News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TEXTURED ORGANISOL BLACK OR SATIN BLACK

Started by towman, January 18, 2007, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towman

im building a 69 charger and i have asked a 4 or 5 people and got 4 or 5 answers. i had always thought it was satin black then i saw lee1 at an auto show in indy last month and it has the organisol textured black and it looks good. but i called www.totallyautoinc.com about geting some and they claim to be expert's and from their web page that looks to be ture . but when i look in www.autocolorlibray.com the ppg chart it says area between the tail lights on a charger organisol black ? witch is right?

satin black

organisol textured black

Lord Warlock

Mines always been textured looking, never shiny, mine is still all original with factory coating.  Kind of hard to squeeze back there with a camera right now. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

JimShine

In this thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,17964.0.html

We see paperwork stating that St. Louis cars get low gloss black and the rest get Organosol. Lee1 was a Hamtramck car, so Organosol is correct no matter what.

On the 69 registry site we see a generic service bulletin stating Organosol only.

Note how the first sheet is dated 5-1968 and the second 1-1969. It is likely the bulletin below reflected a revision.

towman

thanks JIM SHINE i knew you knew but like i said the paint place acted like i was a nut they said they were experts, but i know you are the expert i knew before i made this post, but anyway now others will know so they have the chance to can get it right if they want to im glad i met you JIM and found out about this before i painted mine. thank you

resq302

Be careful with what you hear from Totally Auto, Inc. as when I called for their black organisol spray can, the lady who was on the phone got into an arguement with me stating that 68-70 Chargers were a smooth semi flat black when I was looking at the Tech Service Bulletin right as I was talking to her.  That was the one and only time that I have ordered from them.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

JimShine

It was great to meet you man! Hey, extra research is a good thing! Now you have factory paperwork supporting what was used, so you have an edge.

We used autocolorlibrary.com to get the Organosol. If you really have to have a spray can, just buy a pint of Organosol and use a Preval spray unit available at Home Depot. It is an aerosol unit you fill with regular paints and spray. I used it for a few small parts on my car when I didn't want to get the gun dirty.