News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok, need help with what is incorrect in my interior

Started by resq302, December 27, 2006, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Ok guys and gals.  I am getting down to the point where I can not think of anything else in my interior that is not the way it should have been when it rolled off the factory assembly line.  Please note that I have since changed over the master cylinder to the correct disc brake style for 1969 and it is painted the correct semi flat black.  What I am looking for is to have people spot items that are not the correct color, style, part, etc on my car so I can get it back to the way it would have rolled off the assembly line.  Right now I am just making a master list of what needs to be changed or corrected before the start of the show season so I will not have to be tearing apart the car mid season.

Thanks again and be as brutal as you can.  I can take it.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  The car is a 69 Charger with factory 383 HP engine and 4 speed console car.  Factory installed power disc brakes as well.  I will also be doing the same thing for my engine and undercarriage if I have photos of them saved on my computer as well.  Let the judging begin..... (and yes, I have a correct red cap repro style battery for the car also)

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

some more for your entertaining pleasure......
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Charger-Bodie

ok first off the painted part of the interior door shell shouldnt that be white ? one thing i do know is that paint should go all the way to the weatherstrip next i would have the door latches replated and the plug below the latch looks like the wrong style and lastly VERY NICE CHARGER YOU HAVE !! keep up the great work
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dodge Don

The jack spring should go around the tire iron, not through the loop........at least that's my understanding

resq302

The jack spring does go around the tire iron but is right up against the loop that holds the jack handle/tire iron down.  The door latches.... are you talking about the striker plate on the door jamb or the latch that is mounted inside the door?  If so, the latch inside the door can not be replated as there is a plastic piece inside the door latch and will not survive the plating process.  The black plastic plug below the door latch on the door is a recessed plastic plug like was used originally but does not have the Chrysler star on it.  The black on the bottom part of the door panels I found out it was supposed to be white AFTER I went through hell painting that the gloss black so that might be my little variation for now until I need to get the door panels and weather stripping off again.
Brian

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: resq302 on December 28, 2006, 12:31:13 AM
The jack spring does go around the tire iron but is right up against the loop that holds the jack handle/tire iron down.  The door latches.... are you talking about the striker plate on the door jamb or the latch that is mounted inside the door?  If so, the latch inside the door can not be replated as there is a plastic piece inside the door latch and will not survive the plating process.  The black plastic plug below the door latch on the door is a recessed plastic plug like was used originally but does not have the Chrysler star on it.  The black on the bottom part of the door panels I found out it was supposed to be white AFTER I went through hell painting that the gloss black so that might be my little variation for now until I need to get the door panels and weather stripping off again.
1 the latches can be plated the plastic slide will survive we have them done all the time  i would do the strikers and the shims and screws too
2 the door plug is not suposed to be resessed its supposed to be flat and somewhat above the surface
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tan top

wow that looks awesome :yesnod:
Quote from: 1hot68 on December 27, 2006, 09:30:09 PM
ok first off the painted part of the interior door shell shouldnt that be white ? one thing i do know is that paint should go all the way to the weatherstrip next i would have the door latches replated and the plug below the latch looks like the wrong style and lastly VERY NICE CHARGER YOU HAVE !! keep up the great work

:iagree:         thats what i thought , door shell should of been white :-\ .  yeah door plug is the wrong type :yesnod:  .   on mine (original paint)  the interior color stopped   about an inch short of the weather stripe clip holes. on the under side of the door only  . just  stopped before the edge of the  access hole ,  don't think this matters though as it probably down to the guy who painted it at the factory .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Quote from: Dodge Don on December 27, 2006, 10:24:34 PM
The jack spring should go around the tire iron, not through the loop........at least that's my understanding
yeah i though that , mine is the same :yesnod: , but i have seen them the other way round also :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

gtx6970

I'm not sure I follow here. It looks correct to me. the lug wrench goes thru the looped end of the spring and the hook end hooks into the jack itself. That way it holds everything in place to prevent rattles

