News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger bucket seat hockey puck question HELP!

Started by charge-it, January 12, 2007, 10:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charge-it

I just removed the passenger side front bucket seat from my 1968 Dodge Charger this evening. The four hockey pucks that mount between the seat track studs and carpet are made from what looks like plywood. They are held in place by a round clip. Is this the correct part on 68 front buckets? They look like they have been there since day one. My 64 Plymouth Sport Fury and 1970 GTX had a plastic type of puck. I`m just getting started with installing new foam and new vinyl covers.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

8WHEELER

Yes, I have seen that on many 68's, I have taken apart several original 68 seats
that had the wood spacer blocks, its actually amazing they last as long as they do.
The good news is, all of the repos are plastic.

And on the original plastic type units, they are very prone to cracking, not the wood.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Dennis K

That's interesting to know. I found some plywood seat spacers in a Charger in a junkyard a few years ago and thought it was some redneck engineering, I never would have thought that the factory did it like that.

charge-it

Thanks for the replies! I think I`ll put my holesaw to good use and make myself a new "correct" set of spacers. I`ve seen the new plastic spacers crack soon after they have been installed.  I guess if the original wooden set has lasted 39 years then a new wooden set should last until I get planted.
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

moparjohn

I have a helpfull trick for those of you that don't have a 6 way seat. I removed the spacer from the rear and stacked 2 on the front bolts to give the seat more recline, I am sometimes a passenger in my car (long trips) and it really helped!
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

squeakfinder

O.k that explains why the seat tracks I got off feebay had remnants of plywood stuck to them.

As far as redneck engineering, stacking washers also works.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Blakcharger440

For 70 the originals were plastic .....and I have never found a plastic set that were cracked as they were pretty thick.
I didnt know the 68 ones were made of wood.