News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 upper door pad emblem oddity

Started by JimShine, December 23, 2006, 10:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds440

My '68 has the red, blue and white emblems.  It has a SPD of 9/18/67.

My interior is all original and mostly unmolested and it doesn't LOOK like the script was ever black.  Looks like it was always silver to me...?  But I suppose with wear and age it could have rubbed off. ???

Just thought I'd add my two cents...  :icon_smile_cool:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

terrible one

Quote from: ds440 on January 01, 2007, 12:54:49 PM
My '68 has the red, blue and white emblems.  It has a SPD of 9/17/67.

My interior is all original and mostly unmolested and it doesn't LOOK like the script was ever black.  Looks like it was always silver to me...?  But I suppose with wear and age it could have rubbed off. ???

Just thought I'd add my two cents...  :icon_smile_cool:

Yeah, that's how mine looked too. I've seen some on Ebay that still had a bit of black on them. I think the fact that the black wears off so much easier, and more completely than the red (or red, white, and blue) is what brings people to believe that it was never there. Hell, I don't know for sure, but I'm still pretty certain the script was black from the factory, and I went ahead and re-painted mine black when I cleaned up my pads.

TylerCharger69

I've seen one...maybe two '68's with the red, white, and blue....but that's about it.   Never seen it on a 69 or 70 though.  I never really thought of it being a major thing until now....Another mystery of Charger history I suppose..Just like the mystery holes in the firewalls.

Doc74

Wait a minute wait a minute...the whole silvery thingy should be black ?? Terrible one can you post a pic or two of your scripts ? I've never seen a black one before, not that I've looked for it since the sliver looked original to me and most others probably.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Doc74 on January 05, 2007, 09:14:41 AM
Wait a minute wait a minute...the whole silvery thingy should be black ?? Terrible one can you post a pic or two of your scripts ? I've never seen a black one before, not that I've looked for it since the sliver looked original to me and most others probably.

just the name charger is in black on the seler disc the red white and blue is in the pot metal outer ring
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Doc74

Quote from: 1hot68 on January 05, 2007, 09:30:07 AM

just the name charger is in black on the seler disc the red white and blue is in the pot metal outer ring

Ah I see, good to know. Thanks

skip68

You guy's made me go look at my car and I have the same red, white and blue emblems. :scratchchin: My trunk lid also has the inner frame. My build date was Sep. 21, 1967.  I thought they were all like this.  :scratchchin:  I wonder if there is something else different as well ?
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

ds440

Were there seperate interior packages for the '68?  I didn't think so, but....?

Also, this might be a stupid question, but does the interior color make a difference?  It doesn't appear that way.  My interior is red, and the other image posted appears to be black.  Just throwing out a few (uneducated) guesses. ???
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

skip68

I guess not because my interior is gold/tan.  :shruggy:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2007, 09:36:54 AM
I guess not because my interior is gold/tan.  :shruggy:

the ones i posted pics of were dyed black were orig tan i dyed them black :scratchchin: :shruggy:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Brock Samson

my late build '69 has the red sections so do the two extras i have

JimShine

I never seen the red white and blue on a '69.

Charger-Bodie

Ghoste

Well it is a thread about the "68"door oddity. ;)   And so far, it seems like it's just the early build ones.

tan top

sent you a PM  (1Hot68 )  :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bull

Mine had a red one on the driver side and a red, white and blue one on the pass side when I bought it, but the pass side pad was shot so I bought another pad off Ebay with a red one. I figured someone was just screwing around and painted the white and blue but I guess it's probably original since mine is an early '68. I don't think I have the time or energy to worry about making it correct though.

charger_mike75

Could this oddity have something to do with where the cars were built?

JimShine

Okay, here is an update. I just received much of the unused portions of the interior from this car. The interior was gold. Lower door panels are all dated August 11, 1967. So this is obviously something that happened very early on and not for long.

I called it an oddity because when it was brought up in the past, it was dismissed as being non-factory. When you start seeing the exact same stuff on many cars done the exact same way, you start questioning. Now we have a thread that answers this question should anyone ask about it in the future.

Charger-Bodie

to add to that i witnessed a very original 68 charger at the all mopar show in west salem wis. last weekend with a build date of 8 28 of 67 and it had all the early prod stuff too !! i m pretty sure weve nailed this deal down.