News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VINless DAYTONA for 50-60k (range).

Started by Charger Aficionado, January 14, 2007, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Only thing is the VIN has been stolen, but owner has original Title, and body stamps match sequential VIN #'s... 

QUESTION IS:  Can VIN plate be re-stamped by anyone?  Galen said it is illegal, but they may be able to point me in the right direction (of someone who would know if they can be made) if I relay the VIN, but owner refuses to give it out.  I can go see car as it is local and get VIN (Since he allready told me first part is XX29L9B)...

Missing back glass, wire-mesh for nose and #'s engine/tranny...  EVERYTHING ELSE IS THERE:  Steel nose, Alum wing, Aero Trim, rear window trim etc...

IS IT WORTH IT W/ NO VIN OR FENDER TAG???????

THE CHARGER PUNK

there is one place that can amke you a vin tag if you have the paper work and fender tag, ill try n remember what the name was of the company, also have any pics???

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 14, 2007, 05:12:58 PM
there is one place that can amke you a vin tag if you have the paper work and fender tag, ill try n remember what the name was of the company, also have any pics???

Fender tag stolen too...  I'm sure it'll turn-up one day, but....  All I'd have is BODY stamps and Title...

P.S. Punk I tried to respond to your message about the Charger 500, but your inbox was FULL kid. 

hemi68charger

Wow..

Now, that's interesting and I'll be curious to see how this develops.....  Sucks about the fender tag and VIN.......  :-\

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

daytonalo

IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO BUY IT , I WILL GIVE YOU A 5000.00 FINDERS FEE !

hemigeno

To me, a car like that (with "issues") could be worth that much to a Daytona lover that wanted to keep the car.  Anyone who bought the car and expected to flip it for a profit might end up being disappointed.  It would almost always be looked at as less valuable than a similar car without "issues", but it would still be an authentic Daytona to me - at least based on what you're saying.

Any chance you have any contacts in Law Enforcement that can confirm whether or not the car would be confiscated the first time you applied for a license with that VIN?  I know the owner still has the title, but if the car is tied up in some sort of legal proceeding you might not be able to keep possession of it no matter what amount you paid.  If the Insurance Company paid off on the car after it was stolen, did the owner "buy it back" from the Insurance Co. after it was recovered?  Again, the Ins. Co. would have a right to the car if they compensated the owner for its initial loss (even though they would only have paid the owner a fraction of its current value).  Lots of issues to beware of, and a subsequent sale will not automatically negate another party's right to reclaim the car.

If there aren't any ownership issues it might be a perfect car for somebody like Troy or Danny that would love to own a Daytona but aren't interested in what the resale value would be.

Hey Danny, with a car like this (no fender tag) you could fix it up however you wanted to!  R6 Red, red interior, buddy seat, etc...

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

I'd maybe even trade up for a '68 hemi Charger.......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69_500

$50K for a car with no VIN, and no fender tag? Does it have the broadcast sheet? If so then I'd say spend the $50K in a heart beat. Without it, its up to you. Me personally I would. Heck I'd trade a numbers matching Charger 500 for that in a heartbeat.

That is just me though.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: dads_69 on January 14, 2007, 08:48:59 PM
If you have the cash, buy it. You know as well as any of us on line here that you can figure out a way to get through the B.S. and get it certified as a real Daytona. He who hestitates, loses.
Mark
I hear you Mark, I would have already but I need a partner.  A few (3) people here are hitting me up to work something out.

69_500

You need someone to authenticate the car? I know of a few people who are there on the west coast that would do it. Heck I'll be on the west coast in 3 weeks.

Charger Aficionado

O.K. you got a laugh Mark!  :) 
Quote from: 69_500 on January 14, 2007, 08:57:25 PM
You need someone to authenticate the car? I know of a few people who are there on the west coast that would do it. Heck I'll be on the west coast in 3 weeks.
I assume all I need to authenticate the car is the XX title matched with the last 6 of VIN on bodystampings, AND the basics I've learned about XX cars...  View the rear window plug, make sure the nose is Steel, wing aluminum, Aero trim is proper.  etc...  I'll be looking for a jack also, and wing braces...

