News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct power booster check valve? 69 B-body disc

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, January 26, 2007, 06:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Warlock

I suppose i could lift my hood and take a picture of mine, I replaced my disc brake booster back in 1982, so it may or may not have the original check valve in it.  I seem to remember that when i replaced the booster the check valve I kept was the original, and I do believe there was a gasket to hold it in the booster (wouldn't fit tight otherwise)

In case someone is desperate for bendix calipers, i do have a spare set of them.  I am waiting to see if a shop can rebuild my spare set before I decide what to do with the originals, they'd need rebuilding though, but are in good shape, seals around the pistons still so don't think they'd be rusted. Just got a call that a shop is looking into rebuild kits for the caliper set i gave my dad to look around for me.  (didn't want to ship them to get them rebuilt) I do know they are originals off of a 69 disc car though. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Chatt69chgr

The price was going to be something like $200-$225 or so as I recall.  The bellcrank would not be included I don't think.  It is strictly a junkyard item but Chrysler used this apparatus on 10 years or so cars so scoring one shouldn't be too difficult.  They told me that they actually did get one in from their supplier but didn't like the quality.  That was last year.  So they are supposedly working with the supplier to get the part in stock.  You don't actually have to use this particular booster if you need one right now.  The midland ross was used in 1970.  If one had to, they could use one of those to get the car going and switch out the correct booster later.  There are some good tech info on the piratejack site.  One place I would be wary of is Master Power Brakes.  They fixed their website so you can't access the tech info until you actually buy something from them. I called their marketing guy about this and he said they didn't want anyone stealing their info.  But you can order a $5 fitting and then be a customer and access the tech info.  He wouldn't make any exceptions and was quite nasty about the whole issue even after I explained that I needed the tech info to make an informed decision on buying some of their stuff.  Go figure.  Their whole claim to fame seems to be to take advantage of the paucity of information on disc brake upgrades to sell you a "package".  They really don't want people doing their own thing.  Personally, after my experience with them, I hope MBM puts them out of business.

SpudRacer

I was looking in the 69 parts manual and it seems that the correct # for a power disc brake car the # is 3004626 which a few of the "collector" dealers still have ...they want $60 & up for these.  It seems as though they are a dual nipple design with 1 pointing striaght up & the other off to the side 90º
Much like the above pic

My restoration book states  The Midland booster part number is 3004625, and the Bendix unit used part number 3004627, except for the Hemi models which used P/N 3004626.  As for the number of nipples, cars with concealed headlights had at least two nipples, one for the vacuum line from the manifold, and one going forward, I'm assuming a vacuum supply for the headlights?

I have figured out it is my check valve that broke last year, and now I'm searching for a new one for my 69' R/T with a Bendix disc brakes system.  Anyone know someone who still has any check valves??  I'm coming up empty.

Thanks.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

resq302

I got my correct appearing one from Rockauto.com.   Only difference is that the ones they sell are a light gray plastic versus the original one being made of black plastic.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

SpudRacer

I went out to look under the hood, Mine has the vacuum line on one side, and a smaller nipple for headlights?? on the other side with the broken nipple on the forward facing surface.  I looked at www.Rockauto.com, and checked under Raybestos CV89005, it only appears to have two nipples.  Shouldn't it have three like the one that is broken on my R/T?  Someone mentioned earlier CV89004, but that part number no longer appears valid.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC

resq302

I am pretty sure that all Chargers had the two nipple design on the booster.  The other vacuum accessories came off of the nipple fitting on the intake manifold between the carb and the firewall.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

SpudRacer

OK, I've ordered the Raybestos part, we'll see if it works...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC

69 OUR/TEA

Here is a pic of my booster,which I am pretty sure is orig,did not appear to been ever removed from car,until me,still had the thick paint on it.The valve is green w/two ports,one on top,other on side.Then my two NOS unobtainiums,which came with single ports(have to change for use in a charger).

SpudRacer

Roger that, thanks for the wonderful pics, sets my mind at ease.  I got my Raybestos part, and it looks just like your green one.  I thought the check valve was supposed to be painted 30 degrees black though?

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC

resq302

Yes, they were painted the same time the master cyl and booster were.  They were assembled and then painted as a unit.
Brian