News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VINless DAYTONA for 50-60k (range).

Started by Charger Aficionado, January 14, 2007, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Ewwwwww Ugly.  I'm going to go look at it Thursday.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 15, 2007, 11:45:35 AM
Ewwwwww Ugly.  I'm going to go look at it Thursday.

Jude, the seq. number should give you a ball-park if it's a C500 or Daytona.... I'll go look into my past emails and see if I see anything about the car.. If memory serves, it had a lower seq' number representative of a C500.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on January 14, 2007, 05:40:08 PM
To me, a car like that (with "issues") could be worth that much to a Daytona lover that wanted to keep the car.  Anyone who bought the car and expected to flip it for a profit might end up being disappointed.  It would almost always be looked at as less valuable than a similar car without "issues", but it would still be an authentic Daytona to me - at least based on what you're saying.

Any chance you have any contacts in Law Enforcement that can confirm whether or not the car would be confiscated the first time you applied for a license with that VIN?  I know the owner still has the title, but if the car is tied up in some sort of legal proceeding you might not be able to keep possession of it no matter what amount you paid.  If the Insurance Company paid off on the car after it was stolen, did the owner "buy it back" from the Insurance Co. after it was recovered?  Again, the Ins. Co. would have a right to the car if they compensated the owner for its initial loss (even though they would only have paid the owner a fraction of its current value).  Lots of issues to beware of, and a subsequent sale will not automatically negate another party's right to reclaim the car.

If there aren't any ownership issues it might be a perfect car for somebody like Troy or Danny that would love to own a Daytona but aren't interested in what the resale value would be.

Hey Danny, with a car like this (no fender tag) you could fix it up however you wanted to!  R6 Red, red interior, buddy seat, etc...

Good points, especially about potential problems with an past insurer.  And this can apply to any car you buy.  There was recently a story in Sports Car Market of a Shelby Mustang stolen in the late 70's and paid off by the insurance company.  The car surfaced recently "for sale" and when the Shelby VIN was run through the Shelby Registry by an enthusiast, it came up as "stolen in 1979".   The current owner has had the car since 1980 and bought it as a legit piece, with a title and all.  As Geno suggested, the insurance company that paid off in 1979 wanted its car back. 

That Daytona without a VIN scares me - a lot for what might be lurking in the closet.  I would think getting a state issued VIN would not be a problem.  It'll never be "right", but that's why the discount.

69_500

Dead give aways between the Daytona and 500 VIN's so something like that would be easily spotted.

The VON would also be a dead give away. However without a fender tag there wouldn't be a VON to look at. Just the last 6 digits of the VIN would tell if its a 500 or a Daytona.

Charger Aficionado

Well the husband wouldn't give me the VIN, but wife promises first half of last 6 tommorow.   So...  We'll seeeeee...

hemigeno

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 15, 2007, 03:57:22 PM
Well the husband wouldn't give me the VIN, but wife promises first half of last 6 tommorow.   So...  We'll seeeeee...

If we just have the first digit of the last six that would be enough to tell if it was a C500 or a Daytona.  There's only one exception to that "rule", and the whereabouts of that car are already known.

Charger Aficionado

hemigeno

No, 355 is just fine for a Daytona -- in fact, there were about 56 cars with 355 VINs.  The exception is a single 287 car - and this car would not be it.  Long story behind that one...

hemigeno

In general:

An XX29 car with a VIN sequence number beginning with 1 or 2 is a C500.

If the sequence number begins with 3 or 4, it's a Daytona. 

As mentioned before, there's only one exception to that general rule, and there's a story about why that is the case.

One more thing... it is entirely possible that the VIN of a C500 might be "new" to the people that keep track of those cars.  It is not, however, likely that a Daytona's VIN would be "new" to me or anyone else who follows those particular cars.  So far, I have found only a single exception to the Shipment List, and it was a missing number from the middle of a sequential run of VIN's (so it made sense when that particular VIN showed up in another source).

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

OneBadSuperbird

I'm having flashbacks of my brief conversation with the gal selling that car.  I'd love to have another "chat" with her.

If those first three digits of the last six are anything lower than 355, I'd totally unleash on em and tell em that $20K is your final offer.
Save A Rare Rotter Today - Rebody It!

Click on pic to check out the FIVE STAR PRODUCTIONS website!

Aero426

Quote from: OneBadSuperbird on January 15, 2007, 04:18:02 PM
I'm having flashbacks of my brief conversation with the gal selling that car.  I'd love to have another "chat" with her.

If those first three digits of the last six are anything lower than 355, I'd totally unleash on em and tell em that $20K is your final offer.

The conversation I had with the lady was brief, and it seemed that not everything was out on the table regarding the car.  Usually when people call me for advice, they lay the cards on the table without a lot of prodding on my part.

69_500

If the VIN is between the 249xxx rang and 354xxx range though it wouldn't be either a 500 or a Daytona. :)

62 Max

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 15, 2007, 09:17:15 AM

Just buy this one for $275,000 and call it good.  9000 miles, highly documented 2nd owner Daytona.  Someone on here has got to own this one.

Just keep scrolling til you see it.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/dodge.html
  Actually that car is this car.

**Inactive Link Removed**

mikepmcs

I don't think that is the car Jude is talking about in the very first post on this thread.  This one has a VIN number.  Maybe i'm confused but he is talking about one that has no VIN or something.

I'm lost now, but i'm slow anyways.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

Mike,

Bill/62Max was just posting a link to the old eBay auction for the car listed in your earlier reply (the 9k mile car for $275k).  Certainly not the same car as the one Jude might have a shot at.

We'll all be interested to see if they give C/A the partial VIN number, and/or how the car looks on Thursday...

