

nice color much in demand, some pretty rare trim options like the rocker stainless and pass mirror,.. might be more inside, but pics and numbers will be needed.
off the top at least $ 20 maybe as high as 30... imo..
looks great shame to clone her if she's a real low milage orig in as good as shape as she seems to be in...
more pics inside the car and underneath please if possible and of course...  WELCOME!!  VIPER DAVE!!    :wave:

good find!

greenpigs

I think 20K is a good price for a 318 car and the low miles may bring a higher price possibly 25K. Prices are crazy for the 2nd gens and its a crap shoot on what you may actually sell the car for.

Nice Charger BTW!!
;)
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Brock Samson

looks like modmidget's car BTW:

NYCMille

I'd say min of 18k MAX of 22... it's nice, but it is still a 318 car.

41husk

I would be surprised if it got 25K, I am afraid for 25k I would sell my 68 with a 383 4b, and then begin kicking myself for the rest of my life :icon_smile_dead: 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

HITMAN 149

i agree w/ NYC mike...still only a 318.... nice survivor shape though.... but still only a 318?!?!?!
also agree w/ brock...if it's all original.... and in that shape, i wouldn't clone her or mess w/ her either!!!!
not that there's an overabundance of them out there....but still plenty out there to resto/clone!!!
just my  :Twocents:
:angel:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

tan top

i think  18 - 20 K  ,  i dont think much more :scratchchin:   a nice looking original charger :yesnod: , if i owned that i would keep it as is . just my  :Twocents:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

tell me where it is and ill let yiu know what i get it bought for!! :icon_smile_evil: :icon_smile_evil: :icon_smile_evil: :icon_smile_evil: :icon_smile_evil:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69charger2002

i would say 20-22k. 318 cars are not hemi cars, but let's make no mistake. a solid original 68-70 charger in any shape with that kind of mileage is going to command a good price.
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

ViperDave

Thanks for the help guys.  It is in line with th $15-20k I think I get it for.  I'm trying to get interior pictures and VIN # now.  I'll post these and see if you can help me decipher a little more.  Thanks again.

hemi68charger

Wow Dave..

That's a great color combination....... If you get it, do everything you can to save that interior, red interior is hard to find...

Good luck on the potential new Charger........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

HITMAN 149

upon further review.....please take off those god awful mud flaps!!!! if you get her!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Charger1973

Quote from: hobobum149 on December 18, 2006, 07:14:52 PM
upon further review.....please take off those god awful mud flaps!!!! if you get her!!!

They look bad, I agree, but I bet they played a part in keeping those quarters and lower fenders nice :yesnod:

HITMAN 149

good point 73" but stillllllllllllllllllll
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

Brock Samson

i was thinkin like this:
  So say you wanted an r/t in those colors,  red with a red int. white top and white or black bumble bee or even stripe delete, o.k? so you figgure.. buy this solid one at a 15-20 K price spend another $ 5-10-15 (15 for a hemi)  on a drivetrain to replacate a R/T.
volia a sweet clone...  easy,.. well alot easyier then rebuilding a HALPAG piece 'o Crap.
I'd buy it for 15 and do that.. if i was starting out and i had a 20-30 budget and didn't mind a clone..

whitehatspecial

:shruggy:  Some guys kill me. They tell this guy this mint 68 (yes it's a 318) is worth 18-22k, but if a "restorer" grabs it up, throws a hemi in it , and then asks for 50k+.... then it's worth the big bucks, right?  IMO this car is the real deal and should be worth more just the way it is, an original survivor, than some of the fake (clone) crap, people are sucking up these days. That's what stinks with the mopar car hobby today. Just mho.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

41husk

I agree if it came with a 318 and is a survivor I would leave it alone, but if someone who wants to clone it to a hemi RT puts up the 15-20 K to buy it , it is now his car and he can do as he pleases.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

1BAD68

I agree, this car shouldn't be cloned into an R/T. It looks really nice the way it is. You could always just put R/T badges, bumble stripe on it and leave the mechanicals alone.
I have a 318 in mine and love it, I get great mileage and still sqwauk tires whenever.
Although this car doesn't look like a true survivor (looks like its been restored) it still shouldn't be modified.

