News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

look what and who i found on ebay

Started by BigBlockSam, December 24, 2006, 11:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Yep, I'm the bad guy. I'm just a big meanie I suppose.

A little background: this board is mostly self-moderated but there are a few people who have a bit more control. They have that control because they have proven that they can be trusted with it (or they own the site like me) and that they make decisions on what suits everyone on the site best. We very rarely ever ban anyone and, for the most part, people keep it civil enough that we don't even have to lock many threads. Banning someone is not an easy decision and not something done on a whim for no reason. Special cases are trolls (people who join solely to cause disruption), spammers, and people trying to scam others. Let me make it perfectly clear that I don't want to lose anyone who is active in the community for any reason - but sometimes what's best for the site isn't what I want. I make many decisions based on the amount of work something/someone causes me and the other Moderators (we do work for free after all). I like things to run smooth and for the members of the site to be happy so they stick around to make the community better. When we get 6-10 complaint emails per day and continuous reported posts by the same person it forces us to take some sort of action. This is usually a warning and a request. I (we) do not enjoy having to babysit full grown adults and I personally hate to apologize for the bad behavior of others. Larry had plenty of warnings and ran through his "second chance" long ago. I would go as far to say he's well past his fifth or sixth chance (I'm very lenient apparently). He was told in very plain language (on multiple occasions) exactly what would happen if we continued to receive complaints. To say I was "outvoted" would be a severe understatement in this case but not something I could ignore. Is it permanent? I can't say yet. I don't particularly like the insinuations in this thread though so I thought I should at least provide our point of view. I'm always open to suggestions but I do NOT appreciate judgement being passed without full knowledge of what went on.

FYI: there's a feature on this site that allows you to read a member's posts. It lists them in reverse order. I suggest checking it out. Link for the lazy:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1105;sa=showPosts (the more rude/profane posts have been removed)

Troy

PS: Rene, the Dayclona guys were not "allowed" to come back. Look at all their different user names. They tried to find any way they could to fool the system. Larry has been kind enough to not stoop to that level which I appreciate.
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BigBlockSam

hey Troy

i've never said you are a bad guy , i know it aint easy to run this place and we all appriciate it. Larry  was being an ass . i agree . we just miss his imput to the Aero section .  he shared alot of info with us and i think he's realized that this board means more to him then he knew .
the Aero section has become a funny little famiily . thats goes out of there way to help each other with or wing car projects and wing car history . we all share the same luv  ,Aero cars . Daytonalo was one of us .  Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Troy

I'll take responsibility though (and I'm ok with being the bad guy sometimes). You'll notice in the link I provided that not all of those posts are in the Aero section. There's 3,200 or so other members on the site (not counting the 20,000 unregistered "guests" who read the site each month) so it pays for everyone to think for a second before posting. My goal is to grow the site and not to become an elitist community (there's already way too many of those). If one person keeps 5 more from registering and runs 5 off then are they an asset or liability? What if the 5 are also excellent resources? How about 20 or even 50? The effect is hard to calculate because it's easier to count new members than it is to count missing members or missed opportunities. I love having great information on the site but sometimes the real cost might be too high.

I already knew you wing car guys were strange... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Well said, and thanks for shedding some light on the topic Troy.

Wasn't aware the individual had already ran through severl chances. We are all just outsiders looking through the big windows, and trying to catch a glimpse of everything that goes on.

As far as the moderators are concerned, I for one think they do an excellent job.

Then again I tend to stick to this section, so I don't get to see what the other mods do other than Gene.

hotrod98

Troy,
Bottom line...while we would like to have Larry (daytonalo) re-instated, we will back you on the decisions that you make 100%. Most everyone here understands the importance of what you are doing for us. I don't envy you when it comes to making the tough decisions necessary to keep this forum moving forward. I'm sure that those decisions are made even tougher when you have to deal with people who are easily offended. I don't understand why people are so easily offended by some anonymous guy in another part of the world (in most cases) saying something negative about something that they own or something that they are doing, etc.. Maybe we should have penalties (kind of like time-out in kindergarten) for people who commit "forum crimes". For instance, I think flagrant posters should be banned for at least a month and have their post count dropped back to zero. I'm serious, those guys drive me crazy.  ;D
Larry Roper
hotrod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

hemigeno

BigBlockSam

QuoteI already knew you wing car guys were strange...

