News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I need to media blast?

Started by Charger1973, December 30, 2006, 12:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1973

Im hoping to do as much of this as I can at home in the garage, so im trying to see what my other options are. 

Charger1973

Theres spots like this inside the cowl that worry me too.  Its not rusting through really, but I dont want it to in the future either. 

Silver R/T

I would be careful blasting roof as its thin metal you'll warp it easily. unless you soda blast it
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Daytona R/T SE

I'd clean all the old headliner glue off with a scraper and some laquer thinner,wire brush the loose rust off and POR-15 the hell out of it.

Done.

Some people will tell you POR-15 is junk, it's too expensive, blah, blah, blah.

All I can say is I've used it on my cars, and my flatbed trailer- it's held up well and stopped the rust.

Last time I bought some it was $40 a quart-a quart goes along way.

Mfr426

:iagree:

POR15 it. I had the same issue with my 69 SE. I POR15'd it 10 years ago and have no problems.

Mike R

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 30, 2006, 09:05:51 AM
I'd clean all the old headliner glue off with a scraper and some laquer thinner,wire brush the loose rust off and POR-15 the hell out of it.

Done.

Some people will tell you POR-15 is junk, it's too expensive, blah, blah, blah.

All I can say is I've used it on my cars, and my flatbed trailer- it's held up well and stopped the rust.

Last time I bought some it was $40 a quart-a quart goes along way.

im one of the bashers of POR-15 but not because its a bad product, but because some people abuse the stuff and think its a miricle cure instead of doing a good job
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bricklayer

I media blasted  no complaints, it will show you what you really need done to do the car right.  it cost me $1000 dont know if thats high or not I thought it would be around $750 but they did A nice job the whole car was done engine bay/ jambs /trunk/ top/ floor  if you  had the fund s I would recomond it but I'm not an expert tom

MorePwr

Headliner glue? I just replaced my headliner, and many in the past. never seen glue used on bowed liners. what am I missing :shruggy:

bill440rt

Quote from: MorePwr on December 30, 2006, 12:10:01 PM
Headliner glue? I just replaced my headliner, and many in the past. never seen glue used on bowed liners. what am I missing :shruggy:

The glue holds on the headliner sound deadener (jute padding), to the roof. Not the actual headliner.

That is a perfect job for POR-15. It's not exposed to the elements, sunlight, etc. Hit it with a wire brush, clean as directed per POR-15's instructions, & brush away. It will all be hidden by interior pieces.
BTW, I did my entire undercarriage after it was sandblasted with POR-15, I don't think I used a full quart either. It goes a very long way.

Good Luck!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Charger-Bodie

i think hes refering to the insulation pieces above the headliner
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Daytona R/T SE

Whoops!  I meant the headliner pad/insulation glue...sorry :-[

Silver R/T

Por 15 is great for trunk floors, compartment floors and other areas which aren't cosmetic. Under hood Id blast it and see how bad it is. If its just pitted then Id use filler and go on from there
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MorePwr

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on December 30, 2006, 01:47:27 PM

Whoops!  I meant the headliner pad/insulation glue...sorry :-[

That's ok. I should have known what you meant. My wife (the Upholsterer) gave me one of those looks ::) when I asked her about it...I should have stated  I "helped" her with the headliners.  And apparently wasn't paying attention :rotz:

Sorry no help here with the glue removal issue. most of the headliners we worked on were in allready prepped and painted cars. or in new enough cars that removal of the insulation was not needed.

With that said. If 3M makes a glue remover. It'll be the best. IMO. Always had great luck with their products.

Charger1973

So as long as I clean it up real well, what I can get at anyways...  And then POR-15 in all the cracks.  I should be ok?  I was hoping I could do that but I wasnt sure and I dont want to have to come back and fix it later...

Also, what would you recommend for the bottom side?  it was undercoated and overall is in pretty good shape.  Should I remove all the old undercoating?  Its old and flaky I hate to leave it there.  If I scrape it off then can I just sand and POR-15 that too?  Will I be able to undercoat over the top of that?

BigBlockSam

i use rust bullet , very similar to por 15. works great and you can apply it with a brush . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 30, 2006, 07:24:43 PM
i use rust bullet , very similar to por 15. works great and you can apply it with a brush . Rene

Just to clarify my previous post - I brush the POR-15 on. ;)

And you DO NOT want to get it on your skin and let it dry-you can wash it off with lacquer thinner while it's wet, but if you let it set up on your skin-it will be with you for WEEKS!

Rubber gloves and eye protection are HIGHLY recommended  :yesnod:

'Course I usually wind up with a set of black fingers for about a month after I use the stuff ::)

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Mfr426

"...Also, what would you recommend for the bottom side?..."

This depends on how full of a resto you want to do. I had undercoating on my 69 and did NOT remove it however I regret that decision now. It's far easier with the trans and exhaust out. I'd do it now if I had it to do over again...

Just my 2 cents.