Brock Samson

more info is needed...
but it's good to see.
im not sure i like the stainless on chargers myself they attact too much atttention imo.

Charger1973

That car has like a 5 foot antenna, reminds me of an old Ford Galaxie I used to have.

ViperDave

Still waiting on VIN but got some interior pix:

Thanks again for the feedback.

PocketThunder

I'll agree that its worth alot more than $15,000.  And i would vote to keep it original and not clone it mechanically.  Anyone can buy a project car and make a R/T clone, but to buy this car and clone it out would not be something i would do. :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

greenpigs

The odometer looks a little uneven..you sure it has 52K original miles?

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

69-DodgeCharger

damn i know of a 69 charger with a 318 that runs and is in ok condition that im gonna get for 3500 to 4000, it has 40K miles or some odd number in there, cant wait ill need to throw some pics up when i get it

41husk

Quote from: 69-DodgeCharger on December 20, 2006, 07:30:37 AM
damn i know of a 69 charger with a 318 that runs and is in ok condition that im gonna get for 3500 to 4000, it has 40K miles or some odd number in there, cant wait ill need to throw some pics up when i get it
Me too.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Bevs 68

Looks like paint code 331, unlike mine it has a red interior. Interesting. I just turned down $40K, however my car does have a bigger engine and a Hurst 4-speed. IMO, keep it original. You can't go wrong in the long run. Nice car. Enjoy it.
Bev

Proud to be a Mopar Momma!

bookedbydano

This is how I look at it.  If you are going to show the car and not drive very often I would leave it original.  If you are going to drive it and enjoy it I would do anything you want to do.  These cars are not all about how original it is and how much it is worth for some people anyway.  Do what you want with it.  It is your car and make it a part of you.  There are a lot of clones that are way nicer than a complete original and are mechanically a whole lot better and reliable.  Good luck!!!!

charge-it

I bought my 68 318 Charger a little over a year ago. I paid 9,500.00 for it and some people said I paid too much.  Fast foward a year later. I haven`t done a thing to it yet and I`ve been offered 15K cash as it sits. Now I`m reading this and seeing 18-22K would be a good deal for a 318 car. Well, mine is not for sale at any price. I`m going to take a real nice 318 car and build a bullitt clown car. Yes, another R/T clown. It`s my car and I`m going to do whatever I want to it and don`t care what anyone thinks. The Majority of the real R/T`s I looked at when I was searching for a 68 or 70 Charger were either way to rusted, had the life beaten out of them, or were way too expensive. In all of my years in this hobby, the 318 cars seem to have lead the best life. So now I have a Charger that I`m going to build my way and then beat the living daylights out of it if I feel like it. Why? Because I can. I say buy the car, enjoy it, and do whatever you feel like doing to it. Life is short, so enjoy it to the fullest.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

bookedbydano

41husk

Quote from: charge-it on December 22, 2006, 10:28:39 AM
I bought my 68 318 Charger a little over a year ago. I paid 9,500.00 for it and some people said I paid too much.  Fast foward a year later. I haven`t done a thing to it yet and I`ve been offered 15K cash as it sits. Now I`m reading this and seeing 18-22K would be a good deal for a 318 car. Well, mine is not for sale at any price. I`m going to take a real nice 318 car and build a bullitt clown car. Yes, another R/T clown. It`s my car and I`m going to do whatever I want to it and don`t care what anyone thinks. The Majority of the real R/T`s I looked at when I was searching for a 68 or 70 Charger were either way to rusted, had the life beaten out of them, or were way too expensive. In all of my years in this hobby, the 318 cars seem to have lead the best life. So now I have a Charger that I`m going to build my way and then beat the living daylights out of it if I feel like it. Why? Because I can. I say buy the car, enjoy it, and do whatever you feel like doing to it. Life is short, so enjoy it to the fullest.
Good for you!!!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