:iagree:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

firefighter3931

Quote from: hemigeno on December 29, 2006, 05:26:51 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 29, 2006, 04:21:33 PM
Well said Troy. :cheers:

:iagree:   :thumbs:

:iagree: 100%  I liked Larry but some of his posts were over the top.  :P  Lewd and crude, i have no time for.....there's a time and place for everything and that kind of behavior has no business on a Car enthusiast website, period ! No one player is bigger than the team and Larry has been benched. Membership here is a privilege, not a right.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hotrod98

I would like to know how many people that are posting on the aero board are actually owners or builders of either real wing cars or clones or for that matter even really interested in wing cars. We sure seem to get a lot of outsiders here throwing in their 2 cents worth lately. The aero board was started to seperate the wing car topics from the other topics. Was kind of nice when we talked about building wing cars and clones and didn't worry about who said what about who. Let's keep it that way. Personally, I think that if you're not actively involved in the aero part of this hobby,that you should find another place to voice your opinion.
I mean come on... you're basically a troll.
Will the real thin-skinned people please stand up...please stand up. If the real world offends you, turn the computer off and sit there in the dark.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Charles Addams

Howie

Thats what moderators are for. I didn`t know he was warned 3 or 4 times. It`s too bad. I miss him posting of his project daytona.  I am ready to get rolling on mine again. More parts to gather. I was already told that I am strange! :boogie:

A383Wing

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 29, 2006, 09:48:02 PM
I would like to know how many people that are posting on the aero board are actually owners or builders of either real wing cars or clones or for that matter even really interested in wing cars.

I gots one...does that count???

Bryan  :drive:

Ghoste

Maybe there should be a secret password based on notarized proof of ownership.  Ooops, dammit, I just busted myself right off the wingcar forum.
I don't have one, I ain't cloning one, I can't afford one currently.  Still like them.  :shruggy: :D

BigBlockSam

QuoteWell said Troy. 

i see all your moderaters are lining up with ya Troy . thats cool , there your boys . I've only met one mod , at the whiskey cafe, he wasn't very friendly . even after i went out of my way to be nice , so f--him . he won't get that respect next time i meet him.
i think if a man comes up to you and tells you, hey i f-ed up and  hasn't tried to sneak on under a differant computor or name  or some thing . maybe he deserves a chance . Rene

BigBlockSam

Quotei  gots one...does that count???

Bryan 

Dam straight Mister, you got one of my fav daytona . Rene

hotrod98

Quote from: A383Wing on December 29, 2006, 10:37:07 PM
I would like to know how many people that are posting on the aero board are actually owners or builders of either real wing cars or clones or for that matter even really interested in wing cars.

I gots one...does that count???

Bryan :drive:

I like all wing cars, especially purple wing cars.

Charles Addams

firefighter3931

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 29, 2006, 10:57:26 PM
i think if a man comes up to you and tells you, hey i f-ed up and  hasn't tried to sneak on under a differant computor or name  or some thing . maybe he deserves a chance . Rene

How many chances does one man need  :eyes: Fwiw, Troy was more than generous and gave Larry every opportunity to clean up his act....SEVERAL times. Hell, i would have punted him long before Troy did ! As for being "Troy's Boys" you can think what you want....i could care less, but any rational adult would have come to the same conclusion.  ;)

As for your encounter with the unnamed Mod, i can't comment because i wasn't there, but having met all of them in person....i find your comments difficult to believe.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hotrod98

I think we all get a little crabby when it gets cold outside. I know these 60 degree days are killing me.  :yesnod:

Charles Addams

dkn1997

I would like to know how many people that are posting on the aero board are actually owners or builders of either real wing cars or clones or for that matter even really interested in wing cars. We sure seem to get a lot of outsiders here throwing in their 2 cents worth lately. The aero board was started to seperate the wing car topics from the other topics. Was kind of nice when we talked about building wing cars and clones and didn't worry about who said what about who. Let's keep it that way. Personally, I think that if you're not actively involved in the aero part of this hobby,that you should find another place to voice your opinion.
Will the real thin-skinned people please stand up...please stand up. If the real world offends you, turn the computer off and sit there in the dark.
Just my 2 cents worth.

maybe I am not understanding you, but are you saying that if you don't own/build a wingcar or clone, then popping in here and posting up once in a while makes someone a troll?  an outsider?  you are right that the aero board was started to seperate the wing car topics from the other topics, But it is still part of the larger Dodge Charger community.  I don't think it was started to be a private club and you have to provide your XX vin number to participate.    You are part of the whole community,and you can't stop the locals from driving by your house once in a while to shoot the breeze with you just because they don't live on your block. 

