News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 fender removal

Started by 41husk, January 19, 2007, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I have most of the fender unbolted, do I have to remove the bumper to get it off?  can some one tell me what has to be unbolted from the front to get this lose?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Charger1973

There is the obvious bolts on top, and a couple underneath in front of the door.  There are some that connect it to the front valance...  I think the ones you are having trouble with is probably the rubber "support" that is connected to the front of the fender and goes inside the front bumper.  You can unbolt it, you may need to remove the grille but im not certain.  They are kind of a pain because the headlight buckets are attached to the fender so it may be easier if you remove the whole front bumper assembly first.  If you're going to take it off anyway, I would recommend it coming off first.  Best way to do that is just remove the bumper brackets from the frame (2 large bolts on either side) and pull it all off at once.  Then the unbolted fenders will just lift right off. 

41husk

Thanks that should do it, I want to paint my bumpers body color any how.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Nacho-RT74

Fender does not have just the rubber cusshion attached inside the front fender, It also has a diagonal bracket attached to lower bumper reinforcement, and shares the same bolt ( lower one ) than the rubber cushion inside the fender.

To remove this assembly is a mandatory remove grille to get access. Anyway will need to remove the grille to get acces also to valance/fender bolts ( 7/16" ). But trust me these last bolts are finally easier remove them without bumper.

Beside this bolts on front THERE IS A STUD with 1/2" nut inside the fender, on cowl area, close to antenna. You can see it once you removed plastic shield or also opening the door.

Note about the bumper removal: with exception if you already have front valance removed, will be practically impossible remove the bumper with all 4 frame rails brackets because the center ones are wider/elongated and won't get enogh room to pass between frame rail and front valance, so you'll need to unbolt the center ones from bumper. This ones are attached to bumper guards, and will be removed by wheel opening side. You will notice these brackets slide one over the other easilly, but is a two guys job.

However you can remove the bumper without frame rail brackets, keeping them on frame rails and in fact there is a cut out provided on lower bumper reinforcement to outer bolts to make that. These cut outs are visible once you remove grilles.

My advice is, let the frame rails brackets on car
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html