68charger440R/T

THAT'S MY CAR!!!!!!! I guess i bought it from ViperDave last christmas! I cant belive i came across this, thanks for the car i enjoy it very much.
1 of 33,514

69charger2002

well that's pretty cool. so how far off were we on our guesses. what did she finally sell for?
welcome to the site BTW  :cheers:
Trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

MRCHARGER

As the owner of a formerly green/green/green 68 318, if you do an "R/T replica" correctly you will get just as much respect and satisfaction out of it as the factory R/T owners. You will not get the same dollar amount if you sell it, but if that's what you are into it for than you shouldn't be hanging around this website. The value of a Charger goes far beyond $'s with this crowd.

If I had a factory R/T  in perfect shape I would not be inclined to drive it to the local cruise night's or blast down the track with my 10" Hoosier's on the back. The general public does not understand or appreciate the significance of an L or J code car, they just see the Charger name plate and think "cool". Nobody is interested in a 68 318  Charger unless it is reference quality/perfect survivor or unique like this red/red/white combo. But even still, 2nd gen Chargers  have a strong reputation for performance despite that 1/2 of the 96,000 of them were not big block cars. If you go out on Woodward Avenue in this day and age, which I do, in a 68 Charger, it better have something under the hood and not the same thing in my 98 ram van (5.2 liter). I'm not saying that all of the Chargers in the world should be converted to nasty 383's, 440's, or Hemi's... no.... wait.... that's a great idea. I'm just saying.

With my car I feel like I've made something special out of something mundane. It's your car man build it how you want, just be careful not to mess up something that's already special or significant.

68charger383

I'm like everyone else on here that thinks this car is very cool and shouldn't be touched. However, I'd say $15K for the car. I've seen a lot of pretty nice 383 cars selling for under $20K and quite a few R/Ts selling for under $30K.

The car is just like a 1969 Mach 1 with a 302 or a 1966 chevelle with a 283. These cars usually sell for about 1/2 of the similar big block versions.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Darkman

A car (or even a house for that matter) is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Bob T

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on March 28, 2010, 08:56:39 PM
THAT'S MY CAR!!!!!!! I guess i bought it from ViperDave last christmas! I cant belive i came across this, thanks for the car i enjoy it very much.

Howdy, good old ride it looks like too. Funny enough, mines the same 318, buddy seat RR1 with 78miles on.
I drive it every chance I get and am still happy with the fuel mileage after owning 2 sixpack cars. Sure it could do with a repaint and BB but we get the family fun miles in and thats important to us. Maybe a stripe this winter and see what happens after that.

In dollar terms I paid around 28 US (at 0.707 exchange rate )for it after it had been here for 1 1/2 years but to quantify it, the body is straight and good, it runs fine and is a long distance car and there are not that many 68's down here ( New Zealand ) so when the opportunity came up, I made it fit. The Chap who imported ( nice guy actually too ) it in probably paid around the 15-18 mark US for it ( fair enough, thats what they cost ) and then had to get it road legal here which was around the 5-6k mark. I dont know I've never asked him, thats his business.

So, I would think for my  :Twocents: probaly the above car is around the 15-20k value, buyer demand, hard to get a good one and its easy to spend way more on panel & paint than the differance in purchase price for a clean bodied car

I like em all but prefer the 68's and yeah , not intending to sell it  :coolgleamA:

Cheers Bob
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

modmidget

That car does look a lot like mine.  It appears to be the same color but I have Magnum 500 wheels on mine and we have a white interior.

I'd guess the value of yours (and mine) would be somewhere between 18k and 22k but I restored mine myself and wouldn't take 50k for it.  I will never sell it.

375instroke

Quote from: Darkman on March 29, 2010, 01:59:17 AM
A car (or even a house for that matter) is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it.
This statement, I think, is of no help and way overused.  How about this?  How much are people willing to pay for it?  I think that's what we want to know.