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2007, 05:40:08 PM

Hey Danny, with a car like this (no fender tag) you could fix it up however you wanted to!  R6 Red, red interior, buddy seat, etc...

Or F6 with white interior......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

daytonalo

What happens when a car shows up and is titled with those vin plates ? After further thought , it is a big gamble , I buy and sell 2-3 cars a week . I look at it this way , ok they steal the car , maybe stash it out of sight , why remove tags ? If the car was spotted , could their be confusion if it was the stolen car . I would bet money that it was the only daytona stolen ever in that area !! maybe the car is 500 , point is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE . Larry O

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: daytonalo on January 14, 2007, 11:46:42 PM
What happens when a car shows up and is titled with those vin plates ? After further thought , it is a big gamble , I buy and sell 2-3 cars a week . I look at it this way , ok they steal the car , maybe stash it out of sight , why remove tags ? If the car was spotted , could their be confusion if it was the stolen car . I would bet money that it was the only daytona stolen ever in that area !! maybe the car is 500 , point is ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE . Larry O

IF that ever happened, I was told that he who holds the TITLE with the oldest date/paperwork wins.  Besides I'd like to see someone come-up with the AUTHENTIC VIN STAMPINGS on a re-bodied car...  Much-less all of the ORIGINAL Daytona equipment (steel nose, aluminum wing, plug, trunklid, aero mouldings, etc...

OneBadSuperbird

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 14, 2007, 05:18:56 PM

Fender tag stolen too...  I'm sure it'll turn-up one day, but....  All I'd have is BODY stamps and Title...

P.S. Punk I tried to respond to your message about the Charger 500, but your inbox was FULL kid. 

www.datatags.com will make you a VIN tag with the proper documentation. 

I got a call from the woman selling that VIN-less purple Daytona a few months back.  I think the original color is some shade of green.  That car has WAY more issues than just a missing VIN.  She wanted $90K for it when she called and was selling due to "medical reasons".  I see the price has dropped considerably.
Save A Rare Rotter Today - Rebody It!

Click on pic to check out the FIVE STAR PRODUCTIONS website!

Charger Aficionado

Well I'm HOPING for 50k RANGE (because of the VIN situation).  I only have her to 65k so-far, but we're talking 50s... I called that Datatag guy,and he said I'm up a creek with the Ca. Laws on re-vining it, but I have some other ideas.  I want to make sure it is COMPLETLEY legal, and I don't have criminal liability. 

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 14, 2007, 09:24:50 PM

Or F6 with white interior......  :icon_smile_big:

Yep, that'd work too   ;D

69_500

Ah so you know about this car then John?

Is the car an automatic or a 4 speed?

mikepmcs

Just buy this one for $275,000 and call it good.  9000 miles, highly documented 2nd owner Daytona.  Someone on here has got to own this one.

Just keep scrolling til you see it.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/dodge.html
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bordin34

I would buy it but if you have any cop friends and can find a VIN somewhere have them run it through the computer to see if it comes up stolen  or already registered.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: OneBadSuperbird on January 15, 2007, 02:22:37 AM
Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 14, 2007, 05:18:56 PM

I got a call from the woman selling that VIN-less purple Daytona a few months back.  I think the original color is some shade of green.  That car has WAY more issues than just a missing VIN.  She wanted $90K for it when she called and was selling due to "medical reasons".  I see the price has dropped considerably.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I remember that car.
Troy

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 15, 2007, 09:49:28 AM
Quote from: OneBadSuperbird on January 15, 2007, 02:22:37 AM

Ahhhhhhhhhh, now I remember that car.

I remembered John's contact with that lady from before also, but I tried to do a search and couldn't find the thread from before (neither on Style nor on here).

Good information, OBS!  What other issues were there, if you don't mind sharing them (again)?