tan top

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 28, 2006, 07:12:15 PM

I'm not sure I follow here. It looks correct to me. the lug wrench goes thru the looped end of the spring and the hook end hooks into the jack itself. That way it holds everything in place to prevent rattles
               :iagree:  Bill  :yesnod:    what i am referring to  is the spring  as well as  being a loop  on one end , there is another type  no loop just a hook to both ends  and hooks under the lug wrench instead . i have this type . pretty sure it is original to the car   ,  i have also seen a    few unrestored cars with this type .  and my own thoughts on this is the springs being repoped are looped at one end , are for later built cars  .     as i thought there was only one type until the  repops  came on sale . probably wrong on this one  :rotz:

Charger Stuff 

Just 6T9 CHGR

I agree with others...door frame should be interior color (W1) not black.

Spare tire should be a plain steel rim not a Road Wheel....wing nut should be zinc plated not black
Trunk hinge bushings/guides should be white not body color
Stripe should be "folded" in over the marker light housing
Jack installation looks right to me (same as pictured on the jacking instructions on the trunk lid)
Door jam switches???  Are they there?

On a side note I would add the pedal dress up kit...much nice IMHO :yesnod:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 28, 2006, 09:18:32 PM
I agree with others...door frame should be interior color (W1) not black.

Spare tire should be a plain steel rim not a Road Wheel....wing nut should be zinc plated not black
Trunk hinge bushings/guides should be white not body color
Stripe should be "folded" in over the marker light housing
Jack installation looks right to me (same as pictured on the jacking instructions on the trunk lid)
Door jam switches???  Are they there?

On a side note I would add the pedal dress up kit...much nice IMHO :yesnod:

Chris,

I thought the trunk hinge bushings were installed prior to the car being painted.  I thought I remembered reading that in an article somewhere with an interview from an assembly line worker.

The door jamb switches are there but are not plated, just as they were manufactured.  (I think it was a brass crush collar and a zinc pin on them if I remember right)
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Brian you could be right about the trunk guides.  I really havent read up on it but  lot of the high $$ restos I have seen left them white???  Mine are painted as well....
The switches should be right....I just couldnt tell if you had them in the pic
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

Quote from: tan top on December 28, 2006, 08:14:01 PM
   what i am referring to  is the spring  as well as  being a loop  on one end , there is another type  no loop just a hook to both ends  and hooks under the lug wrench instead . i have this type . pretty sure it is original to the car   ,  i have also seen a    few unrestored cars with this type .  and my own thoughts on this is the springs being repoped are looped at one end , are for later built cars  .     as i thought there was only one type until the  repops  came on sale . probably wrong on this one  :rotz:

I'm not 100% sure. My challenger was the first car I've ever owned that had the jack spring. and it had the looped spring. (it didn't have the right jack in it though when I bought it) so it's very possibile it was changed the same time the jack was.

more investigation is called for on my end , looks like a trip to the local yard with camera in hand

Dodge Don

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 28, 2006, 07:12:15 PM

The picture looked at first glance like the spring was hooked through the floor pan loop. I see on closer inspection the spring loop is around the lug wrench.

Back N Black

The trunk weatherstrip seam should not be centered,i think it should be offset to the left? correct me if I'm wrong?

THE CHARGER PUNK

if you want it to be correct you might wanna take off that R/T Bumble bee stripe :yesnod:

resq302

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on December 31, 2006, 05:23:35 PM
if you want it to be correct you might wanna take off that R/T Bumble bee stripe :yesnod:

I would if it would mean that I would not have to repaint the car.  Since I know red fades and oxidizes so badly, I don't want to take the chance reoving it and then having a two tone red stripe on the car.  The stripe was on there when I got the car and I am guessing it was put on shorty after the car was painted over 10 years ago.  I guess I will have to put that on my "Eventually" list after I hit the lottery or when the car certainly needs a new paint job.
Brian

Dodge Don

Quote from: Back N Black on December 30, 2006, 11:01:05 PM
The trunk weatherstrip seam should not be centered,i think it should be offset to the left? correct me if I'm wrong?

