News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Trail Panel Paint...Anyone find a good match "off the shelf"?

Started by Mfr426, December 31, 2006, 08:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hello all, I dont want to wait a week for more of the tail panel paint from Totally Auto. I also am not real happy about spending 7 bucks to ship one can about an hour away.

Anyway, has anyone tried any paints from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc that are a good match? I would bet that these companies have something that matches pretty closely and I can pick them up this weekend.

Thanks all for any thoughts...

Daytona R/T SE

Mike, According to the "Ask the expert" Column in the Winged Warriors newsletter the perfect match for a 69 Daytona is Rustoleum spray can paint #7220 Textured Black.

The article goes on to say   "For your tail light panel, one can will be enough. Shake at least two minutes prior to each coat or the texture will not spray on. This spray paint is HARD to spray on evenly. You must use lots of spray fan. Overlap and do crosshatch strokes. Be sure you don't make wet-or-dry patches with any of the coats. The dry patches are difficult to make wetter on subsequent coats. Apply at least 3 coats. Originally, the paint used was Black Organosol Lacquer. It was applied over the primer, not over the color coat. The Rust-Oleum paint is enamel. It needs to dry well before being touched."

Mfr426

Textured black? I'm pretty sure this is satin with no texture? At least every car that I have seen has been like?

We might not be talking about the same area. This is what mine looked like before I took off the Charger emblem to fill the holes and put in the R/T emblem.

Is this what you are referring to?

bill440rt

Hi Mike,
I simply "created" the texture myself using a dry-spray technique with the spray gun. First, I used PPG's DP black epoxy primer. I sprayed one medium coat for coverage & let it flash. Then, I held the gun about 16"-20" away from the surface, & "dry-sprayed" the primer on. I went coat by coat with a few minutes in between for flash time, until it reached the texture I wanted. I let that dry for about an hour, & then sprayed Plasti-Kote's Semi-Flat black over that. Voila'! Instant "organasol" textured paint, without buying anything special. I had the stuff already sitting on my shelf. Looks fantastic to me. Just 6T9 has seen it in person also, if he wants to vouch for the look.  :popcrn: :D :D
Hope that helps some. Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mfr426

Back up guys? What did I miss. I thought this panel in 69 was flat and NOT textured???? Anyone have a shot of a texture? I dont think I've seen any cars with a textured panel for 69? I thought that was only 68?

Am I having another brain cramp?

Mike

JimShine

They used organosol textured black in '69. Most have been touched up with rattle cans standard satin or flat black paint.

Mfr426

OK..anyone care to share a good shot of the correct finish?

Thanks...

jaak

Whatever any of you guys use.... How well does spray-bomb hold up?  I was under the impression something needed to be mixed (whatever it may be, organisol, flat, satin, so-on) with a hardener and sprayed on with a gun, if rattle cans are durable enough, I might go that route myself.

Jason

bill440rt

Mike,
The '69's had a slight texture to them, like the dashboard frame, etc. Same paint used there, too. The '68's were smooth. I'll try to get some other photos of my tail panel for you, it's sometimes hard to photograph black in my garage. I'll be painting my car very soon, so I'll do my best to get some more shots.

jaak,
I wouldn't use cheap, run-of-the-mill spray paint if that's what you decide to use. I sprayed over the PPG epoxy primer because it doesn't hold up well to UV rays, it may turn chalky. However, it's the best base to spray over, very durable. Plasti-Kote is very good spray paint, one of the best I've tried so far quality-wise. Even some of the hardened epoxy "appliance" spray paints are very good, Rust-oleum makes them. By far the best black I've used is Eastwood's Chassis Black, however it might be too thick to do your tailpanel, you may fill in that texture you worked hard on in your primer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Mfr426 on December 31, 2006, 11:20:32 AM
Textured black? I'm pretty sure this is satin with no texture? At least every car that I have seen has been like?

We might not be talking about the same area. This is what mine looked like before I took off the Charger emblem to fill the holes and put in the R/T emblem.

Is this what you are referring to?

The article specifically says "Tail light panel" on a 1969 Dodge Daytona.  I can't imagine the Daytonas getting the tail light panel painted differently that the "regular" '69  Chargers  This article was written by David Patik from Performance Car graphics if that means anything.

For the four bucks or so that a can of Rustoleum costs, I think I'd do a test spray on a piece of scrap and see what it looks like..."Textured" may mean "Satin" in Rustoleum-ese  :shruggy:

JimShine

We did the correct organosol on Lee1. I don't have a pic. I will have a chance maybe tomorrow. Troy, did you get a good tailpanel shot?

Mfr426

I have some Satin from Rust Oleum??? and did a test today. I think it's too shiny. Actually, I have some SEM trim black and did a test with that and it looks very good.

I would still like to see a  panel on an original car or one done correctly. I thought I researched this last year when I did the work and now it appears that I did my panel incorrectly?

Thanks for the continued help.

Mike

jaak

Quote from: bill440rt on December 31, 2006, 04:46:35 PM
Mike,
The '69's had a slight texture to them, like the dashboard frame, etc. Same paint used there, too. The '68's were smooth. I'll try to get some other photos of my tail panel for you, it's sometimes hard to photograph black in my garage. I'll be painting my car very soon, so I'll do my best to get some more shots.

jaak,
I wouldn't use cheap, run-of-the-mill spray paint if that's what you decide to use. I sprayed over the PPG epoxy primer because it doesn't hold up well to UV rays, it may turn chalky. However, it's the best base to spray over, very durable. Plasti-Kote is very good spray paint, one of the best I've tried so far quality-wise. Even some of the hardened epoxy "appliance" spray paints are very good, Rust-oleum makes them. By far the best black I've used is Eastwood's Chassis Black, however it might be too thick to do your tailpanel, you may fill in that texture you worked hard on in your primer.

Thanks Bill, I see what your saying now, I guess I didn't read your first post good.

Jason

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Mfr426

Hey Chris, really nice site and great high res photos. Thanks for the lead.

Mike

bill440rt

Mike,
That SEM spray paint is VERY high quality, body shop grade stuff. Shops use it often for black bumper trim, etc. Test panels are a good idea, I did a few myself also for my test panel. I chose the Plasti-Kote over Krylon & Rust-oleum, I'm sure the SEM would be just fine, probably more durable than the Plast-kote. That's just what I had on my shelf.

jaak, that might work for you, too!
Good Luck!!

Mfr426

I used the SEM paint and it turned out very, very nice. That's a great product.

Thanks all...