News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VINless DAYTONA for 50-60k (range).

Started by Charger Aficionado, January 14, 2007, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Only thing is the VIN has been stolen, but owner has original Title, and body stamps match sequential VIN #'s... 

QUESTION IS:  Can VIN plate be re-stamped by anyone?  Galen said it is illegal, but they may be able to point me in the right direction (of someone who would know if they can be made) if I relay the VIN, but owner refuses to give it out.  I can go see car as it is local and get VIN (Since he allready told me first part is XX29L9B)...

Missing back glass, wire-mesh for nose and #'s engine/tranny...  EVERYTHING ELSE IS THERE:  Steel nose, Alum wing, Aero Trim, rear window trim etc...

IS IT WORTH IT W/ NO VIN OR FENDER TAG???????

THE CHARGER PUNK

there is one place that can amke you a vin tag if you have the paper work and fender tag, ill try n remember what the name was of the company, also have any pics???

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 14, 2007, 05:12:58 PM
there is one place that can amke you a vin tag if you have the paper work and fender tag, ill try n remember what the name was of the company, also have any pics???

Fender tag stolen too...  I'm sure it'll turn-up one day, but....  All I'd have is BODY stamps and Title...

P.S. Punk I tried to respond to your message about the Charger 500, but your inbox was FULL kid. 

hemi68charger

Wow..

Now, that's interesting and I'll be curious to see how this develops.....  Sucks about the fender tag and VIN.......  :-\

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

daytonalo

IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO BUY IT , I WILL GIVE YOU A 5000.00 FINDERS FEE !

hemigeno

To me, a car like that (with "issues") could be worth that much to a Daytona lover that wanted to keep the car.  Anyone who bought the car and expected to flip it for a profit might end up being disappointed.  It would almost always be looked at as less valuable than a similar car without "issues", but it would still be an authentic Daytona to me - at least based on what you're saying.

Any chance you have any contacts in Law Enforcement that can confirm whether or not the car would be confiscated the first time you applied for a license with that VIN?  I know the owner still has the title, but if the car is tied up in some sort of legal proceeding you might not be able to keep possession of it no matter what amount you paid.  If the Insurance Company paid off on the car after it was stolen, did the owner "buy it back" from the Insurance Co. after it was recovered?  Again, the Ins. Co. would have a right to the car if they compensated the owner for its initial loss (even though they would only have paid the owner a fraction of its current value).  Lots of issues to beware of, and a subsequent sale will not automatically negate another party's right to reclaim the car.

If there aren't any ownership issues it might be a perfect car for somebody like Troy or Danny that would love to own a Daytona but aren't interested in what the resale value would be.

Hey Danny, with a car like this (no fender tag) you could fix it up however you wanted to!  R6 Red, red interior, buddy seat, etc...

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

I'd maybe even trade up for a '68 hemi Charger.......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69_500

$50K for a car with no VIN, and no fender tag? Does it have the broadcast sheet? If so then I'd say spend the $50K in a heart beat. Without it, its up to you. Me personally I would. Heck I'd trade a numbers matching Charger 500 for that in a heartbeat.

That is just me though.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: dads_69 on January 14, 2007, 08:48:59 PM
If you have the cash, buy it. You know as well as any of us on line here that you can figure out a way to get through the B.S. and get it certified as a real Daytona. He who hestitates, loses.
Mark
I hear you Mark, I would have already but I need a partner.  A few (3) people here are hitting me up to work something out.

69_500

You need someone to authenticate the car? I know of a few people who are there on the west coast that would do it. Heck I'll be on the west coast in 3 weeks.

Charger Aficionado

O.K. you got a laugh Mark!  :) 
Quote from: 69_500 on January 14, 2007, 08:57:25 PM
You need someone to authenticate the car? I know of a few people who are there on the west coast that would do it. Heck I'll be on the west coast in 3 weeks.
I assume all I need to authenticate the car is the XX title matched with the last 6 of VIN on bodystampings, AND the basics I've learned about XX cars...  View the rear window plug, make sure the nose is Steel, wing aluminum, Aero trim is proper.  etc...  I'll be looking for a jack also, and wing braces...

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2007, 05:40:08 PM

Hey Danny, with a car like this (no fender tag) you could fix it up however you wanted to!  R6 Red, red interior, buddy seat, etc...