68charger440R/T

Well i paid $14,000 for it and i couldn't be happier, im going put a 440 in it in the near future but i just don't have the $$ right now because im only 17 with no job lol.
1 of 33,514

moparstuart

you need to leave that car original and find a different car to butcher up
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

68charger440R/T

ya i was also thinking about just putting a 4 barrel carb,headers,exhaust and maybe a 3:55 :scratchchin:
1 of 33,514

twodko

Absolutely, positively, most definitely what moparstuart said!!!!!
That is a beautiful, fairly rare car.....buy it, keep it, love it.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

BubBABFP

Quote from: 68charger440R/T on March 29, 2010, 01:49:18 PM
ya i was also thinking about just putting a 4 barrel carb,headers,exhaust and maybe a 3:55 :scratchchin:

You have the same color combo as my 68 it has a 318 too. and im 24 =)

68charger440R/T

Quote from: BubBABFP on March 29, 2010, 02:30:11 PM
Quote from: 68charger440R/T on March 29, 2010, 01:49:18 PM

You have the same color combo as my 68 it has a 318 too. and im 24 =)
nice do you have any pics?
1 of 33,514

Brock Samson

couple things:
This old post was made by ViperDave before the Muscle Car market contracted.
seat covers are not correct 'n maybe coronets...  :shruggy:
sure would like to see the numbers from the fender tag - decoded..
do I see a reverb switch on the dash?..
and, some more detailed pics of the car especially the engine compartment with emphasis on the firewall.
A great deal for a first car at your age and a good price I'd say...
I note the polarization of opinions about to clone or not to clone...
...I'm not gonna have a hard and fast opinion myself, but I acknowledge both trains of thought and their validity.

awaiting pics....  :popcrn:

68charger440R/T

ok im about to go take some more pics of detail.
1 of 33,514

1BAD68

Man thats a nice car for a 17 year old!
When I was 17 I was driving a 1972 Comet that I paid 200 bucks for, I had to wait until I was 32 to get a Charger.
Enjoy
:2thumbs:

694spdRT

I drove a red '68 when I was 17 too. Unfortunately, that was 20 years ago.  :P

BTW: Nice car and I think it looks great just the way it is.  :2thumbs:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

modmidget

I drove a light yellow '68 Charger with a black top and black interior when I was 23.  The year was 1968 and it was my brand new Charger.  I'm only 64 now..........   :shruggy:

68charger440R/T

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 29, 2010, 05:01:09 PM
I drove a red '68 when I was 17 too. Unfortunately, that was 20 years ago.  :P

BTW: Nice car and I think it looks great just the way it is.  :2thumbs:
Thanks man :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

modmidget

Here are a couple of pix of my '68.  I paid $4,000.00 for it, cleaned up the rust, gutted it, got rid of the gold paint, and restored it.  The paint is 2003 Dodge Inferno Red ( code PEL).  I spent about $11,000.00 restoring it and did most of the work myself (except bondo and paint). The engine is a 318 with Edelbrock 4 barrel and Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold.

Brock Samson

pics ain't workin MM,..  :shruggy:

modmidget

Yeah, I know.  I don't know what the hell is wrong.  I've tried everything I can think of.  Can you click on the quote button and see if you can spot anything?  I even did a cut and paste from another web site with no luck......

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: modmidget on March 29, 2010, 06:58:16 PM
Here are a couple of pix of my '68.  I paid $4,000.00 for it, cleaned up the rust, gutted it, got rid of the gold paint, and restored it.  The paint is 2003 Dodge Inferno Red ( code PEL).  I spent about $11,000.00 restoring it and did most of the work myself (except bondo and paint),

:2thumbs:

modmidget

Got it.  The damn img tag is case sensitive.  My link said photos instead of Photos.........  Go figure!

modmidget

Hey Brock,  come up to Woodland on June 13 with your Charger for the Woodland Street Cruisers car show at the Yolo County Fairgrounds.  I'm already entered but it would be fun to hook up with you and put our cars in the show side by side.  We're only 90 miles away.

