News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ok, need help with what is incorrect in my interior

Started by resq302, December 27, 2006, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limey

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was no hard and fast rule as to whether the jacks were painted grey or black on B bodies - it just depended what they had in the factory at the time. Whichever article it was did suggest that grey was the most common.

I'm just evious that you have a jack at all. ;)
Mine is lacking in that area......amogn many....
Nick
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. -- Albert Einstein

resq302

Nick,

I was just lucky as that came with the car.  Thankfully, I did not have to track one down and spend $500 for it.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Hey Brian,
I tried responding to his last night but for some reason it didn't attach.
Anyway, here is my take, some is the same as the others' observations:
1) Trunk guides should be body color, leave 'em alone!
2) Metro has an exact repro of the original trunk weatherstripping. There are actually locating notches where the weatherstrip sits, especially at the rearward curves next to the rear body panel. The earlier or "generic" repros do not have this. I have a generic one on my '70, & I'm contemplating replacing it. As far as the seam being centered, I would think this is just due to assemblyline sloppiness, rather than it's "supposed to be" off center.
3) YES, the door frames should be WHITE!!! And, the plugs were almost flush, or a slightly raised dome. Not recessed. Furthermore, the white painted sections had WHITE plugs! This is rarely duplicated, most cars I've seen had just black plugs installed there by the owners. Colored plugs would be a GREAT repro part! I simply dyed mine white. The large plugs at the very bottom of the door were black recessed plugs.
4) Your jamb switches look painted black? Can't tell, but the nut should be a goldish color with a zinc pin. Replacements are available.
5) Yes, you can replate your door latches without disturbing the plastic guide. I did mine, along with other parts, with no problems.
6) Your door strikers & shims appear a little dark. They were a little brighter, like a zinc plating. Same with the screws. Correctly plated screws are available repro. The repro strikers are machined vs cast, I'd stay away from them if you're attempting "concours."
7) Is that undercoating on your wheelhouses in the trunk? A little hard to tell, but they should be smooth, painted metal.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Quote from: bill440rt on November 12, 2007, 09:25:20 AM
Hey Brian,
I tried responding to his last night but for some reason it didn't attach.
Anyway, here is my take, some is the same as the others' observations:
1) Trunk guides should be body color, leave 'em alone!
2) Metro has an exact repro of the original trunk weatherstripping. There are actually locating notches where the weatherstrip sits, especially at the rearward curves next to the rear body panel. The earlier or "generic" repros do not have this. I have a generic one on my '70, & I'm contemplating replacing it. As far as the seam being centered, I would think this is just due to assemblyline sloppiness, rather than it's "supposed to be" off center.
3) YES, the door frames should be WHITE!!! And, the plugs were almost flush, or a slightly raised dome. Not recessed. Furthermore, the white painted sections had WHITE plugs! This is rarely duplicated, most cars I've seen had just black plugs installed there by the owners. Colored plugs would be a GREAT repro part! I simply dyed mine white. The large plugs at the very bottom of the door were black recessed plugs.
4) Your jamb switches look painted black? Can't tell, but the nut should be a goldish color with a zinc pin. Replacements are available.
5) Yes, you can replate your door latches without disturbing the plastic guide. I did mine, along with other parts, with no problems.
6) Your door strikers & shims appear a little dark. They were a little brighter, like a zinc plating. Same with the screws. Correctly plated screws are available repro. The repro strikers are machined vs cast, I'd stay away from them if you're attempting "concours."
7) Is that undercoating on your wheelhouses in the trunk? A little hard to tell, but they should be smooth, painted metal.

Bill,

Thanks for the input.  The original post was started back in Dec. of 2006 if I remember correctly.  A lot has been changed and corrected since then.

-The trunk guides are body color, I did not touch them.
-The trunk weatherstripping I am leaving alone as it is in good condition.  I am scared that if I pull it up, I might pull up some paint with it as the paint is going on about 15 years old now.
-Door frames have been corrected at the beginning of the 2007 year to the correct white paint.  The flush mounted plugs have also been installed and the ones that are supposed to be colored have been dyed the appropriate color.  The large recessed plug on the bottom part of the door is the original one and has been kept in place.
-The door jamb switches are the gold cad and correct in appearance.  I don't know why it turned out dark in the pic.
-I found a set of excellent door latchs at E-town in May of 07 ( I think I showed them to you).  They were painted purple and when I removed the paint from them, the gold cadding was in excellent shape.  They have since been installed.
-The door strikers are natural and all that I did was put a little Boeshield on them to prevent them from oxidizing.  That is what probably made them appear a little dark.  The shims I painted with the zinc coating from Eastwood.  Again, to prevent them from rusting.
-The inside of the trunk is all smooth with the exception of the inside of the quarter panels.  Those have undercoating on them.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Holy smokes!!  :smilielol:  2006!!!! Man, I have to get my eyesight checked.  :slap:

I remember those latches, they were in really nice shape & you got a good deal on them.

The car looked good at Hershey, keep it up!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

:smilielol: Bill, its ok. I'll forgive you only because you own 3 awesome Chargers. :yesnod:
Brian

RJS

I too believe the jack hardware in 69 was black. I see you addressed all the other points except the wheelwells, they should be smooth body paint. Also Chris brought up the spare rim, It's my understanding if the car was ordered with 5 roadwheels this is correct (just check Broadcastsheet). If the door plugs in the white painted area were white what about the door buttons??

69CoronetRT

Quote from: RJS on November 13, 2007, 11:40:59 AM
Also Chris brought up the spare rim, It's my understanding if the car was ordered with 5 roadwheels this is correct (just check Broadcastsheet).

I agree on this one...Road Wheels got the stamped steel spare.

Kevin, I can't tell. Do you have the little fratzog emblem between the tach and speedo on your dash or is there a medallion there at all?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

RJS

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 13, 2007, 01:36:37 PM
Quote from: RJS on November 13, 2007, 11:40:59 AM
Also Chris brought up the spare rim, It's my understanding if the car was ordered with 5 roadwheels this is correct (just check Broadcastsheet).

I agree on this one...Road Wheels got the stamped steel spare.

Kevin, I can't tell. Do you have the little fratzog emblem between the tach and speedo on your dash or is there a medallion there at all?

Doug, I'm saying there are cases where a road wheel is correct in the trunk. (5 ordered)  Is my thinking incorrect??  My Coronet came with 5 but I don't have a broadcast sheet so don't know 100%?????

resq302

The wheel houses do not have under coating on them and are painted the body color.  The picture for some reason makes them appear distorted and not smooth but they are as smooth as they are going to get.

The steel spare issue has been corrected also prior to the 2007 show season.
Brian

RJS

OK so let me ask this another way, Brian do you have a broadcast sheet for your car??? If so what was ordered for a spare??

gtx6970

I'm not familar with a code for a 5th road wheel in the trunk  :shruggy:

RJS

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 13, 2007, 05:33:49 PM
I'm not familar with a code for a 5th road wheel in the trunk  :shruggy:

Using my 72 Satellite's Broadcast sheet for example: Under wheels it shows a box titled road with a 71 in that box.  Translation 71 is the last 2 digits of 3580071= 15x7 rallye wheel then there is a box titled spare and with a 70 in that box. Translation 3580070= 15x7 steel wheel.  So in this example my car was ordered with 4 rallye wheels and 1 steel wheel.

Now since I don't have access to a broadcast sheet from a car with Road Wheels and Brian or anyone else out there might, I asked the question... :brickwall:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: RJS on November 13, 2007, 05:48:19 PM

Now since I don't have access to a broadcast sheet from a car with Road Wheels and Brian or anyone else out there might, I asked the question... :brickwall:

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

resq302

I could only wish I had a build sheet for my car.  I am lucky though as I have the original fender tag still.
Brian

69CoronetRT

Do you have the little fratzog emblem between the tach and speedo on your dash or is there a medallion there at all?

resq302

I think that was a 68 thing.  Maybe 69 Coronets had them also.
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on November 14, 2007, 09:36:29 AM
  Maybe 69 Coronets had them also.

Negative....68 only...unless its my car because I have an R/T medallion from a 68 Coronet R/T on my dash ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69CoronetRT

Quote from: resq302 on November 14, 2007, 09:36:29 AM
I think that was a 68 thing.  Maybe 69 Coronets had them also.

No but for some reason I thought Chargers did...sorry.