News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

III gen body stiffening

Started by Stroker, November 27, 2006, 02:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stroker

Hi!

Starting a major 73` Charger project here and need some advice.I`ve searched many topics but some things are still messy.
As my Cha was 318 car in past and it will have BIG engine in it, its defenately needed to improve stiffening of unibody.  :devil:

How does it influences on handling when I will use rear leaf spring relocation kit form MP and move springs 3` inside? With the widening of rear wheelwells, it will give me more space for wide tyres. What about handling???

When I am going to use that kit, then leaf springs fixes into frame rails, does it give me some more stiffness? Do I still have to ad torque boxes?

Subframe connectors. I will defenately use some sub-cons and I like US Car Tool`s weld- in connectors, but they dont have them available for 73 B-Body. Only 71-72 and earlier. Are 72 and 73 really so much different from the downside (frames, floor pans) that I cant use pre 73 ones to my car? 72 and 72 Charger look quite same outside. Of course I could fabricate my own connectors, but still.... ???

Thankful for answers!
Stroker

Ghoste

What is your main purpose going to be with the car?

Stroker

It will be one nasty street car that goes to strips sometimes. Or maybe more...... :devil:

Charger74

Quote from: Stroker on November 27, 2006, 02:30:02 AM
Hi!

Starting a major 73` Charger project here and need some advice.I`ve searched many topics but some things are still messy.
As my Cha was 318 car in past and it will have BIG engine in it, its defenately needed to improve stiffening of unibody.  :devil:

How does it influences on handling when I will use rear leaf spring relocation kit form MP and move springs 3` inside? With the widening of rear wheelwells, it will give me more space for wide tyres. What about handling???

When I am going to use that kit, then leaf springs fixes into frame rails, does it give me some more stiffness? Do I still have to ad torque boxes?

Subframe connectors. I will defenately use some sub-cons and I like US Car Tool`s weld- in connectors, but they dont have them available for 73 B-Body. Only 71-72 and earlier. Are 72 and 73 really so much different from the downside (frames, floor pans) that I cant use pre 73 ones to my car? 72 and 72 Charger look quite same outside. Of course I could fabricate my own connectors, but still.... ???

Thankful for answers!
Stroker

To answer you question, yes there is a that much of a difference between 72 and 73.  I know, I'm in the same boat with my '73.  I think I'm just going to have someone fab up the sub-frame connectors like US Car tool did.  I also plan to go with the solid k-member mounts.  Have been debating the spring move because yes, you will lose the ability to use a stock style sway bar.  So not sure about body roll stability if doing that other than using adjustable shocks to stiffen the ride.

73chargers4404

magunum force has sub frames for a 73 . i have them on my car i had  no problems with driver side but the passenger side i had to weld in 1/2" of flat steel to fill in a gap but it wasnt that bad .the company pissed me off but they are the only ones that have them for a 73.

Stroker

Yeah I didn`t think about rear sway bar. What opportunities I have when I still want to move the springs inside and use sway bar as well?

Subframe connectors offered by Magnumforce http://www.magnumforce.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=3108&CategoryID=9&BrandID=&Category=&SubCategory=&Search=&Page=
are ordinary frames. I tought more like connectors that follow the floorpan contour and are 100% welded in. I think I can fabricate these myself. It just takes some extra time....which I have.

But still what about torque boxes. My logic says that when springs fix to the frame then all the torque/power goes straight to the frame and I dont need torque boxes. Am I wright? ???

Charger 74: I said you plan to go with solid K-member mounts. You mean like take off the rubber bushings and fix K-member straight to the body? Or some other way?

Anyway thank you guys.
Stroker

Stroker

Yeah,I`m back again and still as smart as earlier. Maybe someone can help me in those last questions.

Is it possible to shorten rear sway bar myself. I have all the machinery thats needed for cutting, welding, grinding....whatever. I think I can do it. ???

This solid K-member questions is also interesting. Any experiences?

Merry Christmas for all of you!
Stroker

1973ChargerSE

I replaced the rubber isolator mounts with billet ones on my 73, and she handles really well.  Unfortunately, I never drove the car before I did this, so I can't really compare the two.