You post in other forums, but "outsiders" can't post here? Larry went off  outside the Aero section, but nobody but "aero" guys can have an opinion about it? 

Hey, I don't know you, but from your posts I have read, you seem like a good guy, and I hope you respond and tell me that I totally misunderstood what you wrote, maybe I did...it's just that I don't consider anyone an outsider who owns or is into mopars.  and i don't think it was about larry "offending" anyone.  who honestly cares that much about what some almost anonymous (sp) person types on a n internet message board, but what he did distracted from all of the good/cool stuff that gets talked about here.  so that's my 2 cents.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

Quote from: hotrod98 on December 30, 2006, 12:04:55 AM
I think we all get a little crabby when it gets cold outside. I know these 60 degree days are killing me.  :yesnod:

and amen to that!
RECHRGED

hotrod98

You missed the point entirely. Anyone else?

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

QuoteHow many chances does one man need   Fwiw, Troy was more than generous and gave Larry every opportunity to clean up his act.... 
i think a man deserves ass many changes as he needs to get it rite, it'll make him a better man and a better bro on the board .

QuoteAs for being "Troy's Boys" you can think what you want
you are the mods, ya kinda work for him,,and yes us . thank you guys for the great job. i do appreciate it. honestly

QuoteAs for your encounter with the unnamed Mod, 

Ron , i don't know you , but i respect you. i see your knowledge .dam you know your shit an you'll go out of your way to help anyone .  :2thumbs:  i will go out of my way to help too .i don't lie , . the only thing i have is my word, honor . i can only tell you how i felt . he seemed a alot full of himself.

69_500

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with a Mod. Then again it was a one time meeting, not necessarily how the individual would react all the time. I don't know which mod you were talking about, but maybe he was having a bad day.

I don't know.

Just a thought.

I have met Troy, Chris, and Gene all in person, and really enjoyed all the time I've spent with each. Heck I even ate dinner with Troy at about midnight at the Monster Mopar this last year.

BigBlockSam

QuoteThen again it was a one time meeting, not necessarily how the individual would react all the time

your totally rite, everyone has good and bad days , i look forward to meeting the other guys

hemigeno

I would like to know how many people that are posting on the aero board are actually owners or builders of either real wing cars or clones or for that matter even really interested in wing cars. We sure seem to get a lot of outsiders here throwing in their 2 cents worth lately. The aero board was started to seperate the wing car topics from the other topics.

The part about separating Aero-related TOPICS is true - the logical leap you made that the Aero board also separates USERS however is not true. 

Was kind of nice when we talked about building wing cars and clones and didn't worry about who said what about who. Let's keep it that way.

Sure wish that was the case, but unfortunately it never seems to stay that way...   :'(

Personally, I think that if you're not actively involved in the aero part of this hobby,that you should find another place to voice your opinion.

I flatly disagree with this statement.  This is not a club, and it does not require anything much beyond a passing interest in Aero cars to participate.  When we start drawing distinctions like what you outlined, where do you draw the line?  Are owners of XX29 cars any better than those who have built or are building a clone?  Absolutely not.  Are guys with a wing car (original or clone) any better than other Mopar owners?  More weird perhaps, but not better.  :P

The point is, we should not limit the discussion to JUST those people wo are "active" as you say.  There are lots of people who love the cars for what they are, and want to learn more about them.  To stifle their participation because they are not "active" isn't right, IMHO.  We have had several people who do not currently own a wing car, but have owned one in the past.  DC.com member 65post is a great example.  He would be outside "the club" by your definition, but his posts are quite interesting and informative to me.

I find it sad in a way that a thread that is ostensibly about one controversial former member is one of the more poplular threads of the past month.  I really like what you said, hotrod:

Was kind of nice when we talked about building wing cars and clones and didn't worry about who said what about who. Let's keep it that way.