News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VINless DAYTONA for 50-60k (range).

Started by Charger Aficionado, January 14, 2007, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

I often wonder if there is another forum this tightly joined that looks out for their members like this one.

Do Camaro's, Mustang, etc... owner's  hold pride like this.  I guess maybe, but it just doesn't seem like it would be the same.

Just babbling, sorry

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69_500

No chance on getting the rest of the VIN I take it? I only have information on 4 vehicles with a 155 start to the last 6 digits. They don't run sequentially either. There is a gap between 2 of the numbers and the other three go in order. I'll PM you the numbers close to that if you want Jude.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 16, 2007, 05:44:40 PM

WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!!

Not really Jude, look at the positive side. Whether you intended to or not, although you may have been disappointed at the discovery, there's probably a handful of people who were able to use this info as a way to learn more about a problem car that exists. It also seems to have backed up a few opinions & bits of info that some members had already had on the car. Kind of like how the registries keep records of past cars, every now & then someone gets their butt saved when a bogus, a problem, or just a questionable car surfaces.

This is a type of problem that can happen to other cars, not just Daytonas & C-500's. You can use a less expensive car for someone with a smaller budget, or maybe a first time buyer as an example. They want a Charger R/T project & are ready to spend $10K that they saved for years on one. They find one that has had the VIN tags tampered with, but have been told the same story you were & go ahead & buy into it. The car turns out to be an original 318 car, but the buyer didn't know & got ripped off whether the seller knew or not.

Instead of a $10K Charger R/T project that has investment potential, all the have is a base model with a big headache of getting papers on it & they may never break even. I'm dead set against the "rebody" thing in general, & this is one of many reasons why. And make note that I am not calling the subject Daytona in this thread a rebody, just a car with attached headaches & less value to a larger number of people. I'd still like to know the details of how it ended up like this.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 69_500 on January 16, 2007, 07:06:26 PM
No chance on getting the rest of the VIN I take it? I only have information on 4 vehicles with a 155 start to the last 6 digits. They don't run sequentially either. There is a gap between 2 of the numbers and the other three go in order. I'll PM you the numbers close to that if you want Jude.
I may put it on eBay for the guy.  (I feel bad for him), and I think I can promote it RIGHT (For what it IS). 

Quote from: 69_500 on January 16, 2007, 07:06:26 PM
I'd still like to know the details of how it ended up like this.
Owner before this guy had it in a shop, and some jack@ss ripped-off the VIN and fender tags.  I told the owner to go post "NO QUESTIONS ASKED" reward flyers up at the old bodyshop...   

nascarxx29

You reminded of this car charger Aficionado when you mentioned someone lifted off the daytona serial numbers.http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18858.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Old Moparz

Bob                

69_500

What about the radiator core support? Is it still present in the car? Or the trunk lip? Both places will have the last 6 digits of the VIN. Which would make it much easier to identify.

If you do wind up helping them post it on ebay, shoot me a link when you get it up okay.

mikepmcs

Where's the link to it??  I didn't see it on e bay???

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Aero426

I am not shooting the mesenger here, but 45k still seems like a lot for a car with the wrong front clip, wrong drivetrain, no back glass, and ahem.,, no VIN on the dash.    "I'm gonna get one made" is rather iffy until it's on the dash with the correct rivets.  Rust free is a plus, but that car sure seems to have a lot of stories...

Old Moparz

Quote from: DougSchellinger on January 17, 2007, 11:30:53 PM
I am not shooting the mesenger here, but 45k still seems like a lot for a car with the wrong front clip, wrong drivetrain, no back glass, and ahem.,, no VIN on the dash.    "I'm gonna get one made" is rather iffy until it's on the dash with the correct rivets.  Rust free is a plus, but that car sure seems to have a lot of stories...

This has me thinking of one more thing. As a seller, why not go through the effort to secure the proper paper work, VIN tags, rivets, & make the vehicle much easier to sell? Especially for a car with a price tag as high as this one. I've done it for a car I sold that was less than $1000, so for a car at $45K+ it should be done already.
               Bob                

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: dads_69 on January 17, 2007, 08:22:55 PM
Mr. Charger Aficionado posted it in the for sale adds. Weird, just weird. Like said, as won who has so much info. about chargers, that person would know to look at the core support, trunk jamb areas for further info. vs asking us here. I see in his add he listed vin matches two other areas on car, but it also says *if he had a hankering for a Daytona*. Reading from the begging of this topic to now, it all seams strange. It also says 45 price ? vs. 50 to 60 now. I guess now that we know its not a real Daytona per-say, it ain't worth but what, make an offer of say 30 grand? Photos would be nice also.
Mark

O.K. wow.  I haven't even wasted my time to go see it.  They would not give me the numbers at all until now (when I talk them into giving me the 1st 3).  Actually, I have never researched Daytona VINs, since they are out of my budget, so I came here to ask the Daytona experts (not you).  And Yes I am very aware of the VIN locations.  (Again: > haven't seen vehicle).

So now, the reason I'm offering to help the guy sell it, is BECAUSE SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET SHAFTED IF THEY ARE AS IGNORANT AS THE GUY WHO PURCHASED IT.  I can list the thing with the strong-points it has and probably help the guy break-even at least rather than loosing, while keeping it on the "up and up" with the public.  Plus, I'm just addicted to these cars...  So... go figure.

The hankering comment meant re-building it as a 500 Vs. a Dayclona.  (refering to how ANYONE was hankering on rebuilding it)...  He over-paid (40k), and I'm not interested in the LEAST in purchasing it.  I purchased an ULTRA-RARE #'s matching 500 S.E. for well under 10k, if I wanted to, I would have Daycloned that since I paid so little.  (However the 500 S.E. is going back stock minus the deep dish wheel covers).  I really wish I could find a BASKET CASE C500 cheap to make a Dayclona out of... Allthough I wouldn't waste my money on fiberglass, I would purchase the steel nose, and aluminum wing instead. 

Everytime I try to help someone out I get some parinoid person who thinks of me badly...  What gives?  (directed to Dad's 69)... Mark, don't you see my actions as a GOOD thing???  Now that someone is accusing me of being "funny" about something, I'll just let it go, and let someone get ripped-off... Feel better now?  wow.  I'm lost on where all that came from...

Yes, Old Mopars, I did recommend that to him.  (get the VIN fixed first). 

Charger Aficionado

69_500

I think I'll try to give him a call, not to purchase the car, but rather just to see about documenting it in the list of known 500 VIN's.

69_500

I do have one more question about the car before I call him. In your add for the car you say it has a 440 from a 1970 RR? If so, then it would be a 6 pac block correct? As there were no 440 4 bbl RoadRunners in 1970 correct?

Ghoste

Actually, GG says there is one known to exist.  Not that it matters.  ;D

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 69_500 on January 18, 2007, 08:24:20 PM
I do have one more question about the car before I call him. In your add for the car you say it has a 440 from a 1970 RR? If so, then it would be a 6 pac block correct? As there were no 440 4 bbl RoadRunners in 1970 correct?

That's what I was told, but it's probably just out of a motorhome for all I can tell... CALL HIM.  I don't know.