Mine was to the left of center by about 3-4 inches.

Neal_J

A couple of comments.  First and foremost, this post and the related engine compartment posts have been the most enjoyable I've read in 3+ years here.  Your restoration is extremely well done and I've learned as much from your pics as from the constructive comments of our board's resident experts.  The feedback and dialog has been fantastic. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to comment.  I hope others are willing to do the same.

The two things I noticed were:

Trunk weatherstrippin is off.  I agree that it should be offset 4-6" from center, as previously noted. Also, there should not be a gap at the seam.  I've seen this many times when the stripping is stretched slightly during installation but relaxes/retracts as the adhesive sets.  I did my installation in two steps doing all but the last foot in one shot and the last foot the next day.  I also deliberately cut the last foot about 1/4" long to ensure it wouldn't retract.

The trunk mat looks like a vinyl repro.  I had one and replaced it with the heavier rubber mat and was pleased that the wrinkles seen in the vinyl were not present in the heavier rubber material.

Thanks again!

Neal

resq302

Neal,

Thanks for the comment as I hope everyone else enjoyed the info that I have been able to stir up, both good and bad.  Maybe eventually, when the car needs a repaint, I can get the trunk weatherstripping redone also. 

As for the trunk mat, it is a heavy gauge rubber repro as the first repro one I got was like a vinyl table cloth.  Needless to say that was total junk and the wrinkles never came out.

Again, thanks for everyones comments both praise and negative.  I am not offended in the worst way and actually happy that people were kind enough to help me out with what is incorrect in my engine section thread and on this thread.  I have already taken some measures and have gotten some parts, most of which I am just awaiting on delivery on.  Hopefully soon I can post a pictures of my undercarriage and everyone can help me out with that just like was done with these two threads.

To me, this is what makes this board so great.  Everyone helping everyone else out.

Brian
Brian

69CoronetRT

Since no one has commented on it I assume it's OK for the jack base and mechanism to be gray and not black? 69 B bodys I've seen are black.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

resq302

The vast majority of the ones I have seen have always been that gray color.
Brian

Dennis K

Brian, where did you get the heavy weight vinyl trunk mat? I didn't know there were good ones and bad ones until I read this post, so thanks for bringing it up. I still need to get a trunk mat for my 68 and I want to get a good one. About those door plugs, check your local hardware store. I found some at my local farm & fleet store in the hardware section on a shelf with a bunch of drawers full of oddball hardware & stuff. They call them "button plugs" on the label, and the size you need is 7/8". If you can't find them locally, I would be happy to get you some here and send them to you, they are 35 cents each, and you would need 6, since the 2 on the inside front of the doors are the same plug. I also have a bunch of originals that I pick off of cars in junkyards whenever I see them so I could probably come up with 6 good used ones if you're worried about the Mopar part number. The new ones are indistinguishable from the originals on the side that shows.

resq302

Dennis,

the trunk mat I got from either Dante's or Legendary.  It has been a while now and have ordered a lot of parts since then so the mind gets cloudy after a while.

Thanks for the info about the door plugs to check with my local hardware store.

Brian
Brian

limey

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was no hard and fast rule as to whether the jacks were painted grey or black on B bodies - it just depended what they had in the factory at the time. Whichever article it was did suggest that grey was the most common.

I'm just evious that you have a jack at all. ;)
Mine is lacking in that area......amogn many....
Nick
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

resq302

Nick,

I was just lucky as that came with the car.  Thankfully, I did not have to track one down and spend $500 for it.
Brian

bill440rt

Hey Brian,
I tried responding to his last night but for some reason it didn't attach.
Anyway, here is my take, some is the same as the others' observations:
1) Trunk guides should be body color, leave 'em alone!
2) Metro has an exact repro of the original trunk weatherstripping. There are actually locating notches where the weatherstrip sits, especially at the rearward curves next to the rear body panel. The earlier or "generic" repros do not have this. I have a generic one on my '70, & I'm contemplating replacing it. As far as the seam being centered, I would think this is just due to assemblyline sloppiness, rather than it's "supposed to be" off center.
3) YES, the door frames should be WHITE!!! And, the plugs were almost flush, or a slightly raised dome. Not recessed. Furthermore, the white painted sections had WHITE plugs! This is rarely duplicated, most cars I've seen had just black plugs installed there by the owners. Colored plugs would be a GREAT repro part! I simply dyed mine white. The large plugs at the very bottom of the door were black recessed plugs.
4) Your jamb switches look painted black? Can't tell, but the nut should be a goldish color with a zinc pin. Replacements are available.
5) Yes, you can replate your door latches without disturbing the plastic guide. I did mine, along with other parts, with no problems.
6) Your door strikers & shims appear a little dark. They were a little brighter, like a zinc plating. Same with the screws. Correctly plated screws are available repro. The repro strikers are machined vs cast, I'd stay away from them if you're attempting "concours."
7) Is that undercoating on your wheelhouses in the trunk? A little hard to tell, but they should be smooth, painted metal.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on November 12, 2007, 09:25:20 AM
Hey Brian,
I tried responding to his last night but for some reason it didn't attach.
Anyway, here is my take, some is the same as the others' observations:
1) Trunk guides should be body color, leave 'em alone!
2) Metro has an exact repro of the original trunk weatherstripping. There are actually locating notches where the weatherstrip sits, especially at the rearward curves next to the rear body panel. The earlier or "generic" repros do not have this. I have a generic one on my '70, & I'm contemplating replacing it. As far as the seam being centered, I would think this is just due to assemblyline sloppiness, rather than it's "supposed to be" off center.
3) YES, the door frames should be WHITE!!! And, the plugs were almost flush, or a slightly raised dome. Not recessed. Furthermore, the white painted sections had WHITE plugs! This is rarely duplicated, most cars I've seen had just black plugs installed there by the owners. Colored plugs would be a GREAT repro part! I simply dyed mine white. The large plugs at the very bottom of the door were black recessed plugs.
4) Your jamb switches look painted black? Can't tell, but the nut should be a goldish color with a zinc pin. Replacements are available.
5) Yes, you can replate your door latches without disturbing the plastic guide. I did mine, along with other parts, with no problems.
6) Your door strikers & shims appear a little dark. They were a little brighter, like a zinc plating. Same with the screws. Correctly plated screws are available repro. The repro strikers are machined vs cast, I'd stay away from them if you're attempting "concours."
7) Is that undercoating on your wheelhouses in the trunk? A little hard to tell, but they should be smooth, painted metal.

Bill,

Thanks for the input.  The original post was started back in Dec. of 2006 if I remember correctly.  A lot has been changed and corrected since then.

-The trunk guides are body color, I did not touch them.
-The trunk weatherstripping I am leaving alone as it is in good condition.  I am scared that if I pull it up, I might pull up some paint with it as the paint is going on about 15 years old now.
-Door frames have been corrected at the beginning of the 2007 year to the correct white paint.  The flush mounted plugs have also been installed and the ones that are supposed to be colored have been dyed the appropriate color.  The large recessed plug on the bottom part of the door is the original one and has been kept in place.
-The door jamb switches are the gold cad and correct in appearance.  I don't know why it turned out dark in the pic.
-I found a set of excellent door latchs at E-town in May of 07 ( I think I showed them to you).  They were painted purple and when I removed the paint from them, the gold cadding was in excellent shape.  They have since been installed.
-The door strikers are natural and all that I did was put a little Boeshield on them to prevent them from oxidizing.  That is what probably made them appear a little dark.  The shims I painted with the zinc coating from Eastwood.  Again, to prevent them from rusting.
-The inside of the trunk is all smooth with the exception of the inside of the quarter panels.  Those have undercoating on them.
Brian

bill440rt

Holy smokes!!  :smilielol:  2006!!!! Man, I have to get my eyesight checked.  :slap:

I remember those latches, they were in really nice shape & you got a good deal on them.