OneBadSuperbird

Troy, I wondered why you didn't remember that car!

Gene, I don't remember everything from the conversation I had with the gal selling the car but I remember her asking me if wing cars came with fibergalss body parts.  When I told her the wing was aluminum and the nose was steel, she got all huffy and said that virtually everyone she talked to had assured her that the parts were originally fiberglass.  She was clearly not happy with my answer and asked me for Doug Schellinger's number so she could take it to a higher level.  I felt like customer service when the customer asks to speak to a supervisor! 

At this point, I asked if the parts were indeed fiberglass and I don't recall what she said about the wing but the nose was definitely fiberglass.  She didn't have a VIN number to rattle off and that immediately popped up the red flag that this car may have originally been a Charger 500. 

She did mention some other stuff that got my attention about the car but I'm not recalling them at the moment.  I do know that I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole even at $30K unless some really thorough legal documentation was done on it. 

rich4406bbl

There was an article in Hemmings Muscle Machines a few months back about a fraudulent 'Cuda. I'm sorry that I no longer have the magazine. It may be available as a back issue from Hemmings. Anyway, the gist of my comment is that the state of NY wound up issuing it a title but it was in no way, shape or form a VIN from Chrysler. It was in a format from that state. You may have to go that route depending on the documentation that you have and what they would need to verify it. I'd be a bit leary of a repro VIN tag on a car. If it's spotted then you may have a lot explaining to do.

Charger Aficionado

Ewwwwww Ugly.  I'm going to go look at it Thursday.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 15, 2007, 11:45:35 AM
Ewwwwww Ugly.  I'm going to go look at it Thursday.

Jude, the seq. number should give you a ball-park if it's a C500 or Daytona.... I'll go look into my past emails and see if I see anything about the car.. If memory serves, it had a lower seq' number representative of a C500.........

Troy
Troy

Aero426

To me, a car like that (with "issues") could be worth that much to a Daytona lover that wanted to keep the car.  Anyone who bought the car and expected to flip it for a profit might end up being disappointed.  It would almost always be looked at as less valuable than a similar car without "issues", but it would still be an authentic Daytona to me - at least based on what you're saying.

Any chance you have any contacts in Law Enforcement that can confirm whether or not the car would be confiscated the first time you applied for a license with that VIN?  I know the owner still has the title, but if the car is tied up in some sort of legal proceeding you might not be able to keep possession of it no matter what amount you paid.  If the Insurance Company paid off on the car after it was stolen, did the owner "buy it back" from the Insurance Co. after it was recovered?  Again, the Ins. Co. would have a right to the car if they compensated the owner for its initial loss (even though they would only have paid the owner a fraction of its current value).  Lots of issues to beware of, and a subsequent sale will not automatically negate another party's right to reclaim the car.

If there aren't any ownership issues it might be a perfect car for somebody like Troy or Danny that would love to own a Daytona but aren't interested in what the resale value would be.

Good points, especially about potential problems with an past insurer.  And this can apply to any car you buy.  There was recently a story in Sports Car Market of a Shelby Mustang stolen in the late 70's and paid off by the insurance company.  The car surfaced recently "for sale" and when the Shelby VIN was run through the Shelby Registry by an enthusiast, it came up as "stolen in 1979".   The current owner has had the car since 1980 and bought it as a legit piece, with a title and all.  As Geno suggested, the insurance company that paid off in 1979 wanted its car back. 

That Daytona without a VIN scares me - a lot for what might be lurking in the closet.  I would think getting a state issued VIN would not be a problem.  It'll never be "right", but that's why the discount.

69_500

Dead give aways between the Daytona and 500 VIN's so something like that would be easily spotted.

The VON would also be a dead give away. However without a fender tag there wouldn't be a VON to look at. Just the last 6 digits of the VIN would tell if its a 500 or a Daytona.

Charger Aficionado

Well the husband wouldn't give me the VIN, but wife promises first half of last 6 tommorow.   So...  We'll seeeeee...

hemigeno

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 15, 2007, 03:57:22 PM
Well the husband wouldn't give me the VIN, but wife promises first half of last 6 tommorow.   So...  We'll seeeeee...

If we just have the first digit of the last six that would be enough to tell if it was a C500 or a Daytona.  There's only one exception to that "rule", and the whereabouts of that car are already known.

Charger Aficionado

hemigeno

No, 355 is just fine for a Daytona -- in fact, there were about 56 cars with 355 VINs.  The exception is a single 287 car - and this car would not be it.  Long story behind that one...

hemigeno

In general:

An XX29 car with a VIN sequence number beginning with 1 or 2 is a C500.

If the sequence number begins with 3 or 4, it's a Daytona. 

As mentioned before, there's only one exception to that general rule, and there's a story about why that is the case.

One more thing... it is entirely possible that the VIN of a C500 might be "new" to the people that keep track of those cars.  It is not, however, likely that a Daytona's VIN would be "new" to me or anyone else who follows those particular cars.  So far, I have found only a single exception to the Shipment List, and it was a missing number from the middle of a sequential run of VIN's (so it made sense when that particular VIN showed up in another source).

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

OneBadSuperbird

I'm having flashbacks of my brief conversation with the gal selling that car.  I'd love to have another "chat" with her.

If those first three digits of the last six are anything lower than 355, I'd totally unleash on em and tell em that $20K is your final offer.

Aero426

Quote from: OneBadSuperbird on January 15, 2007, 04:18:02 PM
I'm having flashbacks of my brief conversation with the gal selling that car.  I'd love to have another "chat" with her.

If those first three digits of the last six are anything lower than 355, I'd totally unleash on em and tell em that $20K is your final offer.

The conversation I had with the lady was brief, and it seemed that not everything was out on the table regarding the car.  Usually when people call me for advice, they lay the cards on the table without a lot of prodding on my part.

69_500

If the VIN is between the 249xxx rang and 354xxx range though it wouldn't be either a 500 or a Daytona. :)

62 Max

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 15, 2007, 09:17:15 AM

Just buy this one for $275,000 and call it good.  9000 miles, highly documented 2nd owner Daytona.  Someone on here has got to own this one.

Just keep scrolling til you see it.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/dodge.html
  Actually that car is this car.

**Inactive Link Removed**

mikepmcs

I don't think that is the car Jude is talking about in the very first post on this thread.  This one has a VIN number.  Maybe i'm confused but he is talking about one that has no VIN or something.

I'm lost now, but i'm slow anyways.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

Mike,

Bill/62Max was just posting a link to the old eBay auction for the car listed in your earlier reply (the 9k mile car for $275k).  Certainly not the same car as the one Jude might have a shot at.

We'll all be interested to see if they give C/A the partial VIN number, and/or how the car looks on Thursday...

:popcrn:

Charger1973

Why only a partial VIN number?  Sounds like they are trying to hide something now matter how you look at it.  If the seller wont even tell you the VIN of a vehicle you are willing to pay $50k plus for...  somethings not right. 

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: charger1973 on January 15, 2007, 07:46:34 PM
Why only a partial VIN number?  Sounds like they are trying to hide something now matter how you look at it.  If the seller wont even tell you the VIN of a vehicle you are willing to pay $50k plus for...  somethings not right. 

I SORTA understand why they would have some secrecy since it has no VIN (don't want to get it black-listed as a Re-Vinned Car.  I am REALLY thinking it is a 500 now, but am supposed to get Numbers tomorrow.

Old Moparz

Maybe this is too simple, but I would consider drafting up a simple contract based on the car being owned free & clear, as well as legally. For something in that price range, I would seriously consider a lawyer to handle it, & possibly have the money held in escrow until the car is proven to be legit. This isn't a $500 parts car you can afford to gamble on. If the seller doesn't agree to any of it, then there could be a serious problem that the car is a fake, or has legal issues.

1)   Contract written that basically has both parties listed by name, the VIN number of the "Daytona" & the wording as such that the car must not have been fraudulently acquired.

2)   Full refund to buyer & the vehicle back to the seller if it turns out that the car has been stolen, or that it eventually determined to be a fake Daytona.

3)   Notarized documents, pencil tracings of the numbers & photos of anything & everything you can get.

The DMV can issue a state VIN tag if the car turns out to be real. The wing car community seems small enough, & armed with enough info about all the aero cars to consider this one as part of the group whether it had a correct & original tag, or the state tag. (That's if it turns out to be a real one.) People have no problem buying cars that don't have the original numbers matching engine, so what difference does it make if it's a legally owned car with a state DMV tag? It wouldn't bother me one bit if the car was free & clear of legal issues & lost the VIN tag.

It wasn't that long ago that houses sold for what the selling price of this car is. Would you buy a freakin' house without the proper research to know it's owned legally & without a lien? No, the lawyer & the paperwork that gets done at the closing with the title insurance & the deed recording clarifies all that & you pay for it. Why not pay to clarify this, unless you're totally blinded by the potential dollar increase from a resale & don't want it to cut into the profit margin?
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nascarxx29

There is a certain B5 blue daytona of DR Springers stolen in 1991.Never recovered
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger Aficionado

Well Troy, your memory served you RIGHT.  Car is a C500.  VIN starts with 155

Buyers paid too much for it thinking it was a TRUE Daytona.  He's going to loose money on it no matter what. 

Charger1973

They get ripped off and now they are trying to unload it and rip the next guy off too?   :rotz:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 16, 2007, 04:47:59 PM
Well Troy, your memory served you RIGHT.  Car is a C500.  VIN starts with 155

Buyers paid too much for it thinking it was a TRUE Daytona.  He's going to loose money on it no matter what. 

Okay, so even if it's not a Daytona & it is a legit C-500, does anyone know if the vehicle is still legally owned? Regardless of what the car is worth, & whether the seller is going to lose money, as long as it can be proven to be real & a state issued VIN can be obtained, how much difference will it make to someone that wants it?

Was it always accounted for as a complete car?

Was the car a victim of a rebody or were the tags actually stolen?

I'm just curious about how this works since there's always a big argument over the "rebody" topic. This car could be a guideline of what can be done as far as legally getting a VIN issued for it & since it appears that many people are familiar with it, it can be followed from owner to owner in the future.

Like I stated in my other post, if the car was legal & it was something I wanted & could afford, I'd buy it & get a state issued VIN & it wouldn't bother me at all.
               Bob                

Charger Aficionado

ORIGINAL STYLE VIN can be obtained through datatags.com   It can be LEGALLY AFFIXED by CHP do to a Ca. law which PERMITS LEGAL OWNERS TO RECOVER REPRODUCTION TAGS.  This info and law sections/subsections were provided to me by the owner of datatags.com
The man there was VERY knowlegable about the laws.  He said I was LUCKY I lived in Ca. (in-order to have it re-VINned). 

Quote from: charger1973 on January 16, 2007, 05:04:14 PM
They get ripped off and now they are trying to unload it and rip the next guy off too?   :rotz:
At 75k YES, they were trying to pass it off as a Legit vehicle without VIN.  They FINALLY FREAKING ADMITTED THAT THEY KNEW THAT THE DAMNED THING HAD FIBERGLASS PARTS, AND FINALLY GAVE ME THE 155 VIN!!!!! UGGGGGH WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 16, 2007, 05:44:40 PM
ORIGINAL STYLE VIN can be obtained through datatags.com   It can be LEGALLY AFFIXED by CHP do to a Ca. law which PERMITS LEGAL OWNERS TO RECOVER REPRODUCTION TAGS.  This info and law sections/subsections were provided to me by the owner of datatags.com
The man there was VERY knowlegable about the laws.  He said I was LUCKY I lived in Ca. (in-order to have it re-VINned). 

Quote from: charger1973 on January 16, 2007, 05:04:14 PM
At 75k YES, they were trying to pass it off as a Legit vehicle without VIN.  They FINALLY FREAKING ADMITTED THAT THEY KNEW THAT THE DAMNED THING HAD FIBERGLASS PARTS, AND FINALLY GAVE ME THE 155 VIN!!!!! UGGGGGH WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!!

Jude..
Thank goodness for places like this. For me personally, John, Steve and Geno saved me from doing something stupid with my '68 to get this car.. It could have been much worse... I would think these people, whether knowing or not about it being a C500, would know information about these rare cars is exchanged and we all look out for each other....

Instead of "buyer beware", it should be "seller beware"...

Troy
Troy

mikepmcs

I often wonder if there is another forum this tightly joined that looks out for their members like this one.

Do Camaro's, Mustang, etc... owner's  hold pride like this.  I guess maybe, but it just doesn't seem like it would be the same.

Just babbling, sorry

69_500

No chance on getting the rest of the VIN I take it? I only have information on 4 vehicles with a 155 start to the last 6 digits. They don't run sequentially either. There is a gap between 2 of the numbers and the other three go in order. I'll PM you the numbers close to that if you want Jude.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 16, 2007, 05:44:40 PM

WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!!

Not really Jude, look at the positive side. Whether you intended to or not, although you may have been disappointed at the discovery, there's probably a handful of people who were able to use this info as a way to learn more about a problem car that exists. It also seems to have backed up a few opinions & bits of info that some members had already had on the car. Kind of like how the registries keep records of past cars, every now & then someone gets their butt saved when a bogus, a problem, or just a questionable car surfaces.

This is a type of problem that can happen to other cars, not just Daytonas & C-500's. You can use a less expensive car for someone with a smaller budget, or maybe a first time buyer as an example. They want a Charger R/T project & are ready to spend $10K that they saved for years on one. They find one that has had the VIN tags tampered with, but have been told the same story you were & go ahead & buy into it. The car turns out to be an original 318 car, but the buyer didn't know & got ripped off whether the seller knew or not.

Instead of a $10K Charger R/T project that has investment potential, all the have is a base model with a big headache of getting papers on it & they may never break even. I'm dead set against the "rebody" thing in general, & this is one of many reasons why. And make note that I am not calling the subject Daytona in this thread a rebody, just a car with attached headaches & less value to a larger number of people. I'd still like to know the details of how it ended up like this.
               Bob                

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 69_500 on January 16, 2007, 07:06:26 PM
No chance on getting the rest of the VIN I take it? I only have information on 4 vehicles with a 155 start to the last 6 digits. They don't run sequentially either. There is a gap between 2 of the numbers and the other three go in order. I'll PM you the numbers close to that if you want Jude.
I may put it on eBay for the guy.  (I feel bad for him), and I think I can promote it RIGHT (For what it IS). 

Quote from: 69_500 on January 16, 2007, 07:06:26 PM
I'd still like to know the details of how it ended up like this.
Owner before this guy had it in a shop, and some jack@ss ripped-off the VIN and fender tags.  I told the owner to go post "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" reward flyers up at the old bodyshop...   

nascarxx29

You reminded of this car charger Aficionado when you mentioned someone lifted off the daytona serial numbers.http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18858.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Old Moparz

Bob                

69_500

What about the radiator core support? Is it still present in the car? Or the trunk lip? Both places will have the last 6 digits of the VIN. Which would make it much easier to identify.

If you do wind up helping them post it on ebay, shoot me a link when you get it up okay.

mikepmcs

Where's the link to it??  I didn't see it on e bay???

v/r
Mike

Aero426

I am not shooting the mesenger here, but 45k still seems like a lot for a car with the wrong front clip, wrong drivetrain, no back glass, and ahem.,, no VIN on the dash.    "I'm gonna get one made" is rather iffy until it's on the dash with the correct rivets.  Rust free is a plus, but that car sure seems to have a lot of stories...

