News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

aftermartket steering wheels?????

Started by HITMAN 149, January 05, 2007, 07:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HITMAN 149

hey guys....
anybody using an aftermartket steering wheel?!?!?!? i'm thinking about going with a GRANT 440 challenger w/ a black mopar horn button(#5790). just curious what anybody else is using and if you guys could drop some pics?!?!?!?
sorry all you original guys...but that original wheel is like using a 22" dub spinny rim to steer the car!!! LOL :P
here's a couple pics of some i've come across in 2nd gen's....... i like the gray interior in the 69'... i think it's sweet.....I LOVE the center console w/ the black!!!!
OMG!!!!!! also does anybody have any clue how HARD it is to type on the computer...while a 15 week old.....30 lb american bulldog (who thinks he's a lap dog) is trying to climb on your lap!?!?!?!?! friggin maniac dog!!!!!"BULLITT"!!!!!!!!!!! :image_294343:
thanks again!!!!!!!!!
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

mikepmcs

That one is nice, but they make a grant woodgrain(simulation I imagine)  Like on the new duke's movie(yeah, i'm partial) that looks a lot better IMHO.
I'll try to find the thread, it's in cars for sale and it has a picture.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

HITMAN 149

hey mike...
yea..... i like the wood grain one too, like in the movie...but don't think it'll go with my black int!?!?!?!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

mikepmcs

oh yeah it will, here it is.  The car was sold but found the pic.  It matches the shifter. :icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RogerDodger

Do these aftermarket steering wheels come with everything to make the horn work? I always wondered how much trouble they are to install. I want one!

HITMAN 149

hey dodger...
as far as my understanding is.....it all works with the installation kit!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

doctorpimp

Here's my car with the Grant Signature 3 spoke.
You have to buy the install kit for your make/model of car separately but it is a very easy project.
Yes the horns work with the center button ;)
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

RogerDodger

sean68charger

does it matter if my car in column change and want to fit one of these wheels?
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

doctorpimp

Quote from: sean68charger on January 08, 2007, 02:32:34 PM
does it matter if my car in column change and want to fit one of these wheels?
No they are universal.  Just buy the installation kit ($10) for the year & model of car that the column came from.

HITMAN 149

just got back from pep boys auto w/ my new grant challenger 440 (chrome spokes) steering wheel...had to order the installation kit & MOPAR horn button (7-10 days)!!! same pic as previously posted but what it will look like....... after installed!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

doctorpimp

HITMAN 149

DAMN........ i got the call this morning from pep boys...my install kit & mopar horn button are in already!!!!!! yea baby!!!!!!!! :o
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

1971SE440

I went with the Grant 860 on my 1971. Very easy install with right kit from Grant.

andy74

i really like that mopar center button,ill have to check that out,as i want to replace my shitty aftermarket wheel any way

HITMAN 149

hey andy.....
it looks really cool!!!!  i can't wait to put it all on!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

mikesbbody

i definitly prefer the aftermarket look myself that was one of the frst things i removed (the original steering wheel) hobobum149, your wheel looks awesome!

HITMAN 149

thanks.....mike,
yea no offense to all the "purists" out there..but that stock wheel is huge!!! hahahaha  i haven't put it on yet...but that's a pic of what it'll look like when done!!!! all in all it was less than $100. via pep boys auto!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

SnoPro440

John,
That steering wheel looks sweet.  I want to change mine out too.  Are the spokes bright chrome or a machined look? 

Troy
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

mikesbbody

Quote from: hobobum149 on January 27, 2007, 12:22:22 PM
thanks.....mike,
yea no offense to all the "purists" out there..but that stock wheel is huge!!! hahahaha  i haven't put it on yet...but that's a pic of what it'll look like when done!!!! all in all it was less than $100. via pep boys auto!!!!!
no need to apologise to the "purists" out there alot of them are too scared to drive their car's anyway! the original wheels look like thy came off a bus! way too big the tuff wheel and rim blow are ok but i prefer the aftermarket

HITMAN 149

hey troy....
they come in 3 different finishes foir that wheel.... black, polished(dull satin) and the one i got..which is a bright chrome!!.....
it's a grant "challenger series #440) hahaha 440..just like my motor!! LOL hahahaha (stupid funny)  :rotz:
hahaha
later......
-JOHN
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

T16

What size is the "stock" steering wheel on a 3rd gen..? 15" ..?

I´ve got a 12 1/2" Superior 500 wheel in my garage.. but that may be to tiny.. i think

Maybe 13 1/2" will look better..

Mike DC

The stock wheel on my '69 is like 16" or so.

I think half the problem with the stock steering wheels isn't the size, but the fact that it sits so close up to your face! 
No matter what you do with various seat adjustments, the basic distance between the steering wheel and the floor pedals is pretty big compared to most other cars. 
Half the benefit of an aftermarket wheel comes from just getting the "dish" reduced.

bksfld68

I have two Grant Collector's Edition Steering Wheels, they are black stained mahogany, stuck one in my 68 Charger and one in my 69 Mach 1.  Just get the manufacturers horn button instead of the Grant and they add a nice touch.  Below is a pic in the Charger.

bill440rt

Hey Hitman,
I'm going with this Grant Elite wheel in my '69.  PLEASE let me know where you got that Mopar horn button from! Looks great!

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce