News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Project '69 is Now.... **PAINTED '69!!!*** Updates w/pics!!

Started by bill440rt, January 13, 2007, 09:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Well, after two solid years of doing metal & bodywork any spare moment I had, while trying to raise a family, maintain a home, work full time & also part-time on the weekends, has finally paid off. Project '69 was finally painted today!  :boogie:

The owner of a shop I am friendly with offered the use of his spray booth, so I had a good facility in which to paint. Last time I painted a car was back in '99 (my '70), but it was kinda like riding a bike.

With the help of some friends, we masked off the car last night, & rolled it into my trailer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

I trailered the car to the body shop this morning, rolled it in, finished some last minute detail masking, & applied the sealer. We used PPG DP Gray/Green epoxy primer, mixed with a little of PPG's Gray DP to lighten it, & thinned as a sealer. Myself, along with a friend, "double-teamed" as painters & we sprayed 1 medium coat.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Next, we applied the basecoat. We used PPG's DBU base, FJ5 Sublime green.
Some of you may have remembered my previous post on the V21 hood treatment. The hood was sanded with 1000 & the stripes masked off again. We blended the base into the hood on our last coat, prior to clearing the car.
This is how the car looked based out.

bill440rt

I didn't get too crazy trying to paint the roof, as the car will be getting a vinyl top. Pretty much, 1 coat each of sealer, base, & clear just for coverage.

We used PPG's Concept 2000 for the clear. This is NOT cheap stuff, about $200 bucks a gallon.  :scared:  It is a 2-coat clear, but we gave it 4 coats since it wll be sanded & buffed. We used the DCX61 hardener and DT885 reducer. Flowed out real nice. Reflection on the hood is from the lights in the booth.

The car was baked at 145 degrees for 1/2 hour or so. The shop owner was kind enough to let me keep it in his booth to dry further until Monday morning. I'll be picking it up then & bringing it back home.

A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to some very members of this board: Kevin69RTvert, Just6T9 CHGR, & 69 OUR/TEA. Their help & information on some things was invaluable in this. Thanks, guys!

Charger-Bodie

you are just about to the fun part " assembly" looking real nice !!! :icon_smile_cool:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

Well done!  The paint job looks great from here and I love the colour too.   :yesnod:   :thumbs:

Ryan

thats going to look really nice when its assembled. WHat kind of wheels are you putting on it?
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Just 6T9 CHGR

Just got home Bill & got your message.......awesome job guys! :cheers:

Any time you need help assembling give me a call!

I'm glad you got some practice in before you do my car ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Silver R/T

nice color, very rare to see 2nd gen in sublime green. Nice job
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dads_69

Damn thats bright. From won painter to another, excellent job!
Theres a '69 SE here also that same color combo, I'll see if the guy will post some photos of his charger also.
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

jaak

Back N Black

dodgeboy67

GOOD FOR YOU MAN.......NICE JOB.....GOOD TO SEE A PROJECT COME TOGETHER

moparjohn

Bill, your work, as always,  is fantastic!  I sure want you on my list of people to turn to when it comes time to re-do mine. Awsome work. PS if you need a hand w/reassembly let me know. John
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

69 OUR/TEA

Great job Bill !!!!,glad everything went well for you,keep the progress pics coming.

THE CHARGER PUNK

bill440rt

Wow, THANKS! It's nice to know hard work is appreciated here. I literally busted my hump on this car, which was really a former rot-box. Just 6T9 & moparjohn, I may even take you guys up on your offers of reassembly!  :D :2thumbs:  Expecially with the engine/trans. I don't have the means to come up from underneath like the factory, so I may just have to go the hack way from top to bottom. We'll see, but more hands are needed that way, I think.

I was able to go this morning to pick the car up & bring it home. My wife even helped me push it in the trailer!  :boogie:  I finished unmasking it tonite, here are some more pictures.

bill440rt

Here are a few more.

Hopefully in the next week or two I'll start dropping the front & rear suspensions & getting them ready for rebuilding, repainting, & detailing. Seems like a good place to start. That'll give the paint some time to cure a little more, then it can be sanded & buffed. It will need very little sanding, it actually flowed out very nicely with little or no orange peel.

jaak

Looks great!!!!!
Makes me eager to get mine painted!!!!

Jason

bill440rt

Ryan, you asked about wheels. Well, after some personal debate, I've actually decided on these Foose Challenger wheels. I know I may get tarred & feathered from some members here ( :no: ), but I really like them. They are a spinoff of the Rallye wheel, but more mag looking than the ones from Billet Specialties which I don't really like as much.
Foose used them on that '71 Challenger he did, & I personally liked the look of that wheel. I hope some members don't hate me for that, but it's just my opinion. I've just seen too many Vectors or 5-spoke Cragars & Torque Thrusts than I can handle. A moderinized hot rod, yet somewhat stock appearing with a twist, is the goal.

Mfr426

Bill, just got a good look at this paint. It looks fantastic! Nicely done!!!!! Also, nice trailer. I'm jealous.

:2thumbs:

plum500

Quote from: bill440rt on January 15, 2007, 10:00:49 PM
Ryan, you asked about wheels. Well, after some personal debate, I've actually decided on these Foose Challenger wheels. I know I may get tarred & feathered from some members here ( :no: ), but I really like them. They are a spinoff of the Rallye wheel, but more mag looking than the ones from Billet Specialties which I don't really like as much.
Foose used them on that '71 Challenger he did, & I personally liked the look of that wheel. I hope some members don't hate me for that, but it's just my opinion. I've just seen too many Vectors or 5-spoke Cragars & Torque Thrusts than I can handle. A moderinized hot rod, yet somewhat stock appearing with a twist, is the goal.

I think most of the problem with "Foosing" and modern rims has as much to do with the choice of tires as anything. It's the rubber band look I don't dig so much.

What size rims/tires are you going with? Car looks awesome :2thumbs:. I think that rim pattern looks pretty good -- not too much tribal pattern in there, and not too flimsy.

Then again though, judging by the pictures I also think it would look just as badass with some new BFGs and white steel rims  ;D

bill440rt

Quote from: plum500 on January 16, 2007, 08:13:41 AM

I think most of the problem with "Foosing" and modern rims has as much to do with the choice of tires as anything. It's the rubber band look I don't dig so much.

What size rims/tires are you going with? Car looks awesome :2thumbs:. I think that rim pattern looks pretty good -- not too much tribal pattern in there, and not too flimsy.

Then again though, judging by the pictures I also think it would look just as badass with some new BFGs and white steel rims  ;D

Hi Plum500,
I understand your concerns with the "rubber band" look, that seems to run with the majority consensus with other members as well. That's OK, I have 15" Centerlines with 295/50 BFGs on the back on my '68. LOVE the look. My '70 is bone-stock. For this '69, I just want something different, something on the modern side. The car is being built to DRIVE: handle, stop, steer, A/C, etc, not to hook up & run on the drag strip.
These Foose wheels will only be available in the larger sizes 17, 18, & 20s. I really wanted 19s in the back as a happy medium, but that unfortunately is not a choice. I saw some Chargers with 19s this past year at Carlisle, the look was nice. I will probably go with 20s rear/18's front, or 18s rear/17s front, or 18s all around. I can get a 20" tire the same size or a tad taller than my 295/50 BFG's, which will fill the wheelwell nicely & not give a rubber band look.
So far, I'm looking at these Goodyears:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

However, they may be a little too short so I might look for something similar in a slightly taller size. Also, if a car sits too high with these tall wheels, it won't look right.

PocketThunder

:o   :o   :o  Excellent work!  I can see why you will have guys knocking on your door to work on their cars next.  Damn that is nice.  And i love the hood treatment.  Its something you dont see on every Charger. 

And i love your choice of wheels.  I went 17's on my 68 and they ride nice and look good. 

:2thumbs:  from Paul in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

plum500

Quote from: bill440rt on January 16, 2007, 09:01:12 AM
Quote from: plum500 on January 16, 2007, 08:13:41 AM

Hi Plum500,
I understand your concerns with the "rubber band" look, that seems to run with the majority consensus with other members as well. That's OK, I have 15" Centerlines with 295/50 BFGs on the back on my '68. LOVE the look. My '70 is bone-stock. For this '69, I just want something different, something on the modern side. The car is being built to DRIVE: handle, stop, steer, A/C, etc, not to hook up & run on the drag strip.
These Foose wheels will only be available in the larger sizes 17, 18, & 20s. I really wanted 19s in the back as a happy medium, but that unfortunately is not a choice. I saw some Chargers with 19s this past year at Carlisle, the look was nice. I will probably go with 20s rear/18's front, or 18s rear/17s front, or 18s all around. I can get a 20" tire the same size or a tad taller than my 295/50 BFG's, which will fill the wheelwell nicely & not give a rubber band look.
So far, I'm looking at these Goodyears:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

However, they may be a little too short so I might look for something similar in a slightly taller size. Also, if a car sits too high with these tall wheels, it won't look right.

Cool. Those Goodyears look similar (well, sort of) to the directional Fuzions http://www.1010tires.com/images/tires/Fuzion/bridgestone_fuzion_lg.jpg I went with -- I went 17" on the rims, and 255/50/17s. There's a good 5"+ of sidewall there. Filling the wheelwell is as much a part of it too -- really like that look -- and as you say, not too high. I've got the front of my '71 cranked down as far as I can get it to tuck them up some -- dropping the back a bit too.

Anyhow, nice ride -- look forward to the final pics. Hood looks A++.

AirborneSilva

VERY nice!!!  The lines on it are very crisp and straight as an arrow, great job  :yesnod:

resq302

damn Bill.  Looking really really good.  If I can be of any help with assembly, let me now.  Granted, right now I do not have much time with the new born but if I can help out at all, please let me know.  Like all of your cars, that is just coming out fantastic.  Probably a hell of a lot better than what I can do.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

472 R/T SE

WOW, that pops right out at ya'.  The lines are great, nice job.  Should look killer when done.
I actually like those wheels and have been thinking about a set myself. 

Charger_Fan

*sniff* Man, I can just about smell the fresh paint from here! ;D
Looks great Bill. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi-hampton

bill440rt

Thanks again guys for your compliments & appreciation. I will try to post more update pics as more progress continues. I was hoping to drop the suspensions this weekend, but forecast says cold. We got a dusting of snow here last night, & my garage is unheated. We'll see.  :RantExplode:

472 RT/SE, plum500, & PocketThunder, thanks for your approval of these Foose wheels. I was really expecting to be skinned alive & slathered with paint stripper for choosing them. 472 RT/SE, they're slated to be available sometime this spring, that's what the rep from MHT Alloys told me at Carlisle. Maybe we can get in on a small group buy?  :shruggy:

I just may take up everyone's offer of reassembly help, too! THANKS!!

472 R/T SE

It's not like you're buying a '07 Charger,  :icon_smile_big:.

I was laying in bed thinking earlier this week about putting wheels on instead of a GV Overdrive and those are the first set I thought of.  I want as much rubber on them as possible so maybe 18's & 17's?  I need to ask ds440 to 'shop a set on to see how it would look.

jordyjim

would you have used a cheap clear coat?after all the effort you put into that i know you wouldnt, im a full time painter, thumbs up from me,luv the colour..jim

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi-hampton

bill440rt

Quote from: moparstuart on December 08, 2007, 12:41:25 AM
what happened with this car
Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 08, 2007, 03:28:15 AM
Yeah, Any updates? LEON

:shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

Hey guys,
Thanks for the interest! Well, the first sentence in this thread pretty much says it all, "...working any spare moment I had, while trying to raise a family, maintain a home, work full time & also part-time on the weekends...".  My time is severely limited.

Anyway, there have been several progress threads posted throughout this year. Here is the suspension progress:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,26781.0.html

Vinyl top installation:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30095.0.html

R/T Stripe Installation:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29293.0.html

Headliner Installation:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.0.html

I've pretty much been in a parts buying stage right now, which unfortunately has been slow. Currently, the 1/4 windows, 1/4 belt moldings, door regulators, wiper mechanisms, & some other trim are installed. The wheels/tires I've chosen have been ordered & should really be here any day now. After that, I'll concentrate my efforts on getting the Classic Auto Air set-up & install the heater box, so I can move on to the dash, windshield/back window, & other glass trim. Then, I really need to get the engine/trans done.

I was saving this for a later date, but can't resist the temptation. I had ds440 make this up for me on Photoshop, it was amazing how fast he got this done for me. He is really an artist.
This is (hopefully) what the car will look like when completed. I realize some members' position here regarding this look, I just happen to like it for this car.
I'll try to post some more progress pics soon! Thanks again!!!

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

SeattleCharger

That is cool, love the hood 440 part, sweeett.    I also like 472 R/T's hood on his purple '70, Mike, you should put a pic of yours on here,
    Doing the hood is the best detail on these cars I swear.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.