Brock Samson

shoot me a link.  :2thumbs: how about a pic or two of your pearl white int?..  :drool5:

68charger440R/T

Quote from: modmidget on March 29, 2010, 06:58:16 PM
Here are a couple of pix of my '68.  I paid $4,000.00 for it, cleaned up the rust, gutted it, got rid of the gold paint, and restored it.  The paint is 2003 Dodge Inferno Red ( code PEL).  I spent about $11,000.00 restoring it and did most of the work myself (except bondo and paint). The engine is a 318 with Edelbrock 4 barrel and Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold.

Nice car man!!! i love that color :2thumbs:
1 of 33,514

modmidget

Brock, They don't have a web site this year so here's what I've got:

10th Annual Woodland Hot Rod Reunion & Motorcycle Show  - Sunday June 13.

$20.00 Pre-Registration or $25.00 at the gate.
Unrestricted parking and group parking is welcome (they use to park by class but not any more).
I've entered as Class 5 - Best Muscle Car
All vehicles must be 1972 or older.

They will start parking cars around 7:30 or 8:00 until 10:30.  I think the show ends at 3:00 and in the past the awards are usually done by 3:30.

I usually try to be there at 8:00 (I hate being late for anything), so if you want to come up and meet me before we go into the fairgrounds you would have to leave SF around 6:30.

modmidget

Thanks for the compliments guys.  These pix are 6 years old but the car is garaged and still looks the same.

Brock Samson

ok,.. lettuce dump this info over on the events forum and see if anyone else is interested..  :2thumbs:

edit: done!
back to our regularly scheduled program..  :icon_smile_wink:

375instroke

I remember this car from the same time.  2006.  I think it was a steal for the pricing at the time.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10525.0/all.html

Black Charger

modmidget,

Your car is beautiful, that inferno red looks fantastic on your car!

modmidget

Thank you!!!!

We wanted Candy Apple Red but it would have cost us nearly 3 times as much as the base coat/clear coat Inferno Red.

I found a body & paint guy who had been laid off at a nearby Cadillac dealership and he did the car for $2200.00 including paint.

ram68

I agree 15 to 20k is about right. I have a 318 car and plan on keeping it like that.  I've been to many shows and cruises; Hot August Nights in Reno being one of them. When cruising what counts is having a clean car and nice sounding exhaust. The crowds go more crazy for the exhaust sound than when the hood is open and their looking at an engine.  Anyway most cruises all you're doing is cruising at 20 mph at the most (personal opinion: that is a bit fast), BB's only advantage is being able to drink more gas.  Of course if you're racing etc. then more cubes the better.

Brock Samson

Being 17 and this being a first car the voice of my experiance says it's allot cheaper and smarter just to appreciate it  driving it as is, simply making detail improvements like the correct seat covers or what ever - than swapping in any B.B.   Plenty of room for that down the road if that does become the plan.   :2thumbs:

clanton

Column shift F code. I would say if you had to sell it you would get between 9K - 13K for it.
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

68charger440R/T

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 31, 2010, 10:49:53 AM
  Being 17 and this being a first car the voice of my experiance says it's allot cheaper and smarter just to appreciate it  driving it as is, simply making detail improvements like the correct seat covers or what ever - than swapping in any B.B.   Plenty of room for that down the road if that does become the plan.   :2thumbs:
Thanks Brock, thats some good advise i think thats what i will do, i dont need all that power right now anyways.
O and i haven't forgot about the pics im just waiting to get a new camera ill probably have them up later today.
1 of 33,514

Brock Samson

Do not sell that charger.

68charger440R/T

Trust me im not ever gona sell it!!!
1 of 33,514

rarefish

Quote from: 375instroke on March 30, 2010, 12:57:39 AM
I remember this car from the same time.  2006.  I think it was a steal for the pricing at the time.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,10525.0/all.html
Being the owner of this car I guess I would say it was a deal back then. With the car that I traded and the cash that I had to include, I'm into the car for just under $20K.

DodgeChargerNeeded

That car is worth $20k no question
Jeff