News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 suspension reassembly, Where should I start first?

Started by WH23G3G, January 04, 2007, 10:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got the K-member and new body mount bushings in. I was going to start with the passenger side LCA today. I got the shaft and bushing pressed in today. I installed the LCA in the K-member slot and put on the shaft nut and was going to tighten just enough for it to be stable. I couldn't get too tight, because the shaft would spin with the nut. Is this because the torsion bar is out of the socket? I was trying to do that because I was going to screw in the lower balljoint into the LCA to 125LBS-FT. Well I got close, but the torque started to pull the LCA shaft and bushing out of place, so I stopped. Do I need to reinstall the torsion bar first? I'm going to have the balljoint tightened off of the car before I reinstall it. I thought it would be ok to do it the way I just tried. I still have to remove the torsion bars totally from the rear crossmember anchor and clean and inspect them. What sequence of reassembly should I start with to reinstall the suspension components? I want it to go as smoothly as possible.

ThmsFlesh

What I did with mine is I installed the K-frame with the isolators to frame of the car.  Then I attached the LCA snuggly and then installed my torsion bars, less bind this way.  Make sure you use lots of grease if going with poly bushings/mounts.  Hope this helps.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: WH23G3G on January 04, 2007, 10:20:53 PM
I installed the LCA in the K-member slot and put on the shaft nut and was going to tighten just enough for it to be stable. I couldn't get too tight, because the shaft would spin with the nut. Is this because the torsion bar is out of the socket?

Yes and for a while you don't install the T bar bolt adjuster. Anyway it shoud stop at one point since the T bar anchor should stop at the point meets with LCA slot where is tighten. So even will spin you can get it tighten because will stop. Doesn't make a complete 360º turn.

I was trying to do that because I was going to screw in the lower balljoint into the LCA to 125LBS-FT. Well I got close, but the torque started to pull the LCA shaft and bushing out of place, so I stopped. Do I need to reinstall the torsion bar first? I'm going to have the balljoint tightened off of the car before I reinstall it. I thought it would be ok to do it the way I just tried.

I don't get how LCA position can be affected for a while ball joint is being tighten. In fact I did the ball joint change before mount the LCA on bench because mine is pressed in, not screw. Doesn't have threads.

What sequence of reassembly should I start with to reinstall the suspension components? I want it to go as smoothly as possible.

I did it on this way, dunno if the best but I didn't have problems:
-UCA
-LCA with shaft tighten, even did spin, but stopped.
-Spindle on UCA.
-T bar on LCA, trying to fit it on the point far away possible from top and where is chance to instal the T bar tensioner bolt assembly to get the more Torsions possible.
-LCA on Spindle.
-Tight T bar bolt.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html