Or F6 with white interior......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

daytonalo

What happens when a car shows up and is titled with those vin plates ? After further thought , it is a big gamble , I buy and sell 2-3 cars a week . I look at it this way , ok they steal the car , maybe stash it out of sight , why remove tags ? If the car was spotted , could their be confusion if it was the stolen car . I would bet money that it was the only daytona stolen ever in that area !! maybe the car is 500 , point is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE . Larry O

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: daytonalo on January 14, 2007, 11:46:42 PM
What happens when a car shows up and is titled with those vin plates ? After further thought , it is a big gamble , I buy and sell 2-3 cars a week . I look at it this way , ok they steal the car , maybe stash it out of sight , why remove tags ? If the car was spotted , could their be confusion if it was the stolen car . I would bet money that it was the only daytona stolen ever in that area !! maybe the car is 500 , point is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE . Larry O

IF that ever happened, I was told that he who holds the TITLE with the oldest date/paperwork wins.  Besides I'd like to see someone come-up with the AUTHENTIC VIN STAMPINGS on a re-bodied car...  Much-less all of the ORIGINAL Daytona equipment (steel nose, aluminum wing, plug, trunklid, aero mouldings, etc...

OneBadSuperbird

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 14, 2007, 05:18:56 PM

Fender tag stolen too...  I'm sure it'll turn-up one day, but....  All I'd have is BODY stamps and Title...

P.S. Punk I tried to respond to your message about the Charger 500, but your inbox was FULL kid. 

www.datatags.com will make you a VIN tag with the proper documentation. 

I got a call from the woman selling that VIN-less purple Daytona a few months back.  I think the original color is some shade of green.  That car has WAY more issues than just a missing VIN.  She wanted $90K for it when she called and was selling due to "medical reasons".  I see the price has dropped considerably.
Save A Rare Rotter Today - Rebody It!

Click on pic to check out the FIVE STAR PRODUCTIONS website!

Charger Aficionado

Well I'm HOPING for 50k RANGE (because of the VIN situation).  I only have her to 65k so-far, but we're talking 50s... I called that Datatag guy,and he said I'm up a creek with the Ca. Laws on re-vining it, but I have some other ideas.  I want to make sure it is COMPLETLEY legal, and I don't have criminal liability. 

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 14, 2007, 09:24:50 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2007, 05:40:08 PM

Or F6 with white interior......  :icon_smile_big:

Yep, that'd work too   ;D

69_500

Ah so you know about this car then John?

Is the car an automatic or a 4 speed?

mikepmcs

Just buy this one for $275,000 and call it good.  9000 miles, highly documented 2nd owner Daytona.  Someone on here has got to own this one.

Just keep scrolling til you see it.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/dodge.html
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bordin34

I would buy it but if you have any cop friends and can find a VIN somewhere have them run it through the computer to see if it comes up stolen  or already registered.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: OneBadSuperbird on January 15, 2007, 02:22:37 AM
Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 14, 2007, 05:18:56 PM

I got a call from the woman selling that VIN-less purple Daytona a few months back.  I think the original color is some shade of green.  That car has WAY more issues than just a missing VIN.  She wanted $90K for it when she called and was selling due to "medical reasons".  I see the price has dropped considerably.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I remember that car.
Troy

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 15, 2007, 09:49:28 AM
Quote from: OneBadSuperbird on January 15, 2007, 02:22:37 AM

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I remember that car.

I remembered John's contact with that lady from before also, but I tried to do a search and couldn't find the thread from before (neither on Style nor on here).

Good information, OBS!  What other issues were there, if you don't mind sharing them (again)?

OneBadSuperbird

Troy, I wondered why you didn't remember that car!

Gene, I don't remember everything from the conversation I had with the gal selling the car but I remember her asking me if wing cars came with fibergalss body parts.  When I told her the wing was aluminum and the nose was steel, she got all huffy and said that virtually everyone she talked to had assured her that the parts were originally fiberglass.  She was clearly not happy with my answer and asked me for Doug Schellinger's number so she could take it to a higher level.  I felt like customer service when the customer asks to speak to a supervisor! 

At this point, I asked if the parts were indeed fiberglass and I don't recall what she said about the wing but the nose was definitely fiberglass.  She didn't have a VIN number to rattle off and that immediately popped up the red flag that this car may have originally been a Charger 500. 

She did mention some other stuff that got my attention about the car but I'm not recalling them at the moment.  I do know that I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole even at $30K unless some really thorough legal documentation was done on it. 
Save A Rare Rotter Today - Rebody It!

Click on pic to check out the FIVE STAR PRODUCTIONS website!

rich4406bbl

There was an article in Hemmings Muscle Machines a few months back about a fraudulent 'Cuda. I'm sorry that I no longer have the magazine. It may be available as a back issue from Hemmings. Anyway, the gist of my comment is that the state of NY wound up issuing it a title but it was in no way, shape or form a VIN from Chrysler. It was in a format from that state. You may have to go that route depending on the documentation that you have and what they would need to verify it. I'd be a bit leary of a repro VIN tag on a car. If it's spotted then you may have a lot explaining to do.