:popcrn:

Charger1973

Why only a partial VIN number?  Sounds like they are trying to hide something now matter how you look at it.  If the seller wont even tell you the VIN of a vehicle you are willing to pay $50k plus for...  somethings not right. 

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: charger1973 on January 15, 2007, 07:46:34 PM
Why only a partial VIN number?  Sounds like they are trying to hide something now matter how you look at it.  If the seller wont even tell you the VIN of a vehicle you are willing to pay $50k plus for...  somethings not right. 

I SORTA understand why they would have some secrecy since it has no VIN (don't want to get it black-listed as a Re-Vinned Car.  I am REALLY thinking it is a 500 now, but am supposed to get Numbers tomorrow.

Old Moparz

Maybe this is too simple, but I would consider drafting up a simple contract based on the car being owned free & clear, as well as legally. For something in that price range, I would seriously consider a lawyer to handle it, & possibly have the money held in escrow until the car is proven to be legit. This isn't a $500 parts car you can afford to gamble on. If the seller doesn't agree to any of it, then there could be a serious problem that the car is a fake, or has legal issues.

1)   Contract written that basically has both parties listed by name, the VIN number of the "Daytona" & the wording as such that the car must not have been fraudulently acquired.

2)   Full refund to buyer & the vehicle back to the seller if it turns out that the car has been stolen, or that it eventually determined to be a fake Daytona.

3)   Notarized documents, pencil tracings of the numbers & photos of anything & everything you can get.

The DMV can issue a state VIN tag if the car turns out to be real. The wing car community seems small enough, & armed with enough info about all the aero cars to consider this one as part of the group whether it had a correct & original tag, or the state tag. (That's if it turns out to be a real one.) People have no problem buying cars that don't have the original numbers matching engine, so what difference does it make if it's a legally owned car with a state DMV tag? It wouldn't bother me one bit if the car was free & clear of legal issues & lost the VIN tag.

It wasn't that long ago that houses sold for what the selling price of this car is. Would you buy a freakin' house without the proper research to know it's owned legally & without a lien? No, the lawyer & the paperwork that gets done at the closing with the title insurance & the deed recording clarifies all that & you pay for it. Why not pay to clarify this, unless you're totally blinded by the potential dollar increase from a resale & don't want it to cut into the profit margin?
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nascarxx29

There is a certain B5 blue daytona of DR Springers stolen in 1991.Never recovered
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger Aficionado

Well Troy, your memory served you RIGHT.  Car is a C500.  VIN starts with 155

Buyers paid too much for it thinking it was a TRUE Daytona.  He's going to loose money on it no matter what. 

Charger1973

They get ripped off and now they are trying to unload it and rip the next guy off too?   :rotz:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 16, 2007, 04:47:59 PM
Well Troy, your memory served you RIGHT.  Car is a C500.  VIN starts with 155

Buyers paid too much for it thinking it was a TRUE Daytona.  He's going to loose money on it no matter what. 

Okay, so even if it's not a Daytona & it is a legit C-500, does anyone know if the vehicle is still legally owned? Regardless of what the car is worth, & whether the seller is going to lose money, as long as it can be proven to be real & a state issued VIN can be obtained, how much difference will it make to someone that wants it?

Was it always accounted for as a complete car?

Was the car a victim of a rebody or were the tags actually stolen?

I'm just curious about how this works since there's always a big argument over the "rebody" topic. This car could be a guideline of what can be done as far as legally getting a VIN issued for it & since it appears that many people are familiar with it, it can be followed from owner to owner in the future.

Like I stated in my other post, if the car was legal & it was something I wanted & could afford, I'd buy it & get a state issued VIN & it wouldn't bother me at all.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger Aficionado

ORIGINAL STYLE VIN can be obtained through datatags.com   It can be LEGALLY AFFIXED by CHP do to a Ca. law which PERMITS LEGAL OWNERS TO RECOVER REPRODUCTION TAGS.  This info and law sections/subsections were provided to me by the owner of datatags.com
The man there was VERY knowlegable about the laws.  He said I was LUCKY I lived in Ca. (in-order to have it re-VINned). 

Quote from: charger1973 on January 16, 2007, 05:04:14 PM
They get ripped off and now they are trying to unload it and rip the next guy off too?   :rotz:
At 75k YES, they were trying to pass it off as a Legit vehicle without VIN.  They FINALLY FREAKING ADMITTED THAT THEY KNEW THAT THE DAMNED THING HAD FIBERGLASS PARTS, AND FINALLY GAVE ME THE 155 VIN!!!!! UGGGGGH WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 16, 2007, 05:44:40 PM
ORIGINAL STYLE VIN can be obtained through datatags.com   It can be LEGALLY AFFIXED by CHP do to a Ca. law which PERMITS LEGAL OWNERS TO RECOVER REPRODUCTION TAGS.  This info and law sections/subsections were provided to me by the owner of datatags.com
The man there was VERY knowlegable about the laws.  He said I was LUCKY I lived in Ca. (in-order to have it re-VINned). 

Quote from: charger1973 on January 16, 2007, 05:04:14 PM
At 75k YES, they were trying to pass it off as a Legit vehicle without VIN.  They FINALLY FREAKING ADMITTED THAT THEY KNEW THAT THE DAMNED THING HAD FIBERGLASS PARTS, AND FINALLY GAVE ME THE 155 VIN!!!!! UGGGGGH WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!!

Jude..
Thank goodness for places like this. For me personally, John, Steve and Geno saved me from doing something stupid with my '68 to get this car.. It could have been much worse... I would think these people, whether knowing or not about it being a C500, would know information about these rare cars is exchanged and we all look out for each other....

Instead of "buyer beware", it should be "seller beware"...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection