News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Leaf Spring Isolators

Started by 66charger73, August 12, 2008, 07:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66charger73

I am going to replace the rear springs in my 73 and I want to know if I can eliminate the leaf spring isolator pads instead of replacing them. Is there any special parts I would need? Or modify anything? It currently has an 8 1/4 rear. And if anyone has an opinion on Firm Feel torsion bars and which size are best for a street/daily driver it would be greatly appreciated.

Nacho-RT74

some stuff to consider:

-axle pedestal are shorter on 73 and later to compensate the extra height added by isolators and clamps
-Guide hole is wider on 73/74 to fit the isolation guide.

( the height diff not a definitelly conclusion, just thinking on why some stuff is diff between earliers and laters axles, like rear sway bar )

then if you replace spring be sure:
-Stud Guide doesn't have the extra bushing to fint inside isolator. 73/74 springs have a metalic bushing or cup attached directly on guide stud/bolt to fit inside the isolation pad. Extra info: Not sure about this but I have found 5/16" stud/bolts on non isolated and 3/8" guide stud/bolt on isolated springs with the bushing, I'm sure about the last but unsure on the non isolated are 5/16, since my replacement springs were made locally and found with 5/16" guides. Dunno if in USA is the same.
-front hanger bushing hole is the same size than you spring hanger bolt. Laters ( 74 for sure, some 73 maybe since I have found both sizes setup on several 73s ) used smaller bolt to fit bigger isolation bushing on same outer diameter.

-and WILL NEED to change the lower plate ( where shock bolts ) to match also between the guide stud/bolt size and hole on plate without isolator
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

craigandlynda

in short: keep the original setup. why remove it? :shruggy:

Mr_fixit

You can remove the isolator hardware,  use the spring plates from any  8 1/4 rear car or 8 3/4 rear car that doesn't have the isolator crap. As an added bonus,  the rear of the car will be higher some..

You'll also need to make or find some type of washer dohicky to go from the large hole on the spring seats of the rear to the smaller bolt (& washer adapter thingie) holding the spring together. and you may need to drill the spring plates that would normally used a 5/16 bolt & nut to fit the larger bolt  size 3/8" ( that holds the springs together)

I've done this for someone else , but it's been so long I can't remember....... exactly what I did.

there's an actual Chrysler part that Chrysler made to eliminate the iso clamp stuff.. they used it on some police cars.. Looks like a concave washer that fits in the larger hole of the spring seats
. ( I  just found out about these yesterday).