Old Moparz

Quote from: DougSchellinger on January 17, 2007, 11:30:53 PM
I am not shooting the mesenger here, but 45k still seems like a lot for a car with the wrong front clip, wrong drivetrain, no back glass, and ahem.,, no VIN on the dash.    "I'm gonna get one made" is rather iffy until it's on the dash with the correct rivets.  Rust free is a plus, but that car sure seems to have a lot of stories...

This has me thinking of one more thing. As a seller, why not go through the effort to secure the proper paper work, VIN tags, rivets, & make the vehicle much easier to sell? Especially for a car with a price tag as high as this one. I've done it for a car I sold that was less than $1000, so for a car at $45K+ it should be done already.
               Bob                

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: dads_69 on January 17, 2007, 08:22:55 PM
Mr. Charger Aficionado posted it in the for sale adds. Weird, just weird. Like said, as won who has so much info. about chargers, that person would know to look at the core support, trunk jamb areas for further info. vs asking us here. I see in his add he listed vin matches two other areas on car, but it also says *if he had a hankering for a Daytona*. Reading from the begging of this topic to now, it all seams strange. It also says 45 price ? vs. 50 to 60 now. I guess now that we know its not a real Daytona per-say, it ain't worth but what, make an offer of say 30 grand? Photos would be nice also.
Mark

O.K. wow.  I haven't even wasted my time to go see it.  They would not give me the numbers at all until now (when I talk them into giving me the 1st 3).  Actually, I have never researched Daytona VINs, since they are out of my budget, so I came here to ask the Daytona experts (not you).  And Yes I am very aware of the VIN locations.  (Again: > haven't seen vehicle).

So now, the reason I'm offering to help the guy sell it, is BECAUSE SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET SHAFTED IF THEY ARE AS IGNORANT AS THE GUY WHO PURCHASED IT.  I can list the thing with the strong-points it has and probably help the guy break-even at least rather than loosing, while keeping it on the "up and up" with the public.  Plus, I'm just addicted to these cars...  So... go figure.

The hankering comment meant re-building it as a 500 Vs. a Dayclona.  (refering to how ANYONE was hankering on rebuilding it)...  He over-paid (40k), and I'm not interested in the LEAST in purchasing it.  I purchased an ULTRA-RARE #'s matching 500 S.E. for well under 10k, if I wanted to, I would have Daycloned that since I paid so little.  (However the 500 S.E. is going back stock minus the deep dish wheel covers).  I really wish I could find a BASKET CASE C500 cheap to make a Dayclona out of... Allthough I wouldn't waste my money on fiberglass, I would purchase the steel nose, and aluminum wing instead. 

Everytime I try to help someone out I get some parinoid person who thinks of me badly...  What gives?  (directed to Dad's 69)... Mark, don't you see my actions as a GOOD thing???  Now that someone is accusing me of being "funny" about something, I'll just let it go, and let someone get ripped-off... Feel better now?  wow.  I'm lost on where all that came from...

Yes, Old Mopars, I did recommend that to him.  (get the VIN fixed first). 

Charger Aficionado

69_500

I think I'll try to give him a call, not to purchase the car, but rather just to see about documenting it in the list of known 500 VIN's.

69_500

I do have one more question about the car before I call him. In your add for the car you say it has a 440 from a 1970 RR? If so, then it would be a 6 pac block correct? As there were no 440 4 bbl RoadRunners in 1970 correct?

Ghoste

Actually, GG says there is one known to exist.  Not that it matters.  ;D

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 69_500 on January 18, 2007, 08:24:20 PM
I do have one more question about the car before I call him. In your add for the car you say it has a 440 from a 1970 RR? If so, then it would be a 6 pac block correct? As there were no 440 4 bbl RoadRunners in 1970 correct?

That's what I was told, but it's probably just out of a motorhome for all I can tell... CALL HIM.  I don't know.