The car looked good at Hershey, keep it up!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

:smilielol: Bill, its ok. I'll forgive you only because you own 3 awesome Chargers. :yesnod:
Brian

RJS

I too believe the jack hardware in 69 was black. I see you addressed all the other points except the wheelwells, they should be smooth body paint. Also Chris brought up the spare rim, It's my understanding if the car was ordered with 5 roadwheels this is correct (just check Broadcastsheet). If the door plugs in the white painted area were white what about the door buttons??

69CoronetRT

Quote from: RJS on November 13, 2007, 11:40:59 AM
Also Chris brought up the spare rim, It's my understanding if the car was ordered with 5 roadwheels this is correct (just check Broadcastsheet).

I agree on this one...Road Wheels got the stamped steel spare.

Kevin, I can't tell. Do you have the little fratzog emblem between the tach and speedo on your dash or is there a medallion there at all?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

RJS

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 13, 2007, 01:36:37 PM
Quote from: RJS on November 13, 2007, 11:40:59 AM
Also Chris brought up the spare rim, It's my understanding if the car was ordered with 5 roadwheels this is correct (just check Broadcastsheet).

I agree on this one...Road Wheels got the stamped steel spare.

Kevin, I can't tell. Do you have the little fratzog emblem between the tach and speedo on your dash or is there a medallion there at all?

Doug, I'm saying there are cases where a road wheel is correct in the trunk. (5 ordered)  Is my thinking incorrect??  My Coronet came with 5 but I don't have a broadcast sheet so don't know 100%?????

resq302

The wheel houses do not have under coating on them and are painted the body color.  The picture for some reason makes them appear distorted and not smooth but they are as smooth as they are going to get.

The steel spare issue has been corrected also prior to the 2007 show season.
Brian

RJS

OK so let me ask this another way, Brian do you have a broadcast sheet for your car??? If so what was ordered for a spare??

gtx6970

I'm not familar with a code for a 5th road wheel in the trunk  :shruggy:

RJS

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 13, 2007, 05:33:49 PM
I'm not familar with a code for a 5th road wheel in the trunk  :shruggy:

Using my 72 Satellite's Broadcast sheet for example: Under wheels it shows a box titled road with a 71 in that box.  Translation 71 is the last 2 digits of 3580071= 15x7 rallye wheel then there is a box titled spare and with a 70 in that box. Translation 3580070= 15x7 steel wheel.  So in this example my car was ordered with 4 rallye wheels and 1 steel wheel.

Now since I don't have access to a broadcast sheet from a car with Road Wheels and Brian or anyone else out there might, I asked the question... :brickwall:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: RJS on November 13, 2007, 05:48:19 PM

Now since I don't have access to a broadcast sheet from a car with Road Wheels and Brian or anyone else out there might, I asked the question... :brickwall:

resq302

I could only wish I had a build sheet for my car.  I am lucky though as I have the original fender tag still.
Brian

69CoronetRT

Do you have the little fratzog emblem between the tach and speedo on your dash or is there a medallion there at all?

resq302

I think that was a 68 thing.  Maybe 69 Coronets had them also.
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on November 14, 2007, 09:36:29 AM
  Maybe 69 Coronets had them also.

Negative....68 only...unless its my car because I have an R/T medallion from a 68 Coronet R/T on my dash ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69CoronetRT

Quote from: resq302 on November 14, 2007, 09:36:29 AM
I think that was a 68 thing.  Maybe 69 Coronets had them also.

No but for some reason I thought Chargers did...sorry.