News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct power booster check valve? 69 B-body disc

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, January 26, 2007, 06:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Anyone have a pic of the "correct" power brake booster check valve for a 69 B body with discs?
This would be for the crimped style Bendix power booster.
Should it have 1 nipple or 2?  Color?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

I don't have a pic but am interested in knowing the answer to this.  I looked up the brake check valve on rockauto for both a 69 charger and a 69 New Yorker (both used the Bendix crimped dual diaphram booster).  They list two Raybestos Part Numbers.  One is a CV89005 which was for the charger.  It has one nipple coming out the top of the valve and one out the side.  The New Yorker listed a CV89004 with one nipple coming out the side and the other coming out the other side (opposite 180 degrees).  They appear to be made of white or off-white plastic and come with grommet and plug if you don't need one of the nipples.  Didn't the charger have one line running from the check valve to the vacuum fitting on the manifold and another line running from the other nipple to the vacuum canister?  My car didn't originally come with a booster but I am retrofitting one so this is why I am interested.  Oh, there is a check valve and grommet package  for Bendix power brake booster listed on the long list of so called "NOS" parts that has appeared on this site in the past.  It is a 3420973 superseded to 4271382.  The last number is still active and lists for about $15.  I don't know what this part really is as the Dodge sites don't have pictures nor do I know if it has one nipple or two or the orientation of the nipples.  Anyway, someone will post a picture and that will solve the mystery.  Thanks.

resq302

Chris, my car has the check valve that has the off white color and has the nipples 180 degrees from each other.  This was what was on my car when I got it as it was coded for power disc brakes from the factory.  When I had my power brake booster rebuilt, they installed a new one that was exactly the same and the company said it was correct for disc equipped cars.  Knowing how Mopar changed vendors frequently, anything is possible and it could have also been plant specific. 

You also might want to check with MoparJohn as his car is a factory disc brake car and was built 3 days prior to my car to see what kind of check valve his car has also.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

I am definately getting conflicting reports....some say 1 nipple, some say 2.  I have seen 440 & Hemi cars with both  (Hemi cars mostly with a white 90º single nipple style)

The cars that I have seen with 2 nipples in use were the cars with cruise control.  Non cruise cars with the 2 nipples had one blocked off.  The vac line for the can always went to the manifold

Also some are saying that the valve should be painted black along with the booster/master assy
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Chris,

I just dug out the factory repair manual and checked some of the pictures in there.  The show the check valve with the one line going to the vacuum on the engine going into the large flat surface of the check valve with a smaller nipple at a 90 degree angle to the one from the engine.  This is on the picture with a Bendix style booser and disc brake m/c.  (page 5-23 of the repair manual)

Now to confuse matters worse, below the above picture, they have a diagram for a Bendix power brake assembly drum and disc brakes with the drum m/c shown.  (I was always led to believe that if you got power drum brakes, you got a Midland Ross type booster)  That booster is the same as the booster above but has only 1 nipple and vacuum line going to it with no other nipple shown.  Yet where the vacuum line attaches to the engine only has a vacuum port with 1 nipple going into the intake manifold.

Looking at the lubrication and maintenance section on page 0-15 and 0-16 they show even more conflicting info as they show a Midland Ross style booster with a disc brake master cyl. on a 318 engine, yet it has an unsilenced air cleaner.    The m/c also appears to be a hemi style as the lines exit out towards the fender, not towards the engine.  The m/c is also painted black yet the booster is a lighter color, probably the gold cad like the Midland Ross units were.

I guess it all boils down to they installed what they had at the time your car came down the line. ??? :shruggy: ??? :shruggy: ??? :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 27, 2007, 06:45:22 AM
I am definately getting conflicting reports....some say 1 nipple, some say 2.  I have seen 440 & Hemi cars with both  (Hemi cars mostly with a white 90º single nipple style)

The cars that I have seen with 2 nipples in use were the cars with cruise control.  Non cruise cars with the 2 nipples had one blocked off.  The vac line for the can always went to the manifold

Also some are saying that the valve should be painted black along with the booster/master assy

Chris,

FWIW...the vacuum fitting MAY be model/ application specific or possibly PNs were superceeded during the year. I did a quick scan of the 69 BS I have.

It appears that 69 Chargers B41/B51 recieved the '66' valve. But I also show the 66 was used on a B31/B51 and a B51 only car.

I also show for Chargers:

'38' for a B51 car and a B31/B51 car
'86' for manual as well as a B31 car
'25' also for a manual car.
I show '31' for two Charger 500's B41/B51 Hemi cars.

The only Charger application number that shows up for other 69 B bodies is '66' application for a B41/B51 Hemi GTX. The rest of the B bodies have different numbers.

I only cross referenced by B code and VAC FIT. I can look at it my sheet more in depth if you want me to.

This may be a partial answer to the paint question. If there were that many different vacuum fitting applications for the same brake set up, the brake assembly person would not know what specific application the booster/MC was going into so how would they know what check valve to install before painting? Wouldn't it make more sense to paint a more general application (the booster and MC) and have the unpainted valve installed later on the line?:Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

resq302

Do you have a picture of what the "66" valve looks like?  Or does it look like the one in the pic below?  (that is what mine looks like)
Brian

69CoronetRT

Quote from: resq302 on January 27, 2007, 10:56:52 AM
Do you have a picture of what the "66" valve looks like?  Or does it look like the one in the pic below?  (that is what mine looks like)

I'm curious, is the PN on the part?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

resq302

Or are you talking about something like this?
Brian

resq302

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 27, 2007, 11:03:43 AM

I'm curious, is the PN on the part?

I dont know.  That was just a picture I had saved to use as a reference in case I ever needed a new part that I would have the part number to compare it to or to try to order through a local Dodge dealer.
Brian

Chatt69chgr

I looked up the 3420129 on mymopar and it says it's the check valve for most 69-71 Bendix boosters.  Tried looking it up to see if you could buy one and can't find it on any of the Mopar sites I have for buying new parts.  Must not be available from MOPAR anymore.  If someone has better resources, I would like to know if it is available and if so, what the Mopar number is if it has been superceded as well as the price.  If it isn't available anymore, the Raybestos CV89004 looks to be more or less the same thing.

69fuchs

This is the valve that has been on all of my pdb 1969 chargers. (I have had 3 original cars)  Someone was reproducing them for a while, but they were stupid expensive (like $100.00)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for all the help guys.  I agree this a confusing stuff!

I was looking in the 69 parts manual and it seems that the correct # for a power disc brake car the # is 3004626 which a few of the "collector" dealers still have ...they want $60 & up for these.  It seems as though they are a dual nipple design with 1 pointing striaght up & the other off to the side 90º
Much like the above pic

I think for now I will grab the $8 Raybestos one & call it a day.....now should it be painted black with the rest of the booster :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Brian

Back N Black

This is the check valve on mine,just bought the booster on Saturday from UAP/NAPA.I guess these guys can still get the check valve?

resq302

Looks like that check valve has one extra fitting on it though.  Also, the booster doesnt look like an original Bendix unit.  Didn't the originals have recessed areas on it?
Brian

8WHEELER

Those are pretty much all anybody out there sells these days. I don't like
looking at a check valve that has three ports plugged, so I just use the one
port valve, but try and find one, if you can let me know.

The top picture is what I prefer, the bottom pic seems to be the way most of them are,
so I am thinking it might be correct  :shruggy:
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Just 6T9 CHGR

This is the Cardone booster I got that is made of unobtanium........searched for almost a month for it and the correct master.....

It has this valve on it

Now another question to ponder........is there supposed to be a gasket between the master & the booster?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

Brian this is a drum brake ck valve I believe.I have one here in stock

Booster and valve are both painted gloss black as an assy.

I'll have to dig thru my pics and see if I have any of a 1969 survivor disc brake car .

Hmmmmmmm, power brakes this week, sounds like it's only a matter of time until the A/C is back on it .......

resq302

Bill,

Just to confirm, they were painted 30 degree gloss black? 

Brian
Brian

gtx6970

Quote from: resq302 on January 29, 2007, 08:44:58 PM
Bill,

Just to confirm, they were painted 30 degree gloss black? 

Brian

By todays paint standards, Yes it will be a low gloss black. In 1969 it was just plain old TX9 paint

resq302

Ok, so the entire assembly was painted with the master cyl bolted to the booster.  I guess I need to paint the 4 nuts that hold the m/c to the booster then and find a correct check valve.
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

This is the one I just ordered from Rock Auto for $6

Bill do you concur that there was no gasket between the master & booster?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 29, 2007, 08:39:04 PM

Hmmmmmmm, power brakes this week, sounds like it's only a matter of time until the A/C is back on it .......

Oh geez...I certainly hope not..... :rotz:

You know what the problem is?  Im running out of things to do......maybe time for a new car :scratchchin:

NOT! :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 29, 2007, 09:05:50 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on January 29, 2007, 08:39:04 PM

Oh geez...I certainly hope not..... :rotz:

You know what the problem is?  Im running out of things to do......maybe time for a new car :scratchchin:

NOT! :thumbs:

You dont have to sell your car, just get another project   ;D
Brian

gtx6970

Ok,. I just ck'd the setup I have stashed away and there is NO gasket between the booster and master cyl. it Doesn't appear to have ever been apart. I've had this setup  for at least 10 years just stuck away in the shed.One of these days I'm either gonna use it or sell it

I did  find out Mine doesn't have the ck valve in it so I'll have to keep an eye out for one now.

8WHEELER

Quote from: gtx6970 on January 29, 2007, 09:21:27 PM
Ok,. I just ck'd the setup I have stashed away and there is NO gasket between the booster and master cyl. it Doesn't appear to have ever been apart. I've had this setup  for at least 10 years just stuck away in the shed.One of these days I'm either gonna use it or sell it

I did  find out Mine doesn't have the ck valve in it so I'll have to keep an eye out for one now.

:iagree:  no gasket between the two, Chris that is the same booster I put in my car last year. They told
me its correct for drum and disc brakes, one thing, I thought you had and liked your manual brakes?

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 30, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

:iagree: no gasket between the two, Chris that is the same booster I put in my car last year. They told
me its correct for drum and disc brakes, one thing, I thought you had and liked your manual brakes?

Dan

I do & did Dan....like I said above, running out of things "to do" ;)
I thought it would be a nice addition though.  If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right with all the "correct" stuff..... :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Uh oh, does this mean that your aftermarket intake is coming out and a correct cast iron one is going in too? :scratchchin:
Brian

Shakey

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 30, 2007, 07:54:14 AM
Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 30, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

:iagree: no gasket between the two, Chris that is the same booster I put in my car last year. They told

Dan

I do & did Dan....like I said above, running out of things "to do" ;)
I thought it would be a nice addition though.  If I was going to do it, I wanted to do it right with all the "correct" stuff..... :thumbs:

So the hunt begins for the "correct" spindles and calipers and........ :pity:

resq302

Mike,

Those spindle assemblies would be "correct" for a 70 Charger. :pity:
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on January 30, 2007, 08:42:17 AM
Uh oh, does this mean that your aftermarket intake is coming out and a correct cast iron one is going in too? :scratchchin:
Nope...that intake is worth at least 2 tenths at the track where I'm having more fun as of late....   :drive:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 30, 2007, 09:47:36 AM
Quote from: resq302 on January 30, 2007, 08:42:17 AM
Nope...that intake is worth at least 2 tenths at the track where I'm having more fun as of late....   :drive:

So I guess all that heavy A/C stuff is not going back in then either.   ;D
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Shakey

Quote from: resq302 on January 30, 2007, 08:58:37 AM
Mike,

Those spindle assemblies would be "correct" for a 70 Charger. :pity:

How can you tell the difference by looking at them?

resq302

on the 69's the caliper bolted directly to the spindle and did not use any adapter plate like in your picture.  Also, the backing plates were rounded and not squared off where they met the caliper area.
Brian

rare69

Chris, could you tell me where you got the cardone booster and part number. thats the last brake piece in my puzzle, cant seem to find one.

resq302

I asked Chris the same thing since they seem to be so hard to find, I was going to try and pick up on as a spare for me.  I went onto Rockauto.com to see if they even had any there.  No luck.  The only rebuild and restore yours that you send to them.  Supposedly they do repro the boosters but I have not seen what they look like.  The thing is once you find the booster, you still need to get the linkage for it.
Brian

rare69

i have the linkage and master cylinder just need the booster. and since my car was drum brake car not disc and i am using willwood front discs my booster wont work even if i had it restored.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The Cardone # is 54-73603.  It took me a month of searching online to see who had one.  Found one out in CA.
Spoke to a Cardone rep and she stated they havent had any in almost 2 years.   Im sure there is a few still floating around on a mom & pop auto parts store somewhere.

Check eBay as well....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I just checked ebay.  No disc brake boosters on there.  new, reman'd or even used.   :rotz:
Brian

rare69

thanks Chris, the part number should help the search.

resq302

just found one by a seller by the name of Chgr69rt,  Chris you know who this guy is?  Seems like he is promoting your registry site as well   ;D   :icon_smile_big:
Brian

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

MBM Brakes out of Asheville, NC is supposed to be repoping the Bendix dual diaphram booster.  Their retail outlet is Pirate Jack I think---also in Asheville.  I believe you can google them up.  I've been checking with them since last April on the booster.  Not sure what the release date is now but last time I called it was supposed to be this spring.  They have really good stuff and I think that eventually they will have this part.  Maybe more folks ought to call them and talk to a sales guy and bug them.  Don't just talk to the nice lady that answers the phone.  They say they will tell the sales guy but you know thats bull.  I will say that every time I have talked to these guys they have been very curteous and as honest as they could be.  So be nice to them. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

I remember their website last year saying the same thing.....Available Spring of '06 :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

rare69

just talked to mbm and thay said should be out in a month. :yesnod:

resq302

Quote from: rare69 on February 01, 2007, 01:11:38 AM
just talked to mbm and thay said should be out in a month. :yesnod:

Is it one of those "the check is in the mail" deals or does this guy actually follow through?  Will the bell crank be included and what kind of price are they looking to get for it?
Brian

Lord Warlock

I suppose i could lift my hood and take a picture of mine, I replaced my disc brake booster back in 1982, so it may or may not have the original check valve in it.  I seem to remember that when i replaced the booster the check valve I kept was the original, and I do believe there was a gasket to hold it in the booster (wouldn't fit tight otherwise)

In case someone is desperate for bendix calipers, i do have a spare set of them.  I am waiting to see if a shop can rebuild my spare set before I decide what to do with the originals, they'd need rebuilding though, but are in good shape, seals around the pistons still so don't think they'd be rusted. Just got a call that a shop is looking into rebuild kits for the caliper set i gave my dad to look around for me.  (didn't want to ship them to get them rebuilt) I do know they are originals off of a 69 disc car though. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Chatt69chgr

The price was going to be something like $200-$225 or so as I recall.  The bellcrank would not be included I don't think.  It is strictly a junkyard item but Chrysler used this apparatus on 10 years or so cars so scoring one shouldn't be too difficult.  They told me that they actually did get one in from their supplier but didn't like the quality.  That was last year.  So they are supposedly working with the supplier to get the part in stock.  You don't actually have to use this particular booster if you need one right now.  The midland ross was used in 1970.  If one had to, they could use one of those to get the car going and switch out the correct booster later.  There are some good tech info on the piratejack site.  One place I would be wary of is Master Power Brakes.  They fixed their website so you can't access the tech info until you actually buy something from them. I called their marketing guy about this and he said they didn't want anyone stealing their info.  But you can order a $5 fitting and then be a customer and access the tech info.  He wouldn't make any exceptions and was quite nasty about the whole issue even after I explained that I needed the tech info to make an informed decision on buying some of their stuff.  Go figure.  Their whole claim to fame seems to be to take advantage of the paucity of information on disc brake upgrades to sell you a "package".  They really don't want people doing their own thing.  Personally, after my experience with them, I hope MBM puts them out of business.

SpudRacer

I was looking in the 69 parts manual and it seems that the correct # for a power disc brake car the # is 3004626 which a few of the "collector" dealers still have ...they want $60 & up for these.  It seems as though they are a dual nipple design with 1 pointing striaght up & the other off to the side 90º
Much like the above pic

My restoration book states  The Midland booster part number is 3004625, and the Bendix unit used part number 3004627, except for the Hemi models which used P/N 3004626.  As for the number of nipples, cars with concealed headlights had at least two nipples, one for the vacuum line from the manifold, and one going forward, I'm assuming a vacuum supply for the headlights?

I have figured out it is my check valve that broke last year, and now I'm searching for a new one for my 69' R/T with a Bendix disc brakes system.  Anyone know someone who still has any check valves??  I'm coming up empty.

Thanks.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

resq302

I got my correct appearing one from Rockauto.com.   Only difference is that the ones they sell are a light gray plastic versus the original one being made of black plastic.
Brian

SpudRacer

I went out to look under the hood, Mine has the vacuum line on one side, and a smaller nipple for headlights?? on the other side with the broken nipple on the forward facing surface.  I looked at www.Rockauto.com, and checked under Raybestos CV89005, it only appears to have two nipples.  Shouldn't it have three like the one that is broken on my R/T?  Someone mentioned earlier CV89004, but that part number no longer appears valid.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC

resq302

I am pretty sure that all Chargers had the two nipple design on the booster.  The other vacuum accessories came off of the nipple fitting on the intake manifold between the carb and the firewall.
Brian

SpudRacer

OK, I've ordered the Raybestos part, we'll see if it works...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC

69 OUR/TEA

Here is a pic of my booster,which I am pretty sure is orig,did not appear to been ever removed from car,until me,still had the thick paint on it.The valve is green w/two ports,one on top,other on side.Then my two NOS unobtainiums,which came with single ports(have to change for use in a charger).

SpudRacer

Roger that, thanks for the wonderful pics, sets my mind at ease.  I got my Raybestos part, and it looks just like your green one.  I thought the check valve was supposed to be painted 30 degrees black though?

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC

resq302

Yes, they were painted the same time the master cyl and booster were.  They were assembled and then painted